PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Year! Humor (and help) from CCSA!

pscolgrafs
01-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Happy New Year, and Coach's was at it again with their December 30th auction. It's become old hat to point out the musings of this PA auction firm, but a few hilarities to bring in the New Year.

First off, they sold a Hall Of Fame bat signed by a number of Hall Of Famers and I'm sure we all know the Hall Of Famers and there is an epic Sandy Koufax (looks good to me!), Ozzie Smith (yup, that's the Wizard!), Ernie Banks (wow!), but is that supposed to be Robin Yount and is that Yaz underneath and the rest elude me.

Second, did Jackie Robinson forget to sign his name and even at that slow pace of which it was signed? Just look at that "A" and "O". Oh, Global!

Third, someone got a bargain with that Ruth and friends at $638!

Lastly, what would you rather have if given roughly $300? Three Stan Musial signed balls or a Christy Mathewson/Ty Cobb dual signed item AND a King Kelly signature?

thetruthisoutthere
01-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Their new auction began today.

This is another piece of crap "authenticated" by Chris "I Never Saw An Autograph I Didn't Like" Morales.

Scott Garner
01-05-2012, 04:49 PM
More crap! I just feel sorry for all the people that buy this garbage. :(

thetruthisoutthere
01-05-2012, 05:22 PM
No two "authenticators (cough, cough)" have certed more Eddie Plank cut sigs than Ted Taylor and Chris Morales.

With Ted Taylor claiming to be a Philadelphia Athletics historian, you would think that Mr. Taylor would, at the very least, question Lee Trythall and Scott Malack about the hundreds of rare vintage cuts that Coach's Corner Auctions list every year. But a bigger question is how does Mr. Taylor "authenticate" those rare cut sigs every single month?

Shoeless Moe
01-05-2012, 07:00 PM
It's nice they put their sticker right on the front of the autograph, hopefully it can't be peeled off, so we'll spot the garbage should it ever make it's way to Ebay.

thetruthisoutthere
01-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Here's another real beauty "authenticated (cough, cough)" by Chris Morales, Forensic Investigator. Of course, Mr. Morales, used "Scientific principles of handwriting comparison as well as state of the art technology" to determine that all 23 signatures on the below item are authentic.

Is it possible that during his examination of the below signatures, that Mr. Morales forgot to turn on the light of his stereo-microscope?

By the way, the signatures below look like they were done by child just learning how to write.

Way to go, Chris Morales, Forensic Investigator.

RichardSimon
01-05-2012, 09:13 PM
More crap! I just feel sorry for all the people that buy this garbage. :(

Judging by what we have seen here from other crappy sellers, don't feel too sorry for some of the buyers.
Some of those buyers are crappy sellers too.
And you have to just love that Yankee team sheet. 20+ signatures and not one of them touching another, yeah like that really would happen.

Vintagedegu
01-06-2012, 02:53 AM
-

J.McMurry
01-06-2012, 05:14 AM
I still believe that CC is some kind of elaborate distribution system for crooked dealers disguised as a public auction.

thetruthisoutthere
01-06-2012, 06:02 AM
Judging by what we have seen here from other crappy sellers, don't feel too sorry for some of the buyers.
Some of those buyers are crappy sellers too.
And you have to just love that Yankee team sheet. 20+ signatures and not one of them touching another, yeah like that really would happen.

Ditto. A lot of the crap ends up in stores in California, Las Vegas, Florida, etc., and sold to impulse-buyers for between 10-20 times the selling price. Those "impulse-buyers" are always impressed by the "Forensic" COA.

RichardSimon
01-06-2012, 06:53 AM
And what's the wacky neon 'COA' sticker taped to it(?). They put those on my ground beef.

Ted Taylor is a ground beef inspector too?
Hope you don't eat that meat.
Now at least we know his day job.

thetruthisoutthere
01-06-2012, 07:11 AM
And then we have Ted Taylor, Mr. Philadelphia Athletics Historian, who was quoted in an article published by the Philly Burbs, that before he started Stat Authentic with Jeff Stevens, that they had discussed whether to start an
authentication company or open up a hot dog stand.

RichardSimon
01-06-2012, 07:44 AM
Come on guys.
Let's cut these people a break here.
To paraphrase a highly revered (:D:D) hobby person "there are two levels of auction houses, one for those who can pay high prices and one auction house that caters to those that cannot pay high prices."
A statement very similiar to this was used in the past when this highly revered (:D:D) hobby person was asked about CC.
I guess that statement also applies to consignors, one auction house for those who want to achieve high prices for their consignments and one for those who want to achieve low prices for their consignments.
My bid is a $3 bill for that Sam Clemens piece btw, and thanks for pointing it out CS, that will make a fine addition to my Mark Twain collection.

Mr. Zipper
01-06-2012, 07:59 AM
You really have to wonder what kind of forensic examination was conducted on the Washington + Jefferson dual signed cut signed in "fountain pen ink."

It's so ludicrous... how can they even post these lots with a straight face?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/zipper68/Untitled-1.jpg

RichardSimon
01-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Aamzing how a 200+ year old piece of whatever is so clean.
I love the description of the ink,, it now appears brown due to the age.
I am sure it now appears brown due to the tea, urine or whatever has been used to produce it.

thetruthisoutthere
01-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Here's another assembly line Christy Mathewson signed baseball presented to you by Lee Trythall & Scott Malack of Coach's Corner Sports Auctions. And, of course, it was painstakingly examined by Chris "I Never Saw An Autograph I Didn't Like" Morales.

David Atkatz
01-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Oh Boy! More Coach's Corner fakes! What a surprise!

Rickyy
01-06-2012, 02:02 PM
These are all really tempting... but I'm really holding out for John Wilkes Booth and Abraham Lincoln signed stove pipe hat! :p

Ricky Y

sycks22
01-06-2012, 02:24 PM
My favorite was the Jackie ball that was signed probably last weekend with a bic pen. People are talking about consigners, do you really think people send them items? I guarantee 95% of their stuff they find in a dark alley and think "hey I can sign this".

RichardSimon
01-06-2012, 02:51 PM
From what I have been told, repeatedly, there are 3 or 4 people who continually consign to them.
One is a known forger, two are known sellers of forgeries through other venues. One had been on ebay until barred and one ran auctions on one of those independent auction sites. However, the e mails that I get naming these people offers no proof of their guilt.
My prior remark about consignors was meant in jest. Forgers don't care what it sells for, it is all profit.

Mr. Zipper
01-06-2012, 03:04 PM
One would think that this whole racket would be an easy case of criminal conspiracy for any competant prosecutor.

If only 3 - 4 people are continuously consigning all these "rare" items, it is clearly willfull ignorance on the part of the auction house. There is no way they -- and their primary "authenticators" -- could hide behind any sort of "opinion" defense.

thetruthisoutthere
01-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Yeah, their Primary Authenticators. What a joke!!

And, of course, it's no surprise that the Coach's Corner COA, the Ted Taylor (TTA & Stat Authentic) COA and the Chris Morales COA are all on Ebay's banned COA list.

Ted Taylor, Philadelphia Athletics historian, on Ebay's banned COA list.

Chris Morales, Forensic Investigator, on Ebay's banned COA list.