PDA

View Full Version : Spring training 1957 autos

frankbmd
01-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Happy New Year. After 55 years it is time to share some of the autographs I obtained at Phillie spring training games in 1957 at the age of 9. There are over 120 autographs in the book with about 20 Hall of Famers. Unfortunately there is no Mantle or Williams.

How many 9 year olds today can claim such a collection?

GrayGhost
01-01-2012, 09:03 AM
I love stories like that. congrats. like to see more pics:)

sayhey24
01-01-2012, 09:32 AM
What a great slice of your childhood to still have in your collection -- and those autographs certainly are "Penworthy"!

Greg
http://www.baseballbasement.com

Ease
01-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Very cool. Thanx for sharing!

stone193
01-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Hi Frank

All I can say is: "wow!" What a great experience - I'm envious.

Thanx for sharing.

HRBAKER
01-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Frank,
Thanks for sharing, those are very nice.
I have a similar autograph book from my 6th grade year 1971 when the School Boy Patrol got to go to a Cardinals game at the end of the year as a reward for our hard work keeping the crosswalks safe before and after school.
I think it has a Brock, Toree, Carlton and a few others. Great memories just like yours.

Jeff

frankbmd
01-02-2012, 07:32 AM
Jeff,

my first year in Florida. My elementary school was about a half mile from Jack Russell Stadium in Clearwater. After school it was off to the ball park that spring. After the fourth inning you could get in for free. After the games the visitor's bus was always parked outside the clubhouse on the third base side of the field. Several of us would "occupy" the ground between the clubhouse and the bus and required only an autograph for safe passage to the bus. We were seldom refused.

I hope this clarifies any questions, not yet raised, about the provenance of these samples.

As a side note, if anyone needs authentication of an Angelo LiPetri autograph, I may be the guy. He signed my book twice, but never made it to the bigs.

Thanks to all for their kind words.

Frank

GrayGhost
01-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Thats what makes this hobby great. the amazing stories some of you guys have. LOVE the memories. If that book was mine, Id NEVER sell it. The memories are too strong.