PDA

View Full Version : Gordie Howe Rookie Picture

wondo
01-27-2012, 10:44 AM
I just got my Gordioe howe rookie back from SGC nd now have it paired with the picture below. The photo is a Turofsky from 1948. I think it's really cool! :cool:

Leon
01-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Very neat John. I do the same thing with baseball photos and cards. I probably am up to approximately 25 photos that were used to make cards. Nicely done!!

CW
01-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Awesome x 2! Love the vintage sig on that picture as well, and the "loads of luck" inscription -- sounds like something a hockey player from Canada would say. :) Thanks for sharing.

Bosox Blair
01-30-2012, 02:05 AM
Fantastic on both counts! That is one sharp Howe RC :eek:.

ChiefBenderForever
01-30-2012, 04:51 PM
He used to own a restaurant right up the street and his son Mark still lives here, I just missed him at the little hardware store by a few minutes. The kid was all excited and asked me if I knew who Gordie Howe was, I said well you know Wayne Gretzky was better but if you are talking about Mr. Hockey then yes I know who is is !! Nice card and pic what a combo !!

boysblue
01-30-2012, 07:01 PM
very cool. the one thing i notice is how much his signature has changed since he signed this photo.

wondo
01-30-2012, 09:19 PM
very cool. the one thing i notice is how much his signature has changed since he signed this photo.

Thanks. I have every reason to believe that this is an authentic 1948 autograph (it does have a JSA authentication). He hasn't signed "Gordon" in decades and this is well before the "Mr. Hockey" marketing blitz of the last 25-30 years. As to whether Howe or Gretzky is the best ever, I will be nostalgic and lean toward Howe, but that is just one old man's opinion. I met Howe at a Detroit autoshow in the 1960s. I was a young lad and could barely speak in his presence - he was a very genuine and nice man. Good memories.

boysblue
01-31-2012, 05:34 PM
john

i did not mean to question the autograph's authenticity with my previous comment, and apologize if it was interpreted that way. i guess what i immediately noticed was the G and how much it, in particular, has changed, though it is not uncommon for athletes to modify their signatures over time.

a great pair of items of the second best of all-time. orr. :)

wondo
01-31-2012, 10:15 PM
john

i did not mean to question the autograph's authenticity with my previous comment, and apologize if it was interpreted that way. i guess what i immediately noticed was the G and how much it, in particular, has changed, though it is not uncommon for athletes to modify their signatures over time.

a great pair of items of the second best of all-time. orr. :)

Not taken that way at all - sigs change; I am, at times, unsure how they are authenticated in he first place.