PDA

View Full Version : W580 Dempsey and Tunney value?

Blitzu
01-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Hi all,

New to the site, and I really enjoy it so far. It helped me identify these two boxing cards I picked up over a year ago. I got these from a guy at a antique store that had a handful of old boxing cards for sell.

They're both really clean, and I was surprised to learn this series was hand cut. These two are very sharp.

Question is, will there be any value in these? Enough to send them into PSA?

Pictures are below.

Thanks!

Exhibitman
01-07-2012, 06:00 AM
Offhand those look to be from the "Siam" issue of the set. It was issued for the Far East in a factory cut on nicer stock. If they are likely to go high grade, they're worth a slabbing for resale. Otherwise, save your money. The only way to tell pricing would be to auction them if they are high grade and you slab them.

Blitzu
01-07-2012, 06:56 AM
Offhand those look to be from the "Siam" issue of the set. It was issued for the Far East in a factory cut on nicer stock. If they are likely to go high grade, they're worth a slabbing for resale. Otherwise, save your money. The only way to tell pricing would be to auction them if they are high grade and you slab them.

Huh, that may explain why these look like they were factory cut. I can't see any signs of them being hand cut. So what's the value of a Siam version over another?

I guess I'll send them in to see how they grade. I'm guessing they'll grade maybe 6 to 7? Possibly higher because there are no creases or stains and all four corners are pretty good.

So if this does grade high, what kind of value is in a W580 Dempsey as a PSA 7 let's say? Thanks!

Blitzu
02-01-2012, 10:53 PM

Update: Sent them into PSA and the Dempsey graded at PSA 5 and the Tunney graded at a PSA 4.

Any idea what I could expect from these grades off of eBay or auction?

Thanks.

Ohh also BTW, I also picked up a full sheet of W580 cards uncut from an antique store the other day. Only recognizable player is Jack Johnson who is the second card in. Any idea what an uncut sheet would be worth?