PDA

View Full Version : Maybe a stupid Question. Forgive me.

GrayGhost
01-02-2012, 08:02 AM
A Buddy of mine has a blank back card he wants me to try and sell for him. Now, here is my ?.

Are 1968 topps cards a GRAY BACK? I really, honestly can't tell, by looking at a regular card. Sorry if I sound dumb. ha. Ive actually had a couple blank backs from 68 and don't recall if the back was Gray.

Thanks in advance, and hopefully the card will be for sale soon at a nice price here on the NET:)

doug.goodman
01-02-2012, 12:31 PM
The backs of the 1968 Topps baseball are white with yellow and black print.

Doug

GrayGhost
01-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Well, wasn't sure overall> ive sold /had many 1968 topps cards. just never really noticed..

Here is a picture. Does anyone know what this might be then?

Volod
01-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Sorry, my brain is spinning from trying to figure how Gene Mauch won Manager of the Year in 1964.

GrayGhost
01-02-2012, 07:14 PM
I wonder if its a repro, or something off a box? weird.

steve B
01-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Some 68's also have a layer of white under the yellow and black. It's probably one of those without any of the back printing.

The white printed ones really stand out, very white compared to the creamy color of the usual cardboard. A few of the years in the late 60's are that way, it;s most obvious on the 69s.

Steve B

David W
01-02-2012, 09:17 PM
sorry, my brain is spinning from trying to figure how gene mauch won manager of the year in 1964.

lol

GrayGhost
01-02-2012, 09:20 PM
mine is pure gray tho. :o

steve B
01-03-2012, 06:04 AM
I'll have a look at my 68s tonight. I'm pretty sure the ones with the printed white backs are gray inside.

So the cardboard is gray, and the inks are in order- white, orange, black.
the ones on the cream cardboard only have the orange and black.

I'd be interested once he decides to sell.

Steve B

ALR-bishop
01-03-2012, 07:35 AM
For most early years Topps did front proof runs in which the cards are blank on the back. I am not sure how easy it is to tell a proof from a blank back printing error during the regular card runs. Some proofs are obvious, like the Maris 67 as a Yankee ,the 77 Jackson as an Oriole, or the 84 "Encased Head In The Box" cards, because of front differences from the regular issued cards.

In 68 there were also the separate Milton Bradley game cards. They look the same on the front but have yellowish backs. I think Perry was in that set. Not sure if they did separate proof cards for that issue

But proof or error, I am a variations collector in general and there is not a great market for blank back or even wrong back cards. Even proof cards do not get a lot of attention unless there is a front difference to the regular card like those mentioned above. Perry is a name player and a Perry collector might be interested but it might bring less than a regular Perry card in top condition

GrayGhost
01-03-2012, 08:07 AM
I'll have a look at my 68s tonight. I'm pretty sure the ones with the printed white backs are gray inside.

So the cardboard is gray, and the inks are in order- white, orange, black.
the ones on the cream cardboard only have the orange and black.

I'd be interested once he decides to sell.

Steve B

I do know he wants to sell it. Not sure of the price. I'll prob put it up in the auction section once I get more definite info, in next day/two. THANKS TO ALL SO FAR for your help and input.

nebboy
01-03-2012, 09:14 AM
The first thing I would look at is the edges to see if it has the factory rolled front edge from being guillotine cut or a if is it was hand cut with square edges from a X-acto knife.

Did you search Topps Vault?

Also here is one listed on the E-Bay. Something to compare.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-TOPPS-504-RUSS-SNYDER-RARE-BLANK-BACK-BCCG-7-/350430255607

GrayGhost
01-03-2012, 10:38 AM
card is currently up for Auction as well in the Live auction section. thanks.

bbcard1
01-03-2012, 02:02 PM
I think it's legit, but interesting. I have both a black white back and a blank gray back of Bob Trumpy from 1970 Topps football.

steve B
01-04-2012, 06:15 PM
my 68's with the white printed on the back are on cardboard that's only slightly darker then the usual. I'd be leaning towards it being a proof of some sort.

All the white printed backs I have are 5th series cards, something I hadn't noticed till now.

Steve B