PDA

View Full Version : I am loving this hobby!

sandmountainslim
01-21-2012, 07:06 AM
Relative newbie here, only collecting a year and a half but I am loving collecting vintage cards even though I don't have multi-thousands to spend on them :) I have been a Superman Comics collector since 1978 but in this short span my love for old cardboard has almost equaled my passion for old pulp paper.

No big collection here and nothing high dollar but so far I have picked up

22 T206 commons (my fav set so I am trying to get as many as I can reasonably)

3 T202 End Panels

7 1933 Goudey's

2 1940 Play Ball (ugly card to me but they were cheap)

20 T205 reprints (HOF cards I can't afford)

2 sets of Old Judge Reprints (Would LOVE to collect this set but as a workin man and single parent they are outta my range so Im sticking to t206)

Sporting News Shoeless Joe reprint (another I can't afford in original)

I know reprints don't have the love or honor of original cards but with some like Old Judge its the only way I can enjoy the set.

GREAT hobby and I can't tell you folks how useful this forum has been in helping me learn about cards. Thanks everyone!

mrvster
01-21-2012, 07:24 AM
Welcome aboard:)

T206 are my favorite

Enjoy....

Peace

Johnny

FrankWakefield
01-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Sand, sounds like you're collecting because of reasons other than merely what a card is worth or some number a slabbing company has assigned... refreshing!!! That's the way to enjoy the hobby!!!

sandmountainslim
01-21-2012, 07:38 AM
Sand, sounds like you're collecting because of reasons other than merely what a card is worth or some number a slabbing company has assigned... refreshing!!! That's the way to enjoy the hobby!!!

Yeah never thought of it that way but I dislike slabbed and graded cards, I stay away from them even when priced right. I buy them to look at and for the players I like hence my quest for a Rusie or Phenom Smith reprint :)

barrysloate
01-21-2012, 07:46 AM
The only thing that matters is that you love what you are doing. The value of the collection is not important.

sandmountainslim
01-21-2012, 08:22 AM
I bought the Old Judge reprints from a seller named Fritsch Cards They are not blank backed like the originals and have little bio's on the back. Cannot be mistaken for real but I actually like them alot. Anyone else have his sets?

Leon
01-21-2012, 08:26 AM
The only thing that matters is that you love what you are doing. The value of the collection is not important.

SANDMOUNTAIN- sounds like you have the right attitude. It's all about having fun. Also, remember that even folks who DO like slabbed and expensive cards can have fun too. There are a few folks on this board who don't realize people can have fun in different ways. Always collect to your liking and you will be a happy campy. I love the hobby too and am excited to go to a small show in a few hours. Then, through a meeting I had 2 days ago and with a board member, I got onto a roster of a softball team locally and am practicing tomorrow. I am feeling like a kid again. The relationships and friends made in this hobby are priceless. Most folks are great people. Then there are a few loony tunes too but doesn't that happen anywhere there are thousands of people? Good luck in the quest. I will drop your OJ reprint in the mail today. Scott F. did a really nice job on them, though he only has 9 fingers left after doing it :).

sandmountainslim
01-21-2012, 08:32 AM
SANDMOUNTAIN- sounds like you have the right attitude. It's all about having fun. Also, remember that even folks who DO like slabbed and expensive cards can have fun too. .

Oh yeah, I wasn't meaning to knock slabbed/graded cards in any way, I myself just don't want them because they don't fit in with my collection. With T206 I like to put them in a penny bag and toploader then tie them with rubber bands and place them in my safe, The reprints I am putting in a big card ring organizer.

The cards have gotten me back into baseball (fantasy baseball though it be) and for the last three seasons some friends and I have organized a fantasy league and had a BLAST. I am trying to get revenge for the DISMAL season my last Dixie Youth team had in 1983, The 1983 Powell Athletics won nary a game so my fantasy league Phenomenal A's are trying to avenge their record ;) Its all alot of fun. We have 2 people from the 1983 Dixie Youth division in our fantasy squad so we have a good time talking about games when we were kids and competing in head to head games in fantasyland.

kcohen
01-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Leon,

Have you run a check to make sure that Sandmountainslim is not in fact JoeyF under a new name? ;)

Be careful of those hamstrings on the softball field. Stretch real good. I speak from sad experience.

Edited to add: Welcome to the forum, Slim.

E93
01-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Welcome aboard! Have fun!
JimB

sandmountainslim
01-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Here are my T206 cards (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1755893217332.2103257.1239022746&type=3) if anyone cares to see them

freakhappy
01-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Slim, thanks for sharing your interests and passion for the hobby. Like a few have said here before, it's about what interests you and not what is the most expensive and so on. I believe the reprints are an excellent way of obtaining cards that you can't obtain in original form...enjoy!

Love the Tobacco cards...half a Camnitz, and even a random Cycle...awesome!

Mike

joeadcock
01-21-2012, 12:11 PM
SANDMOUTAINSLIM

Welcome. Nice to here your interests. Also like the fact that you have fun even with reprints.

Look into Laughlin Cards from the 1970's if you are interested in cool cards about old players. Most are cartoon form but they are great. Used to buy them from local tobacco/magazine shop when I was a kid. Loved the smell of tobacco then. I can smell it when I think of that shop(unfortunately, long gone). Can still get them fairly cheap.

Have a great time in the Vintage World.

sandmountainslim
01-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Slim, thanks for sharing your interests and passion for the hobby. Like a few have said here before, it's about what interests you and not what is the most expensive and so on. I believe the reprints are an excellent way of obtaining cards that you can't obtain in original form...enjoy!

Love the Tobacco cards...half a Camnitz, and even a random Cycle...awesome!

Mike

My five year old daughter is wild about my Jack Knight card.....he is "good to look at" according to her :) By default it has became my favorite card .