PDA

View Full Version : Willie Mays Autograph? opinions needed!

greenmonster66
01-16-2012, 01:16 PM
I received this in the mail back in the late 1980s. Can't tell if this is auto pen or real signature?

Your thoughts???

GrayGhost
01-16-2012, 01:42 PM
hard to tell if autopen w/out holding it in person. Im not sure I like the form of the autograph anyways. Im guessing its secretarial if its a "genuine signed" item.

thecatspajamas
01-16-2012, 02:49 PM
This may be a naive question, but did they ever do "autopen" signatures with markers?

Mr. Zipper
01-16-2012, 05:00 PM
This may be a naive question, but did they ever do "autopen" signatures with markers?

NASA sure did. In fact, that is what they primarily used.

scmavl
01-16-2012, 05:11 PM
From the Mays autos I've owned, his W and M always seem a bit sharper. But the ink also looks weird on yours, not sure it's it's from the scan or not.

Lordstan
01-16-2012, 06:19 PM
I think it's a good sig with a crappy pen.

thecatspajamas
01-16-2012, 08:10 PM
NASA sure did. In fact, that is what they primarily used.

Good to know. Thanks!

thetruthisoutthere
01-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Here's a Willie Mays TTM signed by his wife. Some people call the person who certed the below Mays as authentic, as the best authenticator in the business and yet he doesn't even know the below sig was signed by Willie's wife.

travrosty
01-17-2012, 10:23 AM
We interrupt this program to bring you the following news flash.

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/

$41,000 item being certed by abc, xyz with (according to the author) some of the signatures looking shakier than their counterparts being peddled at coaches corner. Evidently a lot more to come that will blow your minds.

Now back to our 10 dollar Mays signature.

travrosty
01-17-2012, 10:36 AM
I believe he is one of the best, all around the best I know, I guess I am some person now. I always wanted to be some person too.

This great authenticator who is being called into question has been asked by some of these companies to join them numerous times. As you can relate to, I have been asked by one too. We declined because although we must have met their standards for inclusion into their group, they didn't meet ours.

mr2686
01-17-2012, 10:42 AM
I'm not liking this one. Here's two in person examples from the late 80's...one on a ball and one on a flat surface of a book.

thecatspajamas
01-17-2012, 11:44 AM
I believe he is one of the best, all around the best I know, I guess I am some person now. I always wanted to be some person too.

This great authenticator who is being called into question has been asked by some of these companies to join them numerous times. As you can relate to, I have been asked by one too. We declined because although we must have met their standards for inclusion into their group, they didn't meet ours.

I'm confused by your response. Are you saying that the authenticator of the above was right? Or that the mistake should be overlooked because he was asked to join abc company? I don't even see in the above post where it says who the authenticator was, but maybe that was in the auction description and didn't show in the screen-shot.

RichardSimon
01-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Travis,
Not to pound on this, but anyone experienced in baseball authentication, or buying and selling baseball, knows that wife signed Mays. If the a in Mays looks like an a,,, well it is the wife. If it looks like an o it has a shot at being real.

thetruthisoutthere
01-17-2012, 12:24 PM

Travis, just out of curiosity, which authentication company asked you to work them? I've always respected your knowledge of boxing autographs.

RichardSimon
01-17-2012, 12:26 PM
My favorite ballplayer of all time and maybe the greatest ever.
Too bad his autograph turned so ugly and his personality too :(:(