PDA

View Full Version : Spalding Base Ball Sign

ruth-gehrig
01-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Anyone with this Spalding glass Base Ball Sign on ebay?? I was the underbidder the seller wouldn't allow winner to pick up in person. :confused: I hope if someone won it from the board it arrives in one piece! I can imagine how fragile it must be.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130634929847?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

MGHPro
01-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Do you think it was real? I was a little skeptical of the piece.

slidekellyslide
01-29-2012, 08:56 PM
The first thing I'd do is have the paint tested for lead. No lead..no real. :D

ruth-gehrig
01-29-2012, 08:56 PM
The biggest problem I had with the entire deal was the seller wouldn't allow the buyer to pick up in person. That was a red flag. Now on such a fragile piece wouldn't it be easier on the seller to not have to ship?? In addition to not having to deal with an insurance claim when it gets broken from the UPS man throwing it down on the porch? Now I can understand not wanting to meet a buyer at your house but why not a public place such as a gas station or any public place. That in a way makes me leary of the piece because if one saw it in person maybe you could tell it was no good. I don't know:confused:

ruth-gehrig
01-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Doesn't it appear that the S in Spalding starts much lower on the piece of glass and where the g ends? I guess that doesn't make it a fake but does appear a bit "sloppy"

Forever Young
01-29-2012, 09:01 PM
The biggest problem I had with the entire deal was the seller wouldn't allow the buyer to pick up in person. That was a red flag. Now on such a fragile piece wouldn't it be easier on the seller to not have to ship?? In addition to not having to deal with an insurance claim when it gets broken from the UPS man throwing it down on the porch? Now I can understand not wanting to meet a buyer at your house but why not a public place such as a gas station or any public place. That in a way makes me leary of the piece because if one saw it in person maybe you could tell it was no good. I don't know:confused:

I agree, but man... you just never know. I have had some of my best buys EVER on ebay when taking a chance(no one else did). There are a lot of quirky people out there. If it is real, it sure is a cool piece. $500 is an expensive lotto ticket though...:eek:

slidekellyslide
01-29-2012, 09:10 PM
An easy test for lead is probably the best way to tell if this is a fake. I think you can buy lead testing kits for about $10 at a hardware store.

ruth-gehrig
01-29-2012, 09:28 PM
If the buyer is on the board I would love to know the results of a lead test. Yeah it will make a neat piece if it arrives in a single piece.

GrayGhost
01-30-2012, 05:26 AM
Ive seen similar Painted signs for tickets and stuff on ebay. I'd be extremely leery of this being original also.

Mr. Zipper
01-30-2012, 08:48 AM

Paypal may be the reason for this. The seller loses all "seller protection" if the item is not shipped and does not have verifiable record of delivery. For instance, the buyer could pay via Paypal, pick it up, and then file a complaint that "he didn't get it." With no record of delivery, the seller is screwed.

However, if the buyer was paying cash on the spot, that would be a different story...

jerseygary
01-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Overall the type layout on the sign doesn't look right to me. I recreate advertising graphics for movies and television shows and spend many hours trying to get things like this to look as accurate to the time period as possible. The Spalding in the center looks well done but the other copy especially the "E. 17th" looks poorly executed especially the spacing in between the letters of "SPORTING GOODS" and BASE BALLS". And thinking about it, why would someone have the street name on their window instead of the building number? Something isn't right. I would have had to have rock-solid photographic evidence that this was a real sign before I bid on it, otherwise I'm putting it down to someone who salvaged a bunch of old transom windows and went to town with the model paint in the basement.

perezfan
01-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Aside from authenticity concerns... isn't it kind of ugly? I don't see much that's attractive about this one. Looks just like poorly executed junk to me.

jsage
01-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Aside from authenticity concerns... isn't it kind of ugly? I don't see much that's attractive about this one. Looks just like poorly executed junk to me.

Mark -
Good post!
We do share the same opinions when it comes to - honesty and quality.
Jerry

CarltonHendricks
02-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Anyone with this Spalding glass Base Ball Sign on ebay?? I was the underbidder the seller wouldn't allow winner to pick up in person. :confused: I hope if someone won it from the board it arrives in one piece! I can imagine how fragile it must be.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130634929847?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Michael, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it...I think you should breath a sigh of relief you were outbid...That sign looks desperate to me from the get go...The words BASE in one corner and BALL in the other seem really over the top with the intent to appear archaic. SPORTING and GOODS is even more laughable. And the E. 17th without a street number defies logic on multiple levels. That is, did the sign intend to direct people to a Spalding store on E. 17th without the street number? Or was the window installed at a Spalding store on E. 17th and the designer wanted to let people know what street they were on? The only thing that adds up about that sign is 20 bids equal $510.00...