PDA

View Full Version : Net54 on Facebook???

Big Six
01-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Is there any interest in creating a Net54 page on Facebook? Thought it might be a cool way for members to communicate on the fly...any interest or thoughts on making that happen?

sandmountainslim
01-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Do it! Im in ;)

I have this VERY small Smith fan page over there
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Phenomenal-Smith/309501652426279

kmac32
01-21-2012, 01:44 PM
Definitely

Abravefan11
01-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Sounds like a good idea. T206Resource.com has a Facebook fan page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/T206Resourcecom/168894003209332).

whitehse
01-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Sounds good to me!!! Other boards have done it and its a great way to stay up on whats happening here if I dont have time to hang on the boards very long.

ibuysportsephemera
01-21-2012, 02:29 PM
I am in.

Jeff

bh3443
01-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Count me in! I have a small page under my name.
Send me a friend request if you use FB.
Bill Hedin

Robextend
01-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Great idea, count me in!

AndyG09
01-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks to whoever might put us on FB. I would certainly be down.

Best,

Andy

7nohitter
01-21-2012, 02:53 PM
I would love it!

t206hound
01-21-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm definitely in, too.

Big Six
01-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Hoping for some input from Leon before doing anything on this...

01-21-2012, 03:15 PM
I may be the last human on earth who doesn't use Facebook.

ErikV
01-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Daryl,

That makes two of us. I closed my FB account a year ago and
haven't looked back. Call me paranoid, but my view is FB is big
brother in disguise.

rainier2004
01-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Daryl/Erik - good for you, I also do not use facebook, hell we dont even use cell phones. So I probably wouldnt fb...

CW
01-21-2012, 04:04 PM
I think it's a good idea, provided it doesn't create a scenario where users spend more time on the Facebook page compared to the actual forums here.

[and count me in as another person without a Facebook page]

Leon
01-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Facebook makes me throw up. I have a personal Facebook page though for some stupid reason. I go there about once a month, at most. My 15 yr old daughter is on it even in her sleep. It's pathetic. I will consider it though...

Ronnie73
01-21-2012, 05:16 PM
I've had a facebook page for a few years but don't have the time to bother with it. Wether there was a facebook page or not, wouldn't really matter to me. The only problem I see is maybe having to follow both facebook and net54 so nothing is missed and also possibly reading the same stuff in both places. If there was a vote, I'd vote no. Sorry :( Don't hate me:)

shammus
01-21-2012, 05:53 PM
It seems like the best we would be able to do with Facebook is to create a "poor-man's Net 54".

I guess I don't see much Facebook would give us that we don't already have over here. Just sort of like duplicating our efforts since we are a chat board/forum/community already after all....

novakjr
01-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Facebook is a good idea. Not that "we" that are already here as members need it. But it would be nice for those that use Net54 to be able to have that info on their page, and possibly attract more members. Maybe even attract people who once collected, and by making them aware of the site and then checking it out, we might be able to bring a few more people back into the hobby. Basically FREE advertising. Both for this site and the hobby in general.

Again, "we" don't need it, but it wouldn't hurt anything to make one, and it could be beneficial in the long run.

ethicsprof
01-21-2012, 07:17 PM
i'm with Leon. ' facebook makes me throw up.'
Fortunately, there are anti-emetics.

best,
barry

pitchernut
01-21-2012, 07:21 PM
I find it the least intrusive way to keep track of my kids who otherwise rarely stay in contact. It is a younger gen thing I think, don't use it much otherwise.

iwantitiwinit
01-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Not a facebook fan. Just curious how it would link. If I post a picture of say a card or a gallery of cards or a room I have with collectibles in it, will it be linked to facebook.. If so I am against it.

Runscott
01-21-2012, 07:58 PM
I may be the last human on earth who doesn't use Facebook.

I have one post on Facebook, in response to a friend asking me if my account got hacked:

No, I just opted out of the 'Zuckerberg Plan'. I've never been crazy about all the information Facebook's able to collect/distribute. When he announced that his intention was for all people to share everything they do on the internet, via Facebook, I decided to read more books.

Edited to add: but I will be your friend...whatever that means.

Runscott
01-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Facebook makes me throw up. I have a personal Facebook page though for some stupid reason. I go there about once a month, at most. My 15 yr old daughter is on it even in her sleep. It's pathetic. I will consider it though...

Leon, this is my favorite board post ever, especially the last sentence.

Leon
01-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Leon, this is my favorite board post ever, especially the last sentence.

Yeah, a statement like that and you know I have been moderating too long. :)

alanu
01-21-2012, 08:56 PM
I don't use facebook much, but I will admit, I'm somewhat addicted to Word with Friends, not quite as much as Alec Baldwin though

Shoeless Moe
01-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Does anyone know how to post videos to Facebook?

01-21-2012, 09:46 PM
I don't use facebook much, but I will admit, I'm somewhat addicted to Word with Friends, not quite as much as Alec Baldwin though

I played Words with Friends when it first came out on iPhone a couple of years ago. I recently tried to pick it up again and it asked me to log into my Facebook account to play. :mad:

drc
01-22-2012, 01:51 AM
In many ways this board is like facebook-- topics then comments on the topics.

I do use facebook, though don't see why there's a need for a Net54 page there. It's nice having Net54 in one place. Comments here + there might by a pain and a complication.

You can upload videos to facebook just like you do a photo. I tried in once or twice and it was hit and miss-- due to the size of the videos.

murcerfan
01-22-2012, 03:09 AM
maybe someone can twitter when the facebook thingy has updates on whenever something "happens" here in the chat room.

tonyo
01-22-2012, 04:10 AM
Does anyone know how to post videos to Facebook?

I don't use facebook, but I love the look on that guy's face when his video is posted in 1 second.

Bill Stone
01-22-2012, 04:45 AM
" Worlds collide " :eek:
You're killing independent George.

I like our world -vote no.

kkkkandp
01-22-2012, 06:10 AM
To this point in my life I have had no reason to want to be on Facebook. A Net 54 presence there would not change that.

Rich Klein
01-22-2012, 06:16 AM
Facebook, used properly is a lot of fun. However, too many wars break out on FB so I just stay to a few posts here and there, usually about the Diamond Collection trading and posting my updated list.

And I will post truly "important" updates such as passings of friends, births of nieces, eye surgeries,..... the people who post they are having a cup of latte at starbucks are a bit over the top though

Rich

t206blogcom
01-22-2012, 07:08 AM
I also have a T206 related page on Facebook:

T206Blog.com's Facebook Page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/T206-Blog/118979844843749)

novakjr
01-22-2012, 07:21 AM
In many ways this board is like facebook-- topics then comments on the topics.

I do use facebook, though don't see why there's a need for a Net54 page there. It's nice having Net54 in one place. Comments here + there might by a pain and a complication.

You can upload videos to facebook just like you do a photo. I tried in once or twice and it was hit and miss-- due to the size of the videos.

The point isn't to have "A Net54" on facebook. It's to have a page on facebook "about Net54"... It's advertising.

Bicem
01-22-2012, 07:27 AM
seems redundant to me.

Cy2009
01-22-2012, 07:29 AM
The thing about Facebook is that a lot of the older readers don't use it that much or don't know much about it. For them, I say let's put up MySpace!

Cy

pgellis
01-22-2012, 07:34 AM
I say no to Facebook. Never used it....never will.

I don't get why people give up their privacy so easily on Facebook, Twitter, etc.

01-22-2012, 07:55 AM
I say no to Facebook. Never used it....never will.

I don't get why people give up their privacy so easily on Facebook, Twitter, etc.

I don't get it either. I love technology and work in the IT field, but I've chosen to let Facebook and Twitter pass me by.

Facebook fans, please enjoy this video:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cqggW08BWO0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

brandoningram
01-22-2012, 08:00 AM
Well, I do use Facebook a bit, and I enjoy communicating with family and friends abroad. I post pictures of my Daughters so they ( family ) can see how well they are growing and just how cute they have become. Thats all that I would like to use Facebook for. I would not subscribe to Net54 on Facebook. I love coming on here to see whats new on the boards, research, and communicate with other collectors. I like having Net54 seperate from the ever-changing world of Facebook.
I understand about sponsorship and what not but Facebook is too corporate and just not the right place for this board. I like the possitive simplicity of Net54, and I hope it stays that way.
Just throwing my hat out there...
B

Big Ben
01-22-2012, 08:17 AM
Great idea! I'm in!!!

toppcat
01-22-2012, 08:36 AM
While I use it and it has it purposes, FB is dangerous for collectors as you are advertising to the outside world you are holding something of value at your house. Then you start posting while you are away on vacation and people with poor intent can put two and two together.

BengoughingForAwhile
01-22-2012, 08:42 AM
I deactivated my Facebook account over a year ago and have never been happier! :D

Runscott
01-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Facebook, used properly is a lot of fun. However, too many wars break out on FB so I just stay to a few posts here and there, usually about the Diamond Collection trading and posting my updated list.

And I will post truly "important" updates such as passings of friends, births of nieces, eye surgeries,..... the people who post they are having a cup of latte at starbucks are a bit over the top though

Rich

Rich, as I type, I am having a Latte at a coffee shop in Seattle, not interacting at all with the person sitting across from me. Actually, the latte is getting cold because I have too many important communications waiting from people I have never laid eyes on. Isn't that what the internet is all about?

drc
01-22-2012, 12:46 PM
For me, facebook is a good way to communicate and keep up to date with friends far away. I have old and new friends living in Australia to New York City to Madridand you chat with them and know what's news. A lot of far flung families communicate this way. One of the beauties of a forum like Net54 is people from all around the country post and communicate.

For those who don't use it, one's personal facebook account and what you post is not public-- unless you set it to be that way. What you post is visible only to those who you've added as friends . . . Also, a lot of people who sign up for facebook don't actively use it. So if you hear X amount of the world is on Facebook, that doesn't mean they are all using it. So you don't have to feel left out if you do want to.

Personally, if someone doesn't use or like facebook, that's fine by me and I wouldn't suggest or even think to myself that they are "missing something." Just as I don't think my neighbor's life is missing something because he doesn't belong to Net54. I've never used twitter and am not not sure how that works. I'm no computer techno fad xbox ipad killer app gps afficeonado geek at all, I just happen to use facebook.

If a non-facebook user derisively says, "If you want to talk to your friend in Madrid, why don't you just email him or call him on the phone," I would respond, "You can do it that way if you want. I never said you couldn't. If you prefer the email or telephone to facebook, great."

PS, an ad page for net54 on facebook I understand.

deebro041
01-22-2012, 01:54 PM
I am relatively new to this forum. I do have a facebook account which i seldom use. I wonder what facebook could provide that Net54 hasn't provided. We meet new people, communicate sharing information, provide help, make deals, and support one another. This forum has become a staple of my daily life and facebook hasn't. I prefer to support the little guy, the underdog and say shame on you big guy lol.
i dislike
Dan

HRBAKER
01-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Not a fan of FB, I vote no.
No need.
I am actually seeking less ways for people to locate me, know about me, poke me, friend me, or inquire as to my status.

novakjr
PS, an ad page for net54 on facebook I understand.

Exactly. I don't think there's a need for some fully interactive Net54 facebook page. But a simple "fan page" really requires minimal work and/or monitoring. People can have it on their "likes", and recommend it to others who they think might be interested, or just simply enough have it on their page for others to see and maybe check out..

ChiefBenderForever
my motto is Death before facebook. Hope the ipo flops and everybody loses millions, fk facebook

slidekellyslide
01-22-2012, 02:04 PM
I use facebook a lot, but I don't think Net54 needs a page. What would you talk about there that you can't talk about here?

novakjr
01-22-2012, 02:08 PM
I use facebook a lot, but I don't think Net54 needs a page. What would you talk about there that you can't talk about here?
It's not about talking there. It's about being able to have it listed in your hobbies and interests or whatever. Basically, nothing more that free advertising for the site. You can set it as a "fan page" or whatever, set a link to Net54, disable comments and walk away.

Leon
01-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Exactly. I don't think there's a need for some fully interactive Net54 facebook page. But a simple "fan page" really requires minimal work and/or monitoring. People can have it on their "likes", and recommend it to others who they think might be interested, or just simply enough have it on their page for others to see and maybe check out..

Well, I could possibly see a static site just to let folks know of Net54baseball. There would only be posts from moderators, potentially. It would sort of be a bulletin board. I gotta say, overall I am just not a fan of Facebook, but it could potentially be another way to attract new folks to the hobby and our niche. That might not be bad. From what I have read and thought since this thread went up, I don't think the decision is even close, in having a regular Facebook page for this board. I CAN see it for other places/organizations/websites etc... and if folks want to use it, more power to them. On a personal note, I admit there are a few old friends I have seen again because of it. So I will give it props for that. However for our board, I can't imagine there being anything else I haven't heard or read that would change my mind. That being said, I am easy....just sell me on it :). Thanks for the thoughts so far folks.

Ronnie73
01-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Leon, I think a static page would be fine. Anything more than that, i'd say no. This way, everyone thats already here doesn't need to worry about the Net54 facebook page after we add it as a fan to our own facebook accounts if we have one. For everyone that doesn't use facebook, then you would just do nothing different. Then we just sit back and see how many new members we get over here.

carrigansghost
01-22-2012, 03:23 PM
I use facebook to communicate with friends from the Navy and family, don't see the need for a net54 site. I do use a vintage card as my picture there and have directed some here when asked about the photo.

Rawn

novakjr
01-22-2012, 03:30 PM
I use facebook to communicate with friends from the Navy and family, don't see the need for a net54 site. I do use a vintage card as my picture there and have directed some here when asked about the photo.

Rawn

You actually just described a reason to have one, but somehow spun it to seem like a reason to not have one... Imagine, the people who were curious, but didn't ask. They may never know. You can tag the Net54 page in the photo's of your cards. Then people won't have to ask, they can just check out the page themselves and find a link to this site...Easy as that. There's no legitimate reason for anyone to be against having a simple "fan page" with a link to this site... Anyone that is against it, is just being against it solely for the sake of being against it.. There are ZERO legitimate arguments against a "fan page" or "static page" as Leon's been calling it...

carrigansghost
01-22-2012, 04:03 PM
I've been asked if my pic is Ty Cobb to Babe, but at least they recognized it as a baseball player. I switch the pic out to some modern(50's) stuff from time to time to try to span the gamit of collectors that we have here. It took me three years of searching to find net54 and like to think that I do pretty good research. Anything that would help get the site some pub, I would be in favor of.

Rawn

tbob
01-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Daryl,

brother in disguise.

+1

vintagerookies51
01-22-2012, 06:52 PM
I think it would be a great idea. I found the Freedomcardboard forum off of facebook and discovered net54 from that forum. I think it would attract a lot of new members, but I'd also like all of the posting to stay on here

nebboy
01-22-2012, 07:35 PM
I don't need a Facebook page when I can just come here and be very :)!!!!!

teetwoohsix
01-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Daryl,

brother in disguise.

+1

triwak
01-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Agree with David (and others) who think a "Fan page" is a good idea. I LOVE Facebook! And I'm 50 years young, ya old fogies! ;) This summer, I counted down my 40-man dream roster on Facebook, showing one of my cards per day to all my friends. Most of them loved it, with many never imagining that baseball cards were issued that far in the past. And it sparked quite a bit of curiosity. If I could have easily linked a fan page about this sight, I believe it would have generated even more interest.

Big Six
01-23-2012, 11:29 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback on the Facebook idea put out there a few days ago. It was not surprising to see the extremes in the responses everyone shared...I completely understand where everyone is coming from regardless of whether they be pro or con.

First, I want everyone to know that my intent was not to propose a dilution of what we all enjoy today. This is an amazing place that I spend an inordinate amount of time on! Instead, I see FB as more of a compliment to, not replacement of, Net54. As many have posted, simply having a standalone FB page could/should increase visibility of what we're doing here and bring new members who can join our tight-knit community.

My original thought with regards to FB was a little more than a standalone page, though. It dawned on me that I was going to the White Plains show on Sunday and it would be cool if other members knew I was there (I still haven't officially met anyone in person from the board yet!). Even if no one else was there, if anyone needed anything or just wanted to get a sense of what the show was like (attendance, guest signers, etc), a simple post and maybe a few pictures would be nice to share with the group while there.

I completely agree with those posting about security concerns. There are many on this board who don't participate, or who closely guard their identities over concerns about protecting their collections. I get it and respect those folks without question. Then there are some, like me, who like to think of themselves as more "social" and, judging from the pro comments in this thread, would see participating in a FB as no big deal. It's these folks I was targeting with the original thread.

Getting back to the security angle, I would think no one who isn't a Net54 member in good standing could be part of any FB group. I also wouldn't want anyone outside of the group to be able to see anything more than that we exist and point them to Net54 if they are interested in vintage cards/memorabilia. Obviously, no one would be forced to participate...it would just be for that part of the membership that "likes" this kind of thing...:p

Lastly, this is ultimately up to Leon as this is his board and he runs a damn fine ship. My intent was not to propose anything that would diminish Net54 in any way, shape or form. Like everyone else, it would be great to identify and attract more folks who do what we do, love what we love and share in our obvious passion for cards and memorabilia. Whether that is with a standalone FB page, a more robust FB presence or nothing on FB at all, I just wanted to throw the concept out there. Take it for what its worth...Matt

irishdenny
01-23-2012, 11:39 AM
It's not about talking there. It's about being able to have it listed in your hobbies and interests or whatever. Basically, nothing more that free advertising for the site. You can set it as a "fan page" or whatever, set a link to Net54, disable comments and walk away.

Can't ya do this Anyway? Putting it in your favorite's or in your Interest area is something that would be normal on FB... as far as I'm concerned... Just a thought :D

Runscott
01-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Matt, given your handle, you reminded me of a Mathewson-collecting friend who I had lost contact with. I just found him using Facebook, which reminds me of one very useful purpose this tool serves. In addition, my HS graduating class used it to find me and invite me to a recent reunion, so I can't knock it completely.

Thanks and good luck with this - I'm basically against the 'big brother' thing, but it's coming (here?) whether we like it or not. Many of the 'pros' listed by members seem to make it worthwhile to some, and others don't have to use it.

Big Six
01-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Matt, given your handle, you reminded me of a Mathewson-collecting friend who I had lost contact with. I just found him using Facebook, which reminds me of one very useful purpose this tool serves. In addition, my HS graduating class used it to find me and invite me to a recent reunion, so I can't knock it completely.

Thanks and good luck with this - I'm basically against the 'big brother' thing, but it's coming (here?) whether we like it or not. Many of the 'pros' listed by members seem to make it worthwhile to some, and others don't have to use it.

Too funny...I enjoy Facebook but, ironically, want nothing to do with my high school reunion...

tbob
01-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Facebook does have one other redeeming feature- it lets attorneys have a lot of information on you should you be a party, potential witness or juror in a case. Being able to read posts, seeing who your friends are, your views on different subjects, etc. are much more enlightening than reading the mundane jury questionaires or answers to interrogatories by parties. For those FBers who delight in posting risque or socially awkward pictures on their pages, it is an inavluable tool in custody cases. As an attorney I know the ability to access these pages has been a God-send in acquiring information, whether it be in criminal, domestic relations or personal injury cases. It is truly amazing how much useful information is out there. :eek:
That said, no I do not have a Facebook page, but it is easy to find someone who does and use it for information acquisition.

ScottFandango
01-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Sounds good to me!!! Other boards have done it and its a great way to stay up on whats happening here if I dont have time to hang on the boards very long.

versus hanging out on facebook?

whats the difference?

carrigansghost
01-27-2012, 04:54 PM
NO.

Rawn

FrankWakefield
01-27-2012, 05:46 PM
I think that it would be unfortunate, in many ways, to link this place to a Facebook page for "us". Not a good idea at all.