PDA

View Full Version : "1910-ish" E-unc McGraw black & white card...what is this??

shammus
01-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Acquired this little beauty in a trade a few years ago with a good hobby friend and board member. Never did quite figure out what it is though. It's about the size of a standard caramel card printed on thin cardboard stock. The sides of the card are just wavy enough to make me think that whatever it is, it's borders have been trimmed off completely except for the caption at the bottom. The back is blank.

About the only other thing I know about it is that this pose is only seen on his e94 and not used anywhere else that I'm aware of.

Any thoughts?

Leon
01-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Maybe it was cut from an ad piece that was advertising the cards coming with the candy? It reminds me of these 2 "proofs" which are even more like their counterpart than yours, which is close in it's own right.

http://luckeycards.com/pe100comparisonx4.jpg

Brian Van Horn
01-28-2012, 05:34 PM
I don't know what it is, but I know it was offered about three or four years ago on eBay because I bid on it.

caramelcard
01-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Totally forgot about this one.

Still no idea, but I like it!

If I remember correctly, it had pretty heavy stock right?

fkw
01-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Ive seen this card too, Ive had the image of it saved ...

....saved it from Sep 24 2006 eBay auction.

Its a "Cinderella card"

shammus
01-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Really dig the e100 proofs, Leon!

Rob - it has pretty thin stock...kind of like an m116. Not really that thick IMO. McGraw still looks pretty young in this photo so maybe somewhere around the 1908-1912 range on this card.

Frank, what's a "Cinderella card"?...heh

shammus
01-28-2012, 09:22 PM
I think someone might have used an Exacto-knife to slice this off of something. The borders are just a bit wavy and have a bit of fraying going on. Plus, if you look close at the left border, you can see sort of a scratch on the card about halfway down that makes me think someone slipped with the knife while working to get the card cut out of whatever it was attached to.

Jaybird
01-28-2012, 09:39 PM
I think someone might have used an Exacto-knife to slice this off of something. The borders are just a bit wavy and have a bit of fraying going on. Plus, if you look close at the left border, you can see sort of a scratch on the card about halfway down that makes me think someone slipped with the knife while working to get the card cut out of whatever it was attached to.

Right but any proof type card would likely be handcut. Look at Leon's cards, look at T206 proofs, etc. If there were a full sheet of players and they were proofs, they would have been hand cut. Not saying that it's a proof but I'm not sure we can rule that out yet.

Exhibitman
01-29-2012, 08:00 AM
What does it look like under magnification? That might help pin down an issue era.