PDA

View Full Version : Colorful, but I wish they didn't do it.

Brian Van Horn
01-02-2012, 08:38 PM
http://www.cherryvalleyauctionbarnny.com/photo35.JPG

iggyman
01-02-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm sure it seemed like a good idea in 1955. What is interesting to me is that all of the red background cards faded to orange.

Lovely Day...

HRBAKER
01-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Actually pretty neat looking. The "artist" obviously was no fan of the red background cards.

3-2-count
01-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Love it!! I'd proudly display that on my wall..........

asoriano
01-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Trimmed or not, that is awesome.

Edited to add: Anybody else notice that some of the cards are missing ink (i.e. Niles, Stahl, Dahlen, etc.)?

atx840
01-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Ummm, this is odd, all 34/34 649 OP cards are on here.....and so is the Nicholls :)

http://i.imgur.com/4gj1x.jpg

willworkforT206
01-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Cool piece. Sad to see all those T206s cut up like that, but I'd still love to have it on my wall.

There is something interesting about the cards in the frame if you study them closely. Every one of them is from what is traditionally known as the 150-only Series and the 150/350 Series. There isn't a single card from the 350-only Series, the 350/460 Series, the 460-only Series or the Series that Scot Reader has dubbed the "Super Prints". The cards in the frame are almost like a snap shot in time of what a complete T206 set looked like early in the 150/350 Series print run - or exactly what Tim C. and Jim R. describe as the "150 Series" or "Print Group 1" on t206resource.com.

Here are the details: there are 152 cards in the frame (8 rows of 19 cards). All the cards are unique except for three duplicates - one each of Whitey Alperman, Germany Schaefer (Detroit) and Tubby Spencer. Johnny Kling, who is a 150/350 subject, is missing. The other key subjects missing from the frame are 1) Honus Wagner, 2) Eddie Plank, 3) Sam Crawford (Throwing), 4) Hughie Jennings (Portrait), 5) Carl Lundgren (Chicago) and 6) Sherry Magie (Portrait).

Now compare that with the description of the "150 Series" from t206resource.com: "The 150 Series began production and distribution around May 1909. The first print runs of this series consisted of 150 subjects, all from print group 1. These cards were printed with Piedmont 150, Sweet Caporal 150 and Sovereign 150 backs. In subsequent print runs, five additional cards were added. The first three were Honus Wagner, Eddie Plank and Sam Crawford (Throwing), with the two later additions being Carl Lundgren (Chicago) and Hughie Jennings (Portrait.) ... Also during the first printings of the 150 series, the Magie (Portrait) card was replaced with the corrected Magee (Portrait) card and is considered a necessary variation for completing a 524-card set. This variation and the mid-production additions brings the total number of 150 Series subjects and variations for the 524-card set to 156 cards." (Bold added for emphasis).

So in summary, here is the math:

156 cards in the 150 Series per t206resource.com
- 6 "mid-production additions" (Wagner, Plank, Crawford, Jennings, Lundgren and Magie)
- 1 subject missing from the frame (Kling)
+3 duplicate subjects in the frame (Alperman, Schaefer and Spencer)
=152 cards in the frame

Whoever framed those cards was pretty meticulous about what they were framing. Too bad they didn't have a Johnny Kling.

Steve

Texxxx
01-04-2012, 05:52 AM
If anyone goes to the auction, let us know what it sells for please.

yanks12025
01-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Guess I won't bother bidding now. What ever happened to don't post live auctions? I'm guessing not many saw this auction.

brob28
01-04-2012, 01:46 PM
I knew I had seen something similar to this recently. Check out this from the SCP November 2011 auction. Final price over $10k.

http://www.scpauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=16859

Runscott
01-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Guess I won't bother bidding now. What ever happened to don't post live auctions? I'm guessing not many saw this auction.

Brock - this is actually a good thing for you. If everyone who was thinking about bidding has your attitude, no one will show up at the auction.

But now that I've posted this, EVERYONE will show up, thinking no one will show up.

But if they read the above line, they still won't show up.

BWHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

Matt
01-04-2012, 03:31 PM
What ever happened to don't post live auctions?

There never was any such rule.

Ease
01-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Brock - this is actually a good thing for you. If everyone who was thinking about bidding has your attitude, no one will show up at the auction.

But now that I've posted this, EVERYONE will show up, thinking no one will show up.

But if they read the above line, they still won't show up.

BWHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

That's awesome!

ruth-gehrig
01-04-2012, 04:02 PM
so did it sell yet?

atx840
01-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Estate Auction: Saturday, January, 7th, 10:00 AM start, preview 9:00 AM

yanks12025
01-04-2012, 04:47 PM
There never was any such rule.

You're right, there is no such rule. But I've seen Many people write about it being an unwritten one before. So if your watching an auction and no one was watching it. But then someone posts it and it jumps in price, youd be upset. Exactly

rainier2004
01-04-2012, 06:55 PM
You're right, there is no such rule. But I've seen Many people write about it being an unwritten one before. So if your watching an auction and no one was watching it. But then someone posts it and it jumps in price, youd be upset. Exactly

So would that pertain to any live auction? What about say questioning the authenticity of a card and asking other members for their opinion? I'm assuming e-bay would be included in this.

yanks12025
01-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Go back and read the thread about the Carl Horner photo from eBay last week. Others talked about outing auctions.

WillowGrove
01-05-2012, 07:25 AM
So would that pertain to any live auction? What about say questioning the authenticity of a card and asking other members for their opinion? I'm assuming e-bay would be included in this.

This is an odd thread to me - because there is an unwritten rule not to out auctions -live, ebay, etc. - fellow forum members always get disappointed when an auction is posted before it is over - that's why it's frowned upon. Okay maybe the REA's and huge auctions don't apply but for the most part.

However, the distinction we should make here is that when questions are asked about items that are in current auctions, I see they are typically asked w/o disclosing the actual auction. There would be a photo, maybe a note saying something like, "I have a chance to buy this next week..." but not the actual link to auction.

Right guys?

T206DK
01-05-2012, 07:45 AM
outing auctions is ok in my book. I do it now and again on some of the forums I participate in. the days of thinking that noone else sees what you see on ebay are pretty much over. The last great find of mine was in 2007 when I found some T200's listed in a childrens clothing category. Noone else ever bid on them so I got them at a great price. I wouldn't have gotten bent out of shape had others "found" them, and I wouldn't have threatened anyone for ruining my fun had they "outed" the auction here. I know what my financial limits are as far as collecting goes and try to stay within them. For many on this board , money is no object and you buy whatever you want whenever you want, so I could see how some others might get upset about "outing".

Leon
01-05-2012, 08:08 AM
This is an odd thread to me - because there is an unwritten rule not to out auctions -live, ebay, etc. - fellow forum members always get disappointed when an auction is posted before it is over - that's why it's frowned upon. Okay maybe the REA's and huge auctions don't apply but for the most part.

However, the distinction we should make here is that when questions are asked about items that are in current auctions, I see they are typically asked w/o disclosing the actual auction. There would be a photo, maybe a note saying something like, "I have a chance to buy this next week..." but not the actual link to auction.

Right guys?

That is pretty much correct.
Just like Matt said above, there are no rules about outing auctions and there never will be. We have discussed this many times. There are more reasons for not having a rule about it than having one. Now, that being said, I, like many folks, would rather live auctions not be outed. I won't be emailing or PM'ing anyone about it unless I think it's their OWN auction. Now that would be against the rules of advertising a card you own for sale on the main board. If you want to do that then there is a BST section for it. This is the way the etiquette and rules have been as far back as I can remember. carry on... best regards

edited to add- almost all times you can copy a picture and post it without outing the auction

rainier2004
01-05-2012, 10:19 AM

Alright, I get it and you are correct here. Thanks.

ruth-gehrig
01-08-2012, 09:50 AM
anyone know what this sold for yesterday?

yanks12025
01-08-2012, 01:21 PM
$1,900. And I was told by a member who went that the names on the cards were also cut from the card and just placed near the photos.

Pat R
11-15-2022, 08:16 PM
I found this older thread does anyone have a full color image of this item or has anyone seen it since it sold in the auction?

Casey2296
11-15-2022, 08:39 PM
I love these old threads, it's entertaining to see the prices quoted.

Pat R
11-16-2022, 06:43 AM
I love these old threads, it's entertaining to see the prices quoted.

I surprised this thread didn't get more responses from the T206 crowd as Steve pointed out in post number 7 it's a very informative collage and the piece indicates that the cards used to assemble it were from a short and specific timeframe with Kling being the only exception the only cards missing from the first print group are a late name change and cards that were late or suspected late additions to print group 1.