PDA

View Full Version : Babe Ruth Box

71buc
12-26-2011, 10:53 PM
I have been wanting one of these for quite awhile. A friend of mine in California was given this by the family an older man she provided in home care for. When he died they were going to throw this out. She asked if she could have it and it was given to her. Knowing my interest in such things she sent me these picture on her cell phone. I'm pretty certain it is authentic. She is willing to sell it to me very cheaply. I don't want to take advantage of her as she is a good friend and very trusting of me. I saw the one at Probstiens123 auction went for 910.00. That one was in excellent shape and contained the underwear with tagging and the bat as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1930s-Babe-Ruth-Yankees-All-America-Athletic-Underwear-w-Box-garment-/110792942690?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item19cbc62462

This one is the box only and as you can see it is a bit rough. She says the corners are intact and there is no tape or tears. However, it does have "Funeral Keepsakes" written in pencil on the 9. I would like some feedback as to what would be a fair offer to her for this item. Thanks in advance.

mjkm90
12-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Mike, The price of these has a large range. Considering condition of this example, I would not go over $250 to $300. You can erase the pencil mark gently but the edges are a bit off and I see a couple creases. If you love the piece and want an example in your collection, I would hold out for a better one and pay more.

Any other oppinions for Mike?

Oldtix
12-27-2011, 01:31 PM
I would agree with Mike...I think $200 is a very fair price to pay for this one. It isn't faded on the top, like so many I've seen. Would like nice on display.

Funny story - years ago, I found a similar box with six pairs inside, still wrapped in the paper bands. I called my Dad to tell him that I had found a box of Babe Ruth underwear. He said, "How do you know they were his?"

I told him they smelled like hot dogs. Gee, I miss that guy.

Nice find, 71buc!

71buc
12-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks Mike and Rick I appreciate your time. Your estimate is actually very much in the neighborhood of what I was going to offer her for it.

Mike

WillowGrove
12-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Just found this photo online so thought I'd attach it here. Maybe something else to shoot for 71 buc?

71buc
12-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Just found this photo online so thought I'd attach it here. Maybe something else to shoot for 71 buc?

I saw that one sell for $1,276.51 in the most recent Henry Yee auction. It is WAY out of my league. I just paid $250 for the Ruth box which is more in line with my budget. My wife permitted me to do so as long as I agreed to not make any ebay purchases for six months. I quit drinking 21 years ago and I have a feeling that my continued sobriety will be much easier than honoring my promised ebay sabbatical ;)

Oldtix
12-27-2011, 06:06 PM

The Babe was just ahead of his time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhwbxEfy7fg