PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on All-Star Dealers?

novakjr
01-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Watched both episodes last night...Seemed interesting(the items). Too bad the Rodman dress won't be reaching the public any time soon... BTW, Spence has gotta lose that tie...

brownscollector78
01-25-2012, 10:05 AM
I love sports collectibles and no shows have been on TV (to my knowledge) that showcase them so obviously I thought it was pretty good overall ....and I agree the bow tie is just dumb.

97manoftroy
01-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Im Third on the horrible Bowtie.....C'mon really with that?? :cool:

ruth-gehrig
01-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Rodman could wear the bowtie and make it "cool". Spence....not so much;) Or should I say Rodman could wear it and make it look way less "dumb"?:p

jacksons
01-26-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm torn. I thought it was entertaining, for sure.

However, as a collector, I was turned off by this guy's behavior. I wouldn't expect other auction houses would want to be filmed referring to someone's consigned items as "crap", or chucking a fresh-out-of-box Ronnie Lott jersey onto someone's desk like it was a sack of potatoes. Just missing some class, I guess.

Mr. Zipper
01-26-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm torn. I thought it was entertaining, for sure.

However, as a collector, I was turned off by this guy's behavior. I wouldn't expect other auction houses would want to be filmed referring to someone's consigned items as "crap", or chucking a fresh-out-of-box Ronnie Lott jersey onto someone's desk like it was a sack of potatoes. Just missing some class, I guess.

I thought it was a bit odd how he continually referred to "losing money" if the item wasn't as valuable as they initially thought it may have been.

To me, it's like complaining you lost money if your lotto ticket was "only" a $10,000 winner instead of a million dollar winner.

I was also surprised at the apparent lack of security to the facility. It was a house with what appeared to be a normal residential front entryway handle and lock. They had a safe, but there was obviously consignments all over the place and they all couldn't fit in that safe.

ruth-gehrig
01-26-2012, 03:31 PM
I thought it was a bit odd how he continually referred to "losing money" if the item wasn't as valuable as they initially thought it may have been.

To me, it's like complaining you lost money if your lotto ticket was "only" a $10,000 winner instead of a million dollar winner.

I was also surprised at the apparent lack of security to the facility. It was a house with what appeared to be a normal residential front entryway handle and lock. They had a safe, but there was obviously consignments all over the place and they all couldn't fit in that safe.

Let me preface this by saying my dad personally knows one of the bigger reality show stars dealing with antiques and after many conversations with him it's obvious that some of the things they show on tv is not how it would be if the camera were not there. I'm speaking in general here about how the reality world works. Reality tv is entertainment. True - yes(as far as I've been told), Enhanced - definately!

His continual "losing money" just oozes greed. I'm not sure if this show will be good or bad for this particular company. It would be interesting to know if any of the other sports auction houses were contenders for this show. Did they try to get Lelands, Legendary, etc?? Why did they choose Grey Flannel??

There are several things I don't believe actually happen outside of the recording for the show. I don't really believe people just send in stuff without first giving them a heads up. Rich said he has to return a lot of "junk" because people just send stuff in all the time. Maybe it happens but hard to believe. I'm not a collector of autographs but at least they don't have the guy with the Inspector Gadget magnify glass on Pawn Stars. At least Spence has more tools at his disposal. Additionally, yes, the lack of security is weird. Don't most auction companies provide insurance on incoming items? Wouldn't their insurance company require more than just the residential front entryway handle and lock? Once again maybe not but hard to believe. It's impossible to say but perhaps the producers believes this makes the business more "personal" as it appears the operation is strictly out of the home. Just a guess.

I just watched the first show and don't think I'll be watching any more.:)

novakjr
01-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Let me preface this by saying my dad personally knows one of the bigger reality show stars dealing with antiques and after many conversations with him it's obvious that some of the things they show on tv is not how it would be if the camera were not there. I'm speaking in general here about how the reality world works. Reality tv is entertainment. True - yes(as far as I've been told), Enhanced - definately!

His continual "losing money" just oozes greed. I'm not sure if this show will be good or bad for this particular company. It would be interesting to know if any of the other sports auction houses were contenders for this show. Did they try to get Lelands, Legendary, etc?? Why did they choose Grey Flannel??

There are several things I don't believe actually happen outside of the recording for the show. I don't really believe people just send in stuff without first giving them a heads up. Rich said he has to return a lot of "junk" because people just send stuff in all the time. Maybe it happens but hard to believe. I'm not a collector of autographs but at least they don't have the guy with the Inspector Gadget magnify glass on Pawn Stars. At least Spence has more tools at his disposal. Additionally, yes, the lack of security is weird. Don't most auction companies provide insurance on incoming items? Wouldn't their insurance company require more than just the residential front entryway handle and lock? Once again maybe not but hard to believe. It's impossible to say but perhaps the producers believes this makes the business more "personal" as it appears the operation is strictly out of the home. Just a guess.

I just watched the first show and don't think I'll be watching any more.:)
Agreed completely. Although, I'll probably just keep watching to see what kind of stuff they get on there. To me, that's the entertainment, and not the process. Unfortunately for ratings and such, they've gotta BS their way through the shows to make it more dramatic..

In real life, I don't think they meet with Worthy about those shoes. I think they'd simply have Spence check the auto's, photomatch the shoes, and rely on the consignor's(player's) word.

RichardSimon
01-26-2012, 04:30 PM
The New York Times review bombed the show.

brownscollector78
01-26-2012, 04:39 PM
I'll probably just keep watching to see what kind of stuff they get on there. To me, that's the entertainment, and not the process

I completely agree...it's entertainment. I guess I didn't even think about any of the things you guys brought up.

Mr. Zipper
01-27-2012, 02:32 PM
One other thing...

Does anyone believe the hype about the Rodman wedding dress being a $100,000 - $150,000 item? Really? In 10 years will anyone care or remember this dumb publicity stunt?

I don't follow basketball, but is this remotely possible? We're talking about a dress he wore to a booksigning for cripe sakes... hardly "sports history."

:confused:

novakjr
01-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Steve. I agree, the estimate sounds ridiculous. BUT he is a hall of famer, and even though it's not basketball related, it's probably one of his most memorable moments. Especially, given the modern reality show driven media frenzy. I've never checked the numbers, but I'd guess a Kim Kardashian or Justin Bieber autograph probably sells for more than most high-end athletes.. Either way, the dress is not only a Basketball collectible, but the holy-grail of a pop-culture icon. And we all know that fans of these pop-culture, reality-show types aren't exactly the most rational people..

Big Six
01-27-2012, 02:53 PM
My guess is they give folks appearances in exchange for offering them a platform for whatever they are pitching/selling/lobbying for...in this case, so Worthy can bring awareness to his James Worthy Foundation...all product placement and I fear this show is just going to continually get worse.

I'm more of an American Pickers kind of guy...they seem like decent guys and they seem to make some generous efforts now and again...but I'm consistently amazed at the dearth of sports memorabilia they turn up...all the oil cans in the world but never any tobacco-related items...

I wish there was a GOOD sports memorabilia-type show on...this Grey Flannel guy is a waste...

brownscollector78
01-27-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm more of an American Pickers kind of guy...they seem like decent guys and they seem to make some generous efforts now and again...but I'm consistently amazed at the dearth of sports memorabilia they turn up...all the oil cans in the world but never any tobacco-related items...

I wish there was a GOOD sports memorabilia-type show on

I agree! I watch Pickers too on a regular basis and there rarely ever seems to be anything sports related (other than Nascar and motorcycles) on that show. You'd figure something good would pop up once awhile but the only things I remember in 2-3 years of watching that show are an old Cardinals painting which hangs at Busch Stadium and a Lions bobblehead and just last show they found an old football helmet. Just seems that pure odds would favor more.

Perhaps they just don't show those things

insidethewrapper
01-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Could someone list the : Name of the show, what network and day and time it is on. thanks

Bilko G
01-27-2012, 07:53 PM
What network is carrying the show???

John V
01-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Discovery 8pm Tuesdays. "All Star Dealers"

Bilko G
01-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Discovery 8pm Tuesdays. "All Star Dealers"

thank you. darn i missed it though!

I like American pickers also and Canadian pickers is really good too!

John V
02-15-2012, 05:10 AM
Does anyone know what's up with this show? I set my DVR for Tuesday's back to back episodes. When I went to watch them, they were episodes of Auction Kings. Also, my TWC guide no longer lists them.

roarfrom34
02-15-2012, 06:53 AM
I heard it was moved to a sister network called "Velocity" and the next epidsode will air 03/01/12.....The move to this other network (which I've frankly never heard of) probably is the first nail in the coffin for Richie & Grey Flannel

02-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Hey Velocity is a cool channel. Chasing Classic Cars is one of my favorite shows.

David Atkatz
02-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Wheeler Dealers!

travrosty
02-18-2012, 03:13 PM
i dont have cable tv, is there any way to see this show on the internet?

brownscollector78
02-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Discovery Channel website has video segments of the show.

I think pirate bay has a torrent or two you can download too.

Theres not a lot of stuff on the internet about it that I know of....

As far as switching networks, i did not know that but it wouldn't surprise me.

Frank A
02-19-2012, 06:43 AM
The guys on this show are as likable as a rattle snake in your sleeping blanket.

johnmh71
02-19-2012, 06:53 AM
The guys on this show are as likable as a rattle snake in your sleeping blanket.

My thought as well. You would think that having your own show would help promote your business. That is until you are filmed acting like a total ass on that show, which then causes it to have the opposite effect.

novakjr
02-19-2012, 06:51 PM
I probably won't miss All Star Dealers much... I'm honestly not much of a Comic fan, BUT "Comic Book Men" seems to have gotten the formula right for this type of show, and should be enough to get my collectable fix on tv.