PDA

View Full Version : 1893 Just So Buck Ewing

zljones
12-29-2011, 06:39 AM
While doing my prowling on the internet looking up old auctions of rare cards that occured in the past and also looking up any possible history on certain cards and their manufacturers, I came accross this:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2010/111.html

This story blows me away that he was helping remodel his mother's bathroom and there it was. Since the family had the house since the 1920s, and the card was put there by the owner previous to them, it makes me wonder how easy it would be to track down the property info on the people that lived there before this family that put that card there in the first place. Maybe some decendents of that family that lived there before 1920 may have info that can lead to the origin of that card. Maybe the original owner of that house was a Just So Tobacco employee or lived in Cleveland or something. I know nothing about this set and can't find anything on the internet about this set, so I am assuming that there is no info about it or not much. Maybe these cards were only given to employees at Just So, or maybe they were only distributed locally? In Cleveland? Because they are Cleveland Spider players on them.
When I read this it got me thinking about this card and this set, just because of how rare it is and fascinating. And what a story behind it:cool:. I wish I had the time and the means to research it myself.

barrysloate
12-29-2011, 08:01 AM
Just So's were a regional set that are assumed to have circulated around Cleveland. They were released to the public, but all are very rare and few survived.

nolemmings
12-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Zach,

The cards are beautiful and worthy of your research efforts. They are of course rare and thus very expensive, but the Cy Young rookie card has been the subject of many a collector's fantasies. The previous poster has been fortunate enough to have handled several of these (Hi Barry), as have Terry Knouse and a few others. As for me, I would love to scrape up the five figures needed to afford a nice common for type, but they don't come around often, and my liquidity never seems to match up with their availability. :( The Ewing was a new discovery, as noted in the auction description--FWIW, I believe the McAleer is still out there somewhere.

barrysloate
12-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Yes Todd, I believe I've sold a total of eight different, including six at one time.

zljones
12-29-2011, 10:26 AM
I guess the only way I can even think to begin to research this is message REA and ask if they can ask the consignor for info. I am sure they will not divulge any personal info on the consignor directly. Then the next step I would imagine would be be the consignor to look into the property records or give me the address so I can. Then after that probably look up the family members of the house owner. They will probably have no info on a great relative like that, but who knows if they do they may have more of those cards laying around.:)

aaroncc
12-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Old thread on Just So Ewing: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=115882

zljones
12-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Old thread on Just So Ewing: http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=115882

Thanks that answers my question there, I need not go any further with this research then. I tried to search past threads but I never pulled that one, thanks for showing me that.

novakjr
12-29-2011, 10:59 AM
I got my hands on a Just So of Childs a long time ago.. It's an inch or so larger each way, and a cabinet, so I know that it's not a legit Just So, or at the very least legit by known standards. I have also been unable to find any info about reprints, or cabinet variations, or anything remotely relating to the subject.

Basically, does anyone know if there was a reprint cabinet style run of these? If so, any idea when? Are there any known forgeries of the Just So's?

Last and most importantly, is there anything cabinet-wise, known to be legitimately related to the original issue? I know there's a slim chance of this, but I just figured I'd ask.

I pretty much assume that this is a reprint of some sort, but am just getting around to trying to find some info out about it..

bcbgcbrcb
12-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Could be something like the Burkett which was rebacked

e107collector
12-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Dave,

Would you be able to post a scan of your card?

Tony

novakjr
12-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Tony, I don't have a scanner, so I'll work on getting to my dad's to get a scan of it.. While I'm at it, Phil, I've still gotta get you a scan of that m.l die cut Dickey. So I'll knock 'em both out in one shot..

bcbgcbrcb
12-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks, David!

novakjr
01-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Tony, here's some photos...

e107collector
01-26-2012, 04:50 PM
I wonder if you card was cut from some sort of advertisement piece?

Tony

Bicem
01-27-2012, 06:57 AM
Definitely looks like a reprint to me.

novakjr
01-27-2012, 07:02 AM
Definitely looks like a reprint to me.

I figured it was. I was just wondering if there were any documented reprints/counterfeits? And maybe know of their origins?

bcbgcbrcb
01-27-2012, 07:16 AM
Reprint

Bicem
01-27-2012, 08:29 AM
I figured it was. I was just wondering if there were any documented reprints/counterfeits? And maybe know of their origins?

Some guy's laser printer? Honestly, anything can be reprinted these days.

novakjr
01-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Some guy's laser printer? Honestly, anything can be reprinted these days.

No, not necessarily this one. I was looking for info on any documented older reprints, if any existed..

bcbgcbrcb
01-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Recently on e-bay, someone was selling late 1800's reprints of cabinet cards, team photos, etc. Looks like this one might be their doing.