PDA

View Full Version : National Baltimore - Hotel recommendations

x2drich2000
12-29-2011, 06:40 AM
With the National in Baltimore again this coming year, was curious where everyone was planning to stay or recommendations/places to avoid. In 2010 we stayed at the Days Inn but did not want to stay there again. Also, when do you generally make reservations?

DJ

Jewish-collector
12-29-2011, 08:20 AM
DJ,

Here are the hotels within walking distance of the convention center.

http://www.conferencehousing.com/TheNational/Baltimore/

The Hilton is connected to the convention center and most of the others are a short walk. A lot of collectors stay at a less expensive hotel outside the city and take the light rail or metro to the convention center.

See you in Baltimore !!!

Alan

HRBAKER
12-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Stayed at The Hilton that Alan mentioned in 2010. Aside from someone being shot on our floor the first night - everything was great. :)

It is nice and convenient and right across the street from the ballpark.

tiger8mush
12-29-2011, 08:53 AM
It is nice and convenient and right across the street from the ballpark.

Unfortunately I don't think the O's are in town the week of the convention :(

Poor planning IMO cuz that was a highlight to take the family to the game

HRBAKER
12-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Unfortunately I don't think the O's are in town the week of the convention :(

Poor planning IMO cuz that was a highlight to take the family to the game

That sucks, I hadn't even bothered to look at the schedule yet. Yes, that is poor planning.

Donscards
12-29-2011, 10:52 AM
I stayed at the Days Inn a block away last year $119 per night plus $22 parking per night---not a bad hotel there are many close by---this year I am staying at Sheraton next door to convention $149 per parking $5 per night---too bad the Orioles are not in town--the national was offered this date and couldnt refuse or it would have been a few more years until it came back---see u in August Don Hontz

12-29-2011, 10:54 AM
We stayed at Embassy and took the light rail.

1) Cheaper rate
2) Suite, which is like 2 rooms for the price of 1
3) Free breakfast buffet with omelets

... what is this you say about no O's game that weekend?!?!?!

rainier2004
12-30-2011, 02:38 PM
... what is this you say about no O's game that weekend?!?!?!

The O's travel to NNY on MOnday 7/30/12 thri 8/1, have 8/2 and play a 3-game set at TB 8/2, 8/4 and 8/5 before returning home to open a series against seattle monday 8/6/12...after we've all left.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/bal/half/2/baltimore-orioles

chris6net
12-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Not having the Orioles in town is not only very poor planning but a joke. I have been advocating for years having the National in NYC but all I keep hearing is that it is too expensive. Then if you are going to have it in Cleveland or Baltimore at least schedule it when the baseball team is in town.

T206BrownHindu
12-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Yeah, the O's can use any attendance help they can get...poor planning. Saw them against the Halos the last time it was in Baltimore, great game. Pretty much had our pick of seats, too.

Mark

toppcat
12-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Not having the Orioles in town is not only very poor planning but a joke. I have been advocating for years having the National in NYC but all I keep hearing is that it is too expensive. Then if you are going to have it in Cleveland or Baltimore at least schedule it when the baseball team is in town.

The Nats are home in DC I believe; the date for National was picked in advance of the AL scheduling so luck of the draw I guess!

edhans
12-31-2011, 07:59 AM
The venues require that the dates for the conventions be established well in advance of the baseball schedule. There's no way the committee can take the MLB schedule into account.

I have been advocating for years having the National in NYC but all I keep hearing is that it is too expensive.
I have heard some of the numbers associated with a New York City National. As I understand it, union requirements would triple or quadruple the price of a booth even before you factor parking and lodging, etc. into the equation. You'd have about a dozen dealers who could afford to set up. There is virtually zero chance of a National in the Big Apple.

uffda51
12-31-2011, 04:22 PM
I, too, stayed at the Hilton in 2010, checking in the day after the guy got shot in the hotel. It was fine but the proximity to the ballpark, while a big plus, is moot for 2012.

Danny Smith
01-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Phils and the fish are in town vs the nats. Quick train ride fom balt on the marc train to union station in dc and easy metro ride to nats park. Or its a 30 min drive to dc (if you miss rush hour). Nats park is pretty awesome.

Kzoo
01-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Guys...........Myself and a couple buddies are getting ready to make reservations and are wondering if anyone else has any comments on the Days Inn that's a block from the show. It seems to be the most cost effective lodging within walking distance. Also, how do most people get from the airport to downtown without a car? ...Shuttle bus? Taxi? Hitchhike? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

bjcunningham
01-06-2012, 08:36 AM
You can take the light rail from the airport or a taxi. I'd advise against hitch-hiking.