PDA

View Full Version : Grandpa got this Yankee ball signed

RichardSimon
01-24-2012, 07:55 PM
I just was sent a digital picture of this supposedly 1960 Yankee baseball, the seller insists grandpa got it signed and that grandpa got pictures of himself with Mantle and Maris to prove it.
I told them maybe he got a ball signed but it was not this one.

GrayGhost
01-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Grandpa got run over by a Beer Truck, coming out of a bar on Christmas Day...

:):)

It's a stupid Facsimile. Even a dummy should see that:rolleyes: Or perhaps, he's a crook, but you don't send an obvious facs to an autograph expert..stupidity reigns supreme

RichardSimon
01-24-2012, 09:20 PM
Not the first time this has happened to me.
He is not a crook, just was not very bright and believed his grandpa.

Scott Garner
01-25-2012, 04:13 AM
Grandpa got run over by a Beer Truck, coming out of a bar on Christmas Day...

:):)

It's a stupid Facsimile. Even a dummy should see that:rolleyes: Or perhaps, he's a crook, but you don't send an obvious facs to an autograph expert..stupidity reigns supreme

murphusa
01-25-2012, 05:46 AM
But it is a story I have had told to me more than ten times where someone was lucky to make it into the clubhouse and were given a ball like this one. As the person receiving them was not an experienced autograph collector, they believed that it was an autographed ball that they received.

When you say just a "facsimile ball" you are wrong. They are an item of baseballs past which can be purchased at a reasonable price and resold with a nice profit. The highest I have ever paid for a facsimile ball was $160.00 which I then sold for $350.00. Both transactions were made knowing by all that the ball was a stadium ball. Facsimile balls from the 30's thru the 50's bring over $100 when in near mint condition

Right now I have over 60 such balls in my collection.

GrayGhost
01-25-2012, 07:05 AM
But it is a story I have had told to me more than ten times where someone was lucky to make it into the clubhouse and were given a ball like this one. As the person receiving them was not an experienced autograph collector, they believed that it was an autographed ball that they received.

When you say just a "facsimile ball" you are wrong. They are an item of baseballs past which can be purchased at a reasonable price and resold with a nice profit. The highest I have ever paid for a facsimile ball was $160.00 which I then sold for $350.00. Both transactions were made knowing by all that the ball was a stadium ball. Facsimile balls from the 30's thru the 50's bring over $100 when in near mint condition

Right now I have over 60 such balls in my collection.

you make a good point Jim on your first paragraph. In the moment, people can't tell that their ball was a stadium ball, due to excitement at times.

Yes, some Facs bills have value and are definitely collectible. I have owned/sold some myself over the years. What I meant was that in comparison to what the ball Richard was showing would be worth IF IT WAS A REAL SIGNED BALL, they are MUCH less valuable, at least in this case.

RichardSimon
01-25-2012, 07:35 AM
I have never been offered a facsimile ball as a facsimile ball. They ALWAYS believe it is a real signed baseball, worth a decent or large sum of money.
I never even make offers for them because they are usually still convinced that I am wrong and they are right and the ball is worth a lot.
How do you offer someone $50 or $100 when they think they have gold?? :confused:

murphusa
01-25-2012, 07:49 AM
because back in the day, people didn't sell them. That was granddads ball he got from the Yankees. Who would sell it. Heck it was more than likely that you weren't allowed to touch it

Now people don't care care about it they are only looking for the money.

novakjr
01-25-2012, 09:01 AM

Scott, if you wanna use a "Like", you should really buy one on the bay first.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Facebook-LIKE-/260939563911?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc135c387
Hell, at least it comes with FREE Economy shipping.

Scott Garner
01-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Scott, if you wanna use a "Like", you should really buy one on the bay first.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Facebook-LIKE-/260939563911?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc135c387
Hell, at least it comes with FREE Economy shipping.

I'm saving my Shillings for a rainy day. Oops, it's raining today... ;)

Runscott
01-26-2012, 11:24 PM
I had a friend who had a St. Louis Cardinals team-signed ball from around 1967. He showed it to me, telling me it was a ball with fake signatures. The signatures were all real. What a twist.

thekingofclout
01-27-2012, 12:32 AM
I'm saving my Shillings for a rainy day. Oops, it's raining today... ;)