PDA

View Full Version : Are reprints next?

sbfinley
01-19-2012, 11:43 PM
I read something interesting on a coin forum today. It seems that ebay is taking the bold step of banning the selling of "Replica" coins in their marketplace. From what I've read the move has been met with mixed emotions. Based upon this action, could one not assume the sports card reprints could someday soon meet the same fate?

Your thoughts.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=843705&STARTPAGE=1

zljones
01-19-2012, 11:59 PM
I hope so, I'm so tired of those reprints flooding the "original card" searches :D

T206DK
01-20-2012, 05:17 AM
there's going to be a lot of unhappy flea marketers in ohio and Kentucky if they do that ....LOL. :)

steve B
01-20-2012, 06:41 AM
If they do go that way there will just be a lot more "I'm not sure it's real" auctions.

Steve B

vintagetoppsguy
01-20-2012, 08:35 AM
I think it it's a great idea with the exception of licensed reprints (for example, the 1983 '52 Topps reprint set).

dabigyankeeman
01-20-2012, 09:54 AM
I hope so, I'm so tired of those reprints flooding the "original card" searches :D

Me too!!

brob28
01-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Anything that can choke-off the market on reprints is welcome news to me.

Fred
01-20-2012, 10:34 AM
My 2 cents - I really don't like reprints. However, if the cards are marked as REPRINTS I wouldn't mind them being sold but only if RESTRICTED to a category called REPRINTS/REPRODUCTIONS.

Fleabay should take a more active approach to clean up their on-line auction business and reduce the number of scammers out there. If the seller isn't willing to call the card original and make a full refund (including shipping costs) then they shouldn't be selling their cards through the ebay portal.

I'm surprised a class action suit hasn't been presented against ebay because of they have allowed (for a very long time now) scammers to take advantage of the buying public via their internet portal. Fleabay can clean things up if they choose to do so. I'm not advocating that they hire a full time monitor that does nothing but get rid of reprints (although that'd be nice), all I think they should do is tighten the rules on the sellers to rid the site of those a-holes that are looking to scam people. That crap about, I don't know if it's real or not needs to "go away".

Edited to add the following:

I wonder how much a law firm could make off a $20 million+ class action law suit against ebay? We, the people, would get screwed in a settlement but I have to figure the lawfirm could make bank.

rainier2004
01-20-2012, 10:37 AM
Fred - Well said.