PDA

View Full Version : T206 Restoration

HOF Auto Rookies
01-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Hey guys and gals, I don't believe this has been talked about too often, but was just curious, what do you all think about restoring T206 cards? Or pre-war cards in itself?

I'm asking because, restoration is viewed as something integral in art pieces and sculptures/statues to restore them to their original beauty. I know in the sports card world, thanks to the grading companies, any restoration towards a card leads to an "authentic" or "altered" grade.

I own two T206's, one is signed that I wouldn't dare touch, and the other is a beater beyond repair, so I have no intention in doing so.

but just to touch up a card and remove MK (ink stains), tain residue etc, just was wondering what you all feel towards this being a good chunk of you have very large extensive collections of The Monster varying in condition. I know it probably has run across someone's mind, but just wondering how it's viewed generally.

Thanks!

Ronnie73
01-19-2012, 03:45 PM
I perfer an evenly well worn out card over a restored card that looks like a higher grade. I would maybe restore a card only if it had ink or damage that was not caused by natural wear. I'd perfer a Honus Wagner PSA 1 over a near mint looking restored card. Theres only a few T206's worth restoring since it costs thousands of dollars for a professional job. I don't like trimmed cards at all.

HOF Auto Rookies
01-19-2012, 03:52 PM
I hear where you're coming from in removing the ink etc. But that's the beauty of the original card in itself, is it has a story to be told with that wear, and no one could hear it beign restored.

Ronnie73
01-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Maybe I wasn't clear enough on the ink removal. Legit autographs I would never remove but some random marks that anyone could of made, I would possibly remove if it was worth it. I don't think its as accepted in the card hobby to restore as it is in other hobbies and collectibles. I guess it comes down to personal preference.

ScottFandango
01-20-2012, 09:22 AM
the problem with card restorations is that we dont know where to draw the line...what would be acceptable? what isnt?

instead the TPG have taken the stance that any DETECTABLE alterations will drop the overall grade of the card...

statues are not graded on condition, paintings are not graded either, their inherent value is based on the Artist, the popularity, and the rarity level....therefore restorations in these categories are considered fine, but in baseball cards its a No-No

HOF Auto Rookies
01-20-2012, 09:51 AM
That's a very intereting take on it. I wonder if it would ever be more acceptable in the hobby. IMO, I don't like it. I guess in me comparing cards to art is apples to oranges.

I wouldn't even know where to begin on any of the restoration techniques lol. Plus spending hundreds, or even thousands to restore a card may not be worth it, compared to art which could fetch tens of millions

mrvster
01-21-2012, 09:27 AM
I would take a beater any day over a pristine"restored" example.....just my personal preference.....not into a "refurbie"......gimme a card half torched anyday.....:)

steve B
01-22-2012, 06:54 AM
The other thing to consider is that some of the art that gets restored is unique. If you want that exact Rembrandt you've got to take it as it is restored or not.
Most restorations are more in the line of conservations. Stretchers made of wood that will cause further problems after a few hundred years, Coatings added as earlier preservation eforts removed, centureies of accumulated grime from the air removed, all of these don't affect the originality all that much, the bring the painting back closer to its original state.

Many of the prints that get restored are conserved as well, typically fragile advertising posters from the early 1900's. They're typically backed with linen to support the fragile paper. The cycling one I have is tissue paper thin, and If I didn't frame it I'd have considered getting the backing applied. It's done in a reversible fashion, with a special adhesive(I think a rice paste that's mostly inert) With the posters painting in some missing bits is accepted.

But T206s except for maybe a handful are readily had in a variety of grades.
I wouldn't think that restoring one would be accepted, as the restoration is seldom done for preservation, and is usually not easily reversible.

What I would like to see is acceptance of deacidification of some strip cards, and possibly some later cards as well. Some of mine are already brittle.

Steve B

That's a very intereting take on it. I wonder if it would ever be more acceptable in the hobby. IMO, I don't like it. I guess in me comparing cards to art is apples to oranges.

I wouldn't even know where to begin on any of the restoration techniques lol. Plus spending hundreds, or even thousands to restore a card may not be worth it, compared to art which could fetch tens of millions

atx840
01-22-2012, 12:08 PM
But T206s except for maybe a handful are readily had in a variety of grades.
I wouldn't think that restoring one would be accepted, as the restoration is seldom done for preservation, and is usually not easily reversible.

Steve B

Totally agree but have you seen Wonka's Plank? Rarely does a card make me salivate.