PDA

View Full Version : 1933 Goudey Ruth (yellow background)???

jg8422
12-25-2011, 08:06 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220919843429&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Thoughts? Seem suspicious? Seller doesn't have much feedback and the feedback listed is mostly all for fishing accessories. I didn't see any feedback for cards.

sycks22
12-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Someone that sells elmo DVD's for $3 and never has sold a card on ebay doesn't have a $40k Ruth. Just my thoughts.

Leon
12-25-2011, 08:15 AM
If I were interested in that card, from that seller, they and I would be having a nice chat on the phone before I bid. It's as easy as that.

ctownboy
12-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Under Feed Back as a buyer, it shows he bought a Galasso 1933 Goudey Ruth #53 reprint on December 19.

David

buymycards
12-25-2011, 10:32 AM
This card looks like it would grade around VG/EX.

zljones
12-25-2011, 10:51 AM
If it is not real then how did he get in a PSA case without frosted edges? I am not defending the seller but I am simply wondering if fakes can get THAT complex where they can avoid frosting I would like to know.

thenextlevel
12-25-2011, 11:31 AM
I wouldnt trust anything suspicious coming from the State College PA area. A few years ago, I had to pay a personal visit to a scammer, who happened to be a college student selling bogus stuff for some big scammer, who was giving him material to sell. I saw other auctions from sellers around that area over the years, that were bogus. Probably the top guys mo, get college kids looking for money to sell his garbage.

bbcard1
12-25-2011, 11:48 AM
I would rather not post it up for anyone to see, but if you have worked much with plastic, there is a simple way to remove the frosting.

CW
12-25-2011, 12:29 PM
If it is not real then how did he get in a PSA case without frosted edges? I am not defending the seller but I am simply wondering if fakes can get THAT complex where they can avoid frosting I would like to know.

How can you tell that the edges are NOT frosted (especially with the near white background the seller uses for the photos)?

Runscott
12-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Well, the first obvious red flag is that the card shown is not near-mint. Given that, you know there's been hanky-panky. The next question you ask yourself is, "Do I want to give this guy grief over this?"

I hope everyone's having a great Christmas.

CW
12-25-2011, 02:48 PM
As an aside, but somewhat related to the topic, I thought that was a very strong price for the PSA 8 '33 Goudey Ruth #53 in the Dec. Goodwin auction ($48K w/ BP). I would never be in the market for such a card, but it's nice to see some strong interest in these old pieces of cardboard, despite the economy.

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=21278&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=3&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1&seo=Remarkable-Babe-Ruth-1933-Goudey-%2353-%28PSA-8%29-----%E2%80%9COnly-2-Examples-Graded-Higher%E2%80%9D!

Runscott
12-25-2011, 03:05 PM
The seller of this card said to take it up with "Memory Lanes"

daves_resale_shop
12-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Most definitely not an 8...

Smells fishy to me.

zljones
12-25-2011, 06:06 PM
I would rather not post it up for anyone to see, but if you have worked much with plastic, there is a simple way to remove the frosting.

you just answered my question. That is scary as hell that they can get that clever.

zljones
12-25-2011, 06:09 PM
How can you tell that the edges are NOT frosted (especially with the near white background the seller uses for the photos)?

I can't see any frosting and I can't tell if there is none either, the photo sucks, but I was mainly seeing if there is a process of sliding one in without frosting or reversing it.

CW
12-25-2011, 08:20 PM
I can't see any frosting and I can't tell if there is none either, the photo sucks, but I was mainly seeing if there is a process of sliding one in without frosting or reversing it.

Cool, no problem -- it is tough to tell with that photo. I guess regardless, and as others have pointed out, the card looks like crap as well.

thenextlevel
12-25-2011, 08:43 PM

I don't know if this is what they do, but I found that as soon as I received my submissions back from PSA, if I didn't like a grade, I popped the card out immediately, and hardly ever frosted a case. I wonder if it is because whatever they use to seal the case, hasn't cured yet. Just my observations regarding their cases.

zljones
12-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Very interesting, now I am going to have to pay even closer attention to the graded cards I buy, so far I have only been ripped off once and it was an ungraded card, but I do not want to be ripped off anymore. Luckily I only got taken for $25.

Guttapercha
02-20-2012, 05:03 AM
I am new to the board, but have collected cards when I was young. For the record the 1933 goudey ruth #53 PSA 8 on ebay was real. I purchased the card from memory lane and have no problem having them take a look at it as a third party in the case of the sale of it. Yes I bought 2 replicas. That was for me to put in a little frame on my desk as a memory of the card. I have many other high end cards which I have never sold. I hope to enjoy this message board in the future. I have recently gotten back into collecting cards and hope to be able to view your cards , thoughts, and share my cards with you all.