PDA

View Full Version : Length of Glory of their Times, audio?

Ericc22
01-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Greetings,

I just wanted to confirm, that the audio version of Glory of their Times by Ritter is just under 5 hours in length? I am assuming so, but just wanted to make sure that I am not missing a part of this treasure. I read on this forum that there are plans to release more at some point - I'd love that!

Thanks.

Eric

Hankphenom
01-29-2012, 11:19 PM
The audio set of 4 CD's runs almost exactly 5 hours. I co-produced and edited it, and have heard of no plans to release any more. As I've said in previous Net54 posts related to "Glory," I believe any release of much more material than is on the published set would prove a disappointment to all but the most dedicated and patient baseball fans compared to what you can hear now. Perhaps the Hall of Fame, which owns the rights to Ritter's original interview tapes, will someday make the entire 100+ hours available online, and you can judge for yourself. Fans of individual players, or their teams, would of course find those raw tapes at least worth listening to once, but in general the vast majority of the great material we (Neal McCabe and I) found on the tapes made it onto the set.
Hank Thomas

GrayGhost
01-30-2012, 05:23 AM
I used to have the CASSETT :eek:set of this. its simply amazing. Once I can swing it, I shall get the CD's . Its so great.

scmavl
01-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Hank, you did a great job. It's a joy to listen to, never drags, and is interesting all the way through. I've probably listened to it a dozen times.

Hankphenom
01-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Hank, you did a great job. It's a joy to listen to, never drags, and is interesting all the way through. I've probably listened to it a dozen times.

Thanks, Jarrod, much appreciated. I'm very proud of the job we did editing the material, but the real magic lies in the players personalities, their stories, and Larry's interviewing technique, which allowed them to rummage through time in their minds without interruption.
Hank

Ericc22
01-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the info Hank. And, thank you for making this excellent product!

Eric

Hankphenom
01-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the info Hank. And, thank you for making this excellent product!

Eric

You're quite welcome, Eric. Thanks!

71buc
01-30-2012, 10:59 PM
I recently purchased it on iTunes and their version is a bit over 4 hours.

Hankphenom
01-31-2012, 09:04 AM
I recently purchased it on iTunes and their version is a bit over 4 hours.

I wonder what they took out, and why? I assume they licensed it from our publisher, Highbridge Audio. Do you get any kind of detailed times for each segment from iTunes? Or copyright info, etc? If so, please post.

71buc
01-31-2012, 09:39 PM
It is actually 4:52:43. Sorry for the earlier misinformation. It is attributed to high bridge company 1998. I don't have my iPod here with me however I think the audio book loads in four sections. Then again based on my previous estimation of the playing time there is a great likelihood that I am mistaken:p

jt39
02-01-2012, 12:35 PM
I have been meaning to pick up a copy for quite some time, and reading this thread has motivated me to finally do so!

I had one related comment -- I enjoy playing broadcasts of old ballgames in my office while I work, especially during the winter. However, other than paying gobs of money for single-game broadcasts, I haven't been able to find a lot of resources online for new material.

Obviously, I understand there are copyright issues and am not looking for illegal downloads. But does anyone know of any legitimate sites that have old baseball radio material?

The one source I've found, which is really nice but doesn't have too many longer clips, is this one: http://contursi.freeyellow.com/baseballtour/sounds2.html