PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a Babe Ruth Lou Gehrig Signature

noserider
01-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Hello

My brother is sending me a signed photo with Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth from the barnstorming tour. I should have it early next week. He said the "R" in the Babe Ruth signature was more pointed than the facsimile signature above it. The photo is a popular souvenir print that i'm sure you experts have seen many times. I have been searching the web for the last couple days examining Ruth signatures. The "R looks rounded at the top on all I have seen except one. The one I found online with a pointed R at the top as my brother describes his has sold for big bucks (38K). I have attached a link. Please have a look and tell me if you have seen others that look like this one. I will post a pic of mine when it arrives. Thanks in advance.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=708&lotNo=19457

ScottR81
01-15-2012, 08:53 PM
It's definitely a more stretched then others but IMO it looks good.

noserider
01-15-2012, 09:24 PM
It's definitely a more stretched then others but IMO it looks good.

Thanks for the quick reply Scott. I'm in Houston and there is a Tristar show here next week. I'm hoping after I post a pic of my brothers photo when it arrives you guys can give me some feeback before the show. If you guys think it looks good, I'll take it to the show and have JSA authenticate it. I'm getting excited! Here is a link to a similar print as my brothers. Anyone venture a guess of the value if it's good? I'm hoping in the $10-15K range. My brother said the print is in a glass frame and the print and signatures are in very good condition. The print is approx 10"x13".

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2007/645.html#photos

noserider
01-15-2012, 10:31 PM
I have it from a good source hot of the press the Ruth signature I posted a link to with the funny "R" is called a birds beak varient. Very cool info. I'm hoping that is what i find with my brothers. Keep you posted. Pun intended :).

MGHPro
01-15-2012, 11:54 PM
IMO, the size of the print would have me concerned. Most were in the 8x10 range, so to have an oversized original is hard to imagine. If you do, and the signatures are real, you will be happy with what its worth.
Matt

MGHPro
01-16-2012, 12:06 AM
Heres one where the signature below is a little more pointy than the one above it. Not the bird beak you mention, but a little different
Matt

noserider
01-16-2012, 09:03 AM
IMO, the size of the print would have me concerned. Most were in the 8x10 range, so to have an oversized original is hard to imagine. If you do, and the signatures are real, you will be happy with what its worth.
Matt

I agree 100% Matt. I said the same thing to my brother when he told me the size. I told him if it was indeed an actual original souvenir in that size with authentic signatures it would raise the value more but as you said i could not find any evidence online where they made those souvenirs larger than 8x10. Actual pictures yes but not print copies. My biggest concern however is the authenticity of the signatures themself. Thanks for your reply.

noserider
01-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Guys

Curious what you think my brothers photo would be worth if it's real. It seems to good to be true but I would like to daydream for a couple more days before it arrives and the other possible harsh reality is realized.

noserider
01-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Guys

Curious what you think my brothers photo would be worth if it's real. It seems to good to be true but I would like to daydream for a couple more days before it arrives and the other possible harsh reality is realized.

Anyone??? My picture arrives by mail Thursday and I'll post it up for you then. I justed wanted to dream a little of big bucks before I find out it's not real. ;)