PDA

View Full Version : 1957 Indians Team Issue Unchecklisted

whiteymet
01-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Hi All:

Please read the below I sent to Bob Lemke regarding a posting on his blog back in October. If any of you can shed some light on this issue, PLEASE comment or email me privately.

Thanks,

Fred

Hi Bob:

Hope all is well with you and yours!

I am writing about a set you wrote about (see the below) back in October about an Indians Picture Pack set from the 50's and 60's.

I THINK I have the same thing but mine measure EXACTLY 6"X9" not the 6 1/2" you mention. Mine also have the thin borders you describe, although I guess mine could be trimmed, but they sure do not show it.

Do you recall who gave you the checklist? The reason I ask is I have two not listed from what I believe is the 1957 set. A Joe Altobelli who only played for the Indians in 1957 and a Cal McLish who unlike the others I have does not have a facsimile autograph but rather a printed name.

I have all on your list save for the Maris and Busby. Maris was a rookie in 57 and Busby was traded part way through the 57 season, so there could have been changes/updates to the set. See photo attached.

Thanks,

Fred

Saturday, October 15, 2011
Standard Catalog Update: 1957-62 Indians Picture Packs
Through the efforts of several dedicated Cleveland Indians collectors, we were able to assemble checklist information on a number of the 1950s-1960s Picture Packs issued by the team.

It was intended that these appear in the 2012 Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards, but production problems precluded that.

To assist in this presentation, I've eliminated the pricing data. In general complete sets in this era have retail values of $100-150 in Near Mint condition, with single pictures about $5 for typical players and $12-20 for Hall of Famers and local favorites like Rocky Colavito and Herb Score, wit the 1957 and 1958 Roger Maris at $25.

1957 Cleveland Indians Picture Pack

This set of “Official Autographed Pictures” issued in 1957 was sold at Municipal Stadium and other souvenir outlets for 50 cents. The player photos are in a 6-1/2” x 9” black-and-white, blank-back format with narrow white borders, printed on thin semi-gloss stock. About half the photos are identical to those issued in 1956. A facsimile player autograph on front identifies the photo.

Complete Set: (24)
(1) Bob Avila
(2) Jim Busby
(3) Alphonso “Chico” Carrasquel
(4) Rocky Colavito
(5) Bud Daley

(6) Kirby Farrell

(7) Mike Garcia

(8) Jim Hegan
(9) Ken Kuhn
(10) Bob Lemon
(11) Roger Maris