PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I'm too observant?

Phillies*phan
01-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Very bored this morning so I decided to page through my lower grade t206 set. Found this Pelty with a different backround. It has a circle of color missing right under his arm. I looked at my better set Pelty and it looks normal. Also checked all the ones on Ebay and they look normal.
The weird thing is it doesn't make sense why this color is not there. In the normal one the color is solid orange. How would a circle of solid color go missing.
Anyone else have a color missing Pelty or an explanation.

steve B
01-15-2012, 09:58 AM
That's a "fisheye" - The guys I worked with had another less PC name for it.

It happens when a bit of debris gets on the rubber mat that transfers the image from the plate to the paper. As the roller goes over the plate the debris makes a dent in the rubber mat. The undented mat gets inked as well as the debris itself, but not the dent. That then gets printed, leaving a doughnut shaped unprinted area.

This one is quite large, and the debris was pretty thick to cause such a wide ring. I wouldn't think there would be a premium as the misprint is fairly common, but this one is so big I'd choose it over the correct one if I was deciding between them.

Also interesting is that one has red lips while the other doesn't. Also a fairly common variety but still interesting.
Steve B