PDA

View Full Version : Wool Home Spun Uni w Bill Zuber (Yankees) Connection

bwild22
01-28-2012, 05:40 PM
I am not trying to be a thread hog here - but it did not connect to put inside my last thread so I started a fresh one - I just thought some might enjoy seeing this item.

First off, at glance it might not seem overly impressive - the truth intrigue lies inside what it actually is.... This is a 1920s Homespun Wool Uniform from the Middle Amana Colonies in Iowa. This was an "Amish Like" colony - where baseball was illegal until the 20s! When they created their original team - probably only 12-15 of these made - NO NUMBERS ON THE BACK - well BILL ZUBER of the YANKEES was the well-known who originated from this local colony team.... I made calls down there and the antique and tourist shops have not seen another - they took my phone # and I did receive a call from an older man wanting me to explain the uniform - he said his dad played on the team - i explained the uniform and he said it was spot on to the picture he had - which he said was the only picture of the team he had seen - he was supposed to send me a copy of the picture (but i never received it and lost his phone #) Anyway, the question of whether this was Zubers or a teammates is a crap shoot - no idea - with no numbers itd be virtually impossible to match unless I could locate an old photo and try to do some matching of the blemishes or whatnot but thats a far stretch... There are a few moth holes that occurred prior to me getting this - I just have always been very attracted to this item - especially since there are no more remains of the baseball field in the middle amanas today :) the amanas are a tourist attraction to this day