PDA

View Full Version : My new autograph collecting focus

scmavl
01-07-2012, 08:08 AM
So after a lot of purchasing this-n-that-n-the other thing, I've decided to truly pursue one focused lot of autographs. And I don't think I could've picked a more difficult lot to go for! :o

I've decided to try and obtain the signature of every person who spoke at the 1939 Inaugural Hall of Fame Induction. I'm sure most of you have heard the audio recording of it. It's simply wonderful, with short speeches made by many of the people who made our game great. It's something I listen to probably once a week in my car, in my opinion it's the best 30 minutes of baseball audio ever.

Now, for the autos... Again, I couldn't have picked a more popular lot to collect but this will be a long term collecting goal, not one to be completed this year. Plus, it will encompass most of baseballs greats only leaving Lou Gehrig, Christy Mathewson, and Willy Keeler as those missing from that era. Here are the signatures I would need. If any of this is in error, please feel free to correct me.

Charles Doyle (sportswriter, master of ceremonies)
Rowan Spraker (Mayor of Cooperstown, this one will be hard)
John A Heydler
Kennesaw M Landis
Ford Frick
William Harridge
William Bramham (also likely difficult)
Connie Mack
Ty Cobb*
Honus Wagner
Tris Speaker
Napoleon Lajoie
Cy Young
Walter Johnson
George Sisler
Eddie Collins
Grover Cleveland Alexander
Babe Ruth
Mel Allen*
Tom Manning (NBC commentator)

* = Ty Cobb was late arriving so he didn't actually speak during the ceremony. However, he was interviewed later in the broadcast by Mel Allen.

Thoughts on this endeavor?

39special
01-07-2012, 08:53 AM
WOW! That is going to be a challenge.But that is the fun part of collecting!!
Good luck and keep us posted!

prewarsports
01-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Cool idea, FWIW though Branham is not difficult at all and actually relatively plentiful so that should put some ease into it, he should set you back less than $100 as he signed a lot of Minor League documents in his day.

Rhys Yeakley

scmavl
01-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Cool idea, FWIW though Branham is not difficult at all and actually relatively plentiful so that should put some ease into it, he should set you back less than $100 as he signed a lot of Minor League documents in his day.

Rhys Yeakley

That's great to hear, thanks. My initial searches didn't find anything from him.

sycks22
01-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Best of luck Jarrod. Finding a decent Ruth for under $2k will be a treat.

scmavl
01-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Agreed, Pete. The Ruth and Johnson will break me I'm sure! This will be a slow, slow process.

mr2686
01-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Sounds like a fun project. As for Cobb, I know he was late for the official photograph, but I just saw one of the MLB shows (may have been one of the Prime9 shows) and I'm pretty sure I remember Cobb giving a short thank you speach at the HOF. He seemed to be talking to the crowd and not just an interviewer.

packs
01-07-2012, 12:42 PM
I've got an Alexander signed baseball for sale if you want it. But it is expensive.

chaddurbin
01-07-2012, 01:07 PM
easy peasy ;)

Gary Dunaier
01-09-2012, 10:48 PM
* = Ty Cobb was late arriving so he didn't actually speak during the ceremony. However, he was interviewed later in the broadcast by Mel Allen.

If you're seeking Cobb and Allen because they were part of the radio broadcast, you might want to consider including Tom Manning, who was the NBC commentator on the broadcast.

scmavl
01-10-2012, 09:35 PM
If you're seeking Cobb and Allen because they were part of the radio broadcast, you might want to consider including Tom Manning, who was the NBC commentator on the broadcast.

I considered that. It's probably not a bad idea. :)

perezfan
01-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Here's a signed ball from that very event.

As evidenced underneath Ruth, James Farley was there too. Also on the ball (but not pictured) are Eddie Collins, Connie Mack, Tris Speaker, Ford Frick and Kennesaw M. Landis...

Big Six
01-11-2012, 02:40 PM
I think Perezfan is trying to kill poor Jarrod by showing that ball... ;)

scmavl
01-12-2012, 11:21 AM
I think Perezfan is trying to kill poor Jarrod by showing that ball... ;)

Actually, Perezfan sent me a PM offering to sell it to me for $250, but I think that's a little high. I mean, look how faded the thing is!!! :rolleyes: