PDA

View Full Version : Looking for outside opinions on Giamatti baseballs in Coleman boxes

BrandonG
01-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to get some outside opinions to add to mine in regards to finding Giamatti baseballs in Leonard Coleman boxes. I'm sure there are a few different conclusions everyone has come to, just want to see if anyone has some strong opinions on the reason.

Three things to note before you respond:

1. - The Giamatti baseballs that were issued during MLB league play in 1987-1988 were all made in Haiti and displayed a Haiti stamp underneath the Rawlings logo, I have never seen a game used Giamatti without the Haiti logo.

2. - The Giamatti baseballs in the Coleman boxes do not bear the Haiti stamp, which is consistent with the manufacturing of the Coleman baseballs from 1994-1999.

3. - William White was President in between Giamatti and Coleman, there are White baseballs with the Haiti stamp on them, then Costa Rica, then blank like the Coleman baseballs. (in that order).

Thanks for the opinions, hope to hear some good ones!

murphusa
01-14-2012, 09:58 PM
I know for a fact that they remade the G balls in the early 2000's without the stamping

BrandonG
01-15-2012, 12:46 PM
I know for a fact that they remade the G balls in the early 2000's without the stamping

Are you referring to the Rawlings Pastime Collection that came out? They did remake a lot of the National League baseballs in the 2000's as a commemorative collection but those baseballs are easily discernible from the regular production baseballs. The logo's on the Pastime Collection are much smaller.

The Giamatti in this case is identical except for the Haiti stamp.

thecatspajamas
01-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Brandon,
Not to sidetrack your thread here, but do you have information as to which balls were produced as part of the "Pastime Collection" and how they differ from the originals? I have found scant information regarding these outside of the couple of examples I've inadvertently picked up. If this is something covered in your upcoming book (insert plug here), I'll be patient, but I'd like to see together something like a side-by-side comparison for these. Many collectors aren't even aware they exist, some just call them "fakes," and some (either wittingly or unwittingly) pass them off as originals. I think it would be good to know the tell-tale signs to look for on these.

novakjr
01-15-2012, 01:05 PM
With the "Pastime Collection" balls, I'm pretty sure most text is the same size. The major differences should be that the text size on the lower "Cushioned Cork Center" panel was smaller, and the lack of a country of origin stamp. Pretty sure those or the only two differences.

BrandonG
01-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Okay, in regards to the Pastime Collection. All of the stamping with exception to the Rawlings logo is smaller. Below is a side by side example of all 3 baseballs, with an authentic 1987-1988 on the left, the ball in question in the center, and a Pastime Collection ball on the right.

murphusa
01-15-2012, 04:54 PM
I have all three type balls in my collection. One ball without a country mark is autographed by Jim Bunning that I got at a show in the mid 90's

autograf
01-16-2012, 04:40 AM
I was buying Giamatti balls in Coleman boxes in 1995-1996 when I was doing shows in the Cincinnati area. They were about 85-100 bucks a dozen and a great sell as they would consistently sell for $25 with the Giamatti name. Got quite a few signed by Rose during that period. They did not have the Haiti stamp and, frankly, had substandard ink on them compared to other balls of the era. They would smudge much quicker in the printing than other balls.

BrandonG
01-16-2012, 02:06 PM
I was buying Giamatti balls in Coleman boxes in 1995-1996 when I was doing shows in the Cincinnati area. They were about 85-100 bucks a dozen and a great sell as they would consistently sell for $25 with the Giamatti name. Got quite a few signed by Rose during that period. They did not have the Haiti stamp and, frankly, had substandard ink on them compared to other balls of the era. They would smudge much quicker in the printing than other balls.

Interesting...You guys never wondered why or were told why they were remaking the Giamatti baseballs back then?

murphusa
01-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Interesting...You guys never wondered why or were told why they were remaking the Giamatti baseballs back then?

As the above poster said, you could buy them at a price that was below the current baseballs. I used all of mine for autographs I got through the mail or at shows