PDA

View Full Version : Question How long to pay for ebay item

Bigb13
12-19-2011, 08:17 AM
I was away and an item ended on the 14th and I just got in late last night so this morning when I went online I see a seller made an unpaid item complaint against me is this normal? Rob

kneerat
12-19-2011, 08:21 AM
I would say "yes." Some people can be a little eager on eBay. Just make the payment today and all will be well.:o

mantleman
12-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Personally,
From a courtesy point of view...5 days is pushing it unless prior arrangements/notifications have been made.

If no contact has been made by the buyer, people tend to get a little jumpy and with the way EBAY has been lately (non paying bidders, etc) I am not surprised or can't blame the seller for doing so.

Andy

Leon
12-19-2011, 08:29 AM
I would say "yes." Some people can be a little eager on eBay. Just make the payment today and all will be well.:o

Wow, I don't sell much on ebay but 3 business days to file a NPB claim seems like a short time, but what do I know? I guess I am patient which has not usually been one of my virtues.

Bigb13
12-19-2011, 08:31 AM
Yes but I have 100% and have been on since Jan 1999 so if I do not get the card in 5 days then I should leave a neg right? Rob

Leon
12-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Yes but I have 100% and have been on since Jan 1999 so if I do not get the card in 5 days then I should leave a neg right? Rob

I wouldn't personally leave a neg but I would say something in my response akin to

"Impatient seller, filed NPB after 3 business days. Happy Holidays to you too!!"

Bigb13
12-19-2011, 08:37 AM
I like that. You know I don't know why people don't give you a chance. Rob

rdixon1208
12-19-2011, 09:01 AM
You can pay for ebay purchases any day, not just business days.

Leon
12-19-2011, 09:17 AM
You can pay for ebay purchases any day, not just business days.

Some people probably do family things on the weekend and don't deal with ebay and the like on Sat and Sun.....Of course anyone can pay anytime. I have over 1700 feed back and the large majority is buying. I am sure I have paid at almost every hour of every day, at some time in the past. I was being conservative. :)

kcohen
12-19-2011, 09:20 AM
I think that Ebay's policy is that a seller is able to file a NPB claim from starting from 4 days after the conclusion of the auction.

alanu
12-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Here's ebay's policy, then I think the buyer has 7 days to pay after the unpaid item claim is made.

"When a buyer wins an item or uses Buy It Now to purchase an item, they're obligated to complete the purchase by sending full payment to the seller.

If a buyer doesn't pay within 4 days, sellers can open an unpaid item case in the Resolution Center. If the buyer still doesn't pay or reach some other agreement with the seller, eBay may record the unpaid item on the buyer's account.

When an unpaid item case closes without payment from the buyer, sellers are eligible to receive a final value fee credit to their eBay seller account. Also, if they relist the item and it sells the second time, eBay may refund the insertion fee for the relisting. Learn more about how the free relist policy works.

Excessive unpaid items on a buyer's account may result in range of actions, including limits or loss of buying privileges."

sportscardpete
12-19-2011, 09:28 AM
I always thought it was normal to pay within 24 hours. It's just more convenient for both parties. Seller gets the money quicker, buyer gets the item quicker.

botn
12-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Once an unpaid item case has been opened the buyer has 4 days in which to make payment. If during that time payment is not made, a strike will be given. eBay shortened the waiting time which is about the only thing they have given sellers over the last two years in which they have stripped away everything else.

My auctions are set to open an unpaid item case after 4 days. The auctions all clearly state that but I also offer more time if I am contacted prior to the close of the auction. Since I now only accept paypal I figure it takes a few seconds to click the button. The auctions are up for 5 to 7 days add on another 4 days (8 actually if you include the time allowed after the unpaid case is opened) which should be more than enough time to budget for the purchase.

Sellers are required to ship within 3 days of payment being received so why is it so unreasonable to expect a buyer to pay within 8? Even if sellers do ship within 3 days they are still subject to negative feedback or, worse, low DSRs if the buyer is unreasonable or unhappy with transit time.

vintagetoppsguy
12-19-2011, 10:49 AM
I always thought it was normal to pay within 24 hours. It's just more convenient for both parties. Seller gets the money quicker, buyer gets the item quicker.

It's not always that easy. I went into the hospital early last week for an emergency appendectomy and was there for several days. I was discharged Saturday afternoon and now I'm at home this week resting and recuperating. In the meantime, an eBay seller filed a NPB on me while I was in the hospital because I had not paid for a card (which was no fault of my own). You can bet he'll get a negative from me once I get the card.

egbeachley
12-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Some people probably do family things on the weekend and don't deal with ebay and the like on Sat and Sun.....Of course anyone can pay anytime. I have over 1700 feed back and the large majority is buying. I am sure I have paid at almost every hour of every day, at some time in the past. I was being conservative. :)

For me it's sometimes the opposite. Since I can't access my regular email from work (but can access Net54baseball :-) ) and get home late, I may not pay until Saturday for an auction I sniped during the week.

dog*dirt
12-19-2011, 11:29 AM
As stated earlier, some sellers will automatically file a nonpayment claim after a certain amount of days. When I sell an item I will send a message after 7 days if there is no payment or communication from the buyer.

The key to me is communication. I have had a number of times that buyers have not been able to pay right away but as long as they keep in contact with me I have no problem waiting.

As a buyer I recently had my main check card that is linked to my paypal stolen and had to contact a few sellers to ask for a few days until I was issued a new card. I feel that most sellers are reasonable as long there is communication.

Andrew

t206hound
12-19-2011, 11:52 AM
First off, I'll identify myself as the seller. I have a PM into Rob regarding some items that only concern the two of us, but my two cents on the topic:

Like many other sellers, I utilize the unpaid item assistant. I prefer not to have to manually keep track of how much time has elapsed and find the service convenient. There are only a few options that can be selected related to the duration of time to wait before opening a case using the assistant. They are 4, 8, 16, 24 and 32 (calender) days. Only eBay could tell you why it's this way... I'd prefer to be able to set it to 5 or 6. Note, however, that there is a setting in the assistant that allows you to override this for a list of users. So, if I get an email/message from a buyer who asks for extra time, I can handle that separately.

Anyway, from what I've read and experienced, there is absolutely no negative aspect to your buyer account if you have a unpaid item case opened against you. Your account is only "dinged" if you don't pay within four days after the case is opened. Essentially, every buyer can wait at least eight days to pay without penalty. In my experience most buyers pay within 48 hours of auction close, and of those where an unpaid item case is opened generally pay within 24 hours after that.

As a seller I like to get items shipped closely to auction end as possible, especially this time of year. Some may be waiting for items to be given as gifts, but I also don't want to have to carry my inventory with me as I travel for the holidays. Regardless when the buyer pays, eBay policy states that I have to ship within three (calendar) days.

As Andrew pointed out earlier, communication is the key.

-erick

barrysloate
12-19-2011, 11:56 AM
David- hope you are feeling better. I've had two stays in the hospital this year, and it sucks.

As to the original question, five days wouldn't be very long to pay an auction house, but on ebay that's kind of a long time, since the majority of people paypal within the first few hours. While the seller was impatient and shouldn't have hit you with a nonpayment, I think you had an obligation to check and see if you won, and then emailed to let him know that it might take a little longer for you to pay. Both sides didn't handle this perfectly.

Mikehealer
12-19-2011, 12:11 PM
It's not always that easy. I went into the hospital early last week for an emergency appendectomy and was there for several days. I was discharged Saturday afternoon and now I'm at home this week resting and recuperating. In the meantime, an eBay seller filed a NPB on me while I was in the hospital because I had not paid for a card (which was no fault of my own). You can bet he'll get a negative from me once I get the card.

I'm not sure how the seller was supposed to know how you were in the hospital, unless you let him know. I don't know how this merits a negative feedback if the transaction is completed successfully, but then again I've never left a negative.

tiger8mush
12-19-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm not sure how the seller was supposed to know how you were in the hospital, unless you let him know. I don't know how this merits a negative feedback if the transaction is completed successfully, but then again I've never left a negative.

exactly what i was about to type!

p.s. David, sorry to hear about the emergency and hope all is well w/you!!

Bigb13
12-19-2011, 12:30 PM
I guess this guy was not around in the days of sending checks and mo for items now everybody thinks they should get paid right away. Back in those days things took time. Rob

kmac32
12-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Personally, I pay for purchases a few minutes after auction ends. Why create the drama for a seller? Also, sellers seem to ship faster if you pay fast. More than a day to pay is rediculous!!! But that's me. Don't bid on an item if you can't afford to pay for it immediately. Cards are a luxury, not a necessity.

Kmac

t206hound
12-19-2011, 12:53 PM
I guess this guy was not around in the days of sending checks and mo for items now everybody thinks they should get paid right away. Back in those days things took time. Rob

I've been on eBay since '97. I've sold nearly 800 T206s on eBay and the BST this year. I've waited for money orders. I've held cards for guys for multiple weeks until they had funds to purchase. I've sent cards to guys BEFORE they've sent me payment. Ask around...

You've made your payment today; I'll send the card in the morning.

-erick

Bigb13
12-19-2011, 12:57 PM
You know Ken nobody ever said it was a point of not having the money so why don't you go back and read it again. And thats real nice of you to pay right away way to go for you. Who the hell are you to assume that I could not pay for the item? Rob

D. Bergin
12-19-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm pretty patient both ways.

The less you stress the easier life is. I've held stuff for guys for weeks sometimes. Eventually just about everybody pays. I've had perhaps one or two non-payers in the last year.

I usually send a second invoice after about 7-10 days, followed by a non-paying notice a few days after that, which usually does the trick and gets you paid.

I don't have any automatic settings (that I know of). I'd rather keep that sort of communication out of Ebays unforgiving hands.

Bigb13
12-19-2011, 01:04 PM
It is smart to keep it out of Ebays hands see what happens? Rob

D. Bergin
12-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Just remember though, a NPB notice has zero effect on a buyer unless enough time has elapsed for it to be closed out.

Leon
12-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Personally I think the buyer and seller should just drop it. The seller said it was an automated response and I think the buyer should just leave it at that. No doubt the card will be shipped and received. There has been no harm done. That's just me though...the older I get the more lenient I get....

jcmtiger
12-19-2011, 01:12 PM
If I win something on ebay, I pay right away. In my selling auctions I state payment within 7 days. If someone can't pay in that time period they usually send me an email. If I don't get any notification at the 7 day point I send them a note as follows:

"I would like to close out this auction, I have not received payment"

Like anything, communication usually helps and problems are averted.

Joe

kmac32
12-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Rob, the comment was a general statement not necessarily referring to you. I have no idea what your financial condition is nor do I care!!! There are quite a few people in the world who do live hand to mouth so it was more directed at the I want it now and will pay for it later types. Don't be so sensitive!!!

Bigb13
12-19-2011, 01:24 PM
At least you give 7 days. Rob

slidekellyslide
12-19-2011, 02:08 PM

The only way you should leave him a negative is if you informed him that you were in the hospital and would pay when you got out and he still filed the NPB...if you're going to leave a negative for the seller even though he wasn't informed then I'd like your ebay ID so I can make sure to block you.

zljones
12-19-2011, 02:42 PM
When I have sold on ebay, I always indicate in the listing that I expect payment or at least communication 5 days after the auction ends. I then do not bother my buyers until the 4th day then I leave a very polite courtesy reminder that payment is due the following day. Then on the 5th day I leave another message saying I need payment but very politely. Then on the 6th day (I have never gone further than that) I leave a message in the morning a little firmer, then later that night I give second chance offer to the lower bidder. If they pay on the 6th day right before I offer it to someone else, in the feedback I mark it positive but I say nothing about speedy payment, I simply say "paid" or "ok."

If I buy an item, I inform the seller in advance before I hit that "make a offer" "buy it now" button or bid if I can't pay within 3 days then I tell them how much time I need. If I do not pay 1 or two days after the auction ends and as long as it ends on a friday or saturday I just wait til I have the money within 2-3 days later, since they can't ship anyway, but I will always answer questions.

botn
12-19-2011, 03:38 PM
The only way you should leave him a negative is if you informed him that you were in the hospital and would pay when you got out and he still filed the NPB...if you're going to leave a negative for the seller even though he wasn't informed then I'd like your ebay ID so I can make sure to block you.
Dan,

He is vintagetoppsguy on ebay. I blocked him this AM. Sorry for his health issues but to expect a seller to know via ESP of his situation is pathetic. Hard enough being a seller on eBay. I like to be proactive in avoiding problems on ebay.

Greg

ChiefBenderForever
12-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Net54 cagematch at the National this summer ??

howard38
12-19-2011, 04:29 PM
/

botn
12-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Net54 cagematch at the National this summer ??

And to think I was not planning on attending.

vintagetoppsguy
12-19-2011, 08:11 PM

Dan/Greg,

As Andrew said a couple of posts after mine, it's all about communication. The seller chose not to communicate with me and I couldn't communicate with him. There's a difference.

The seller could have attempted communication although I couldn't have responded anyway. At that point, he would have had the right to file the NPB. I would have just chalked it up as a misunderstanding. However, he didn't try to initiate communication, instead he filed an NPB as soon as he could. Sorry if the two of you just don't get that.

Oh, and one more thing guys. From the seller's own auction: "Payment is through PayPal only and due within 24 hours of the auction's end." You want to rip me for leaving a negative for this seller, let's hear you defend the seller's payment expectations.

sycks22
12-19-2011, 09:45 PM
To be honest I put "payment due within 24 hours after completion of auction". It's not crazy to ask people to pay for their winnings in a timely manner. If you don't put anything about a payment timeline people will pay 2 weeks down the road. If you light a fire under people they'll pay quick and since putting that on my listings everyone has paid within 24 hours.

marcdelpercio
12-19-2011, 09:52 PM
I believe that a NPB notice IS a form of communication. As has been noted, there is no negative strike against a bidder when this is filed and the bidder does have an additional four days to complete payment. The bidder receives a notice stating that payment has not been received and encouraging that payment to be completed or further communication to be initiated with the seller.

I generally wait 5-7 days before filing one (unless there has been prior communication as to a legitimate delay) and, honestly, I feel that this is being more than patient. If a person is actively bidding on online auctions, there should be VERY few legitimate circumstances in which they truly can't complete a Paypal payment within 8-10 days. I have purchased hundreds of items on eBay and never once have taken more than 1-2 days to complete a payment. I mean, it takes literally 30 seconds.

Obviously there will be the rare situation, like a hospitalization, where this genuinely is the case...but in all fairness, this would account for a tiny fraction of these scenarios so it would seem extremely unreasonable to expect a seller to anticipate this or to hold it against them when they file a NPB as a normal course of business.

Semitar6
12-19-2011, 10:01 PM
I believe the standard time for payment on Ebay is usually three days. As a former seller on Ebay, I would send a "payment reminder" before issuing a complaint as that usually pisses people off and sometimes rightly so. But only after the third day had passed.

3-2-count
12-19-2011, 10:01 PM
I believe that a NPB notice IS a form of communication. As has been noted, there is no negative strike against a bidder when this is filed and the bidder does have an additional four days to complete payment. The bidder receives a notice stating that payment has not been received and encouraging that payment to be completed or further communication to be initiated with the seller.

Exactly, which is why in my opinion a negative should not be left by the buyer. No harm was made by the seller by sending this notice.

thescooper
12-19-2011, 10:03 PM
I took some psa cards wrapped ready to go to the post office one sunday to get a quote on shipping. E-bay had sent an invoice for $25 shipping as the buyer bought 5 lots. I didn't know what it was going to cost the buyer and as I hate overcharging on postage I could not be fairer than this.
It was quoted at $8.62 so with the exchange rate and the bubble mailer I thought 9 bucks would be fair. To save another trip to the post office I mailed it then and there, the buyer had 100% feedback so I wasn't worried.
I came home resent the invoice with $9 shipping. Monday I get an e-mail requesting a shipping quote. I resend the invoice with $9 shipping.
It gets to Thursday and not paypal payment, I sent a very polite e-mail asking if he got my invoice? 1 hour later he pays me,the next day the cards drop through his mailbox. He is over the moon and leaves me glowing feedback 5 times.
So I waited a few days and we were both happy. I usually state on my auctions that could the buyer please pay within 7 days of invoice, most people have been pretty good.

rhettyeakley
12-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Dan/Greg,

As Andrew said a couple of posts after mine, it's all about communication. The seller chose not to communicate with me and I couldn't communicate with him. There's a difference.

The seller could have attempted communication although I couldn't have responded anyway. At that point, he would have had the right to file the NPB. I would have just chalked it up as a misunderstanding. However, he didn't try to initiate communication, instead he filed an NPB as soon as he could. Sorry if the two of you just don't get that.

Oh, and one more thing guys. From the seller's own auction: "Payment is through PayPal only and due within 24 hours of the auction's end." You want to rip me for leaving a negative for this seller, let's hear you defend the seller's payment expectations.

Sorry, you are absolutely wrong on this. Filing the NPB IS A FORM OF CONTACTING YOU! It isn't an immediate strike against you as you still have time to pay for the item, and if you pay POOF! the NPB that was opened gets closed and there is no more record of it. Just pay the man the money you owe him (which is what you agreed to do when you bid) and move on with your life. I'm sorry you had the medical problems but being a d-bag to a seller that did absolutely NOTHING wrong is just plain mean! Those of you that haven't sold on ebay much do not understand how slanted everything is towards the buyers, it's absolutely comical! For example, how a buyer can leave a low DSR on "shipping costs" which is spelled out directly in the listing is crazy! The sellers that leave a "false positive" feedback only to ding you on the DSR's (and potentially cost the seller a few hundred bucks a month by not qualifying for the 20% discount in fees) are the most annoying people on the planet... they are like the "friends" that are nice to your face but say crap behind your back. Ebay is madness and this situation with David may be one of the single worst examples of "Buyer Bullying" I have heard about. Grow up...move on...and funnel the energy to a cause that is worthwhile.

I sell quite a bit on ebay and I am very patient with buyers. I usually do not initiate a NPB notice until the 10th day that the item has not been paid for at the earliest, I personally would not have initiated that on the 4th or 5th day but that is up the the seller as they are totally within their rights to do so. I do not do ebay to make a living, I do it merely as a well paying hobby that allows me to free up money to buy things I like better than what I already have (and I don't have to clear it with the Mrs.:D ). That fact probably allows me to be more flexible than most as I'm not running a business based on turn-over or cash flow.

Happy Holidays to all
-Rhett

tiger8mush
12-20-2011, 05:47 AM

David, (i ask this nicely) if you don't like the sellers payment terms, then why bid in his auction? And he waited till the 4th day before filing a NPB claim even though he states 1 day in his payment terms, so it seems he was being pretty lenient :)

Texxxx
12-20-2011, 06:28 AM
When you bid on an item you are agreeing to the sellers terms. If you dont like them DON'T BID.

dog*dirt
12-20-2011, 06:59 AM
Just so I can clarify, when I referred to communication being the key, I was talking about the buyer communicating with the seller if he can not make the payment within the time that was requested.

Andrew

ChiefBenderForever
12-20-2011, 07:25 AM
I don't agree that npb is a form of communication, or if it is it is a threat like a bill collector and that is how it comes accross. I forgot to pay for an $8 dollar item seller filed npb so I paid immediately, for the next three months I got emails every few days asking me to please pay for my item so it can have a negative impact. When selling I wait atleast 5 days to a week and then send an email asking buyer if they still want the item, then depending on the amount of item wait another few days to a week and ask again. If no response let them know if I don't hear from them will need to file npd so I don't get stuck with the fees. I have waited two months to get paid, sometimes longer. 90% pay fairly quickly and 9% end up paying sometime and 1% never hear from again. I understand the frustration on both sides but everyone is different. As long as no fraud or theft is taking place it shouldn't be the end of the world.

sportscardpete
12-20-2011, 07:28 AM
Just so I can clarify, when I referred to communication being the key, I was talking about the buyer communicating with the seller if he can not make the payment within the time that was requested.

Andrew

100% agree with you Andrew.

BTW, what happened to Christmas (holiday) spirit!

As far as I'm concerned, if a seller doesn't here from a buyer, they should file a NPB. It's just to protect their tail. For every person that has a legit reason not to pay, there is an actualy person out there purposely ruining business.

Again, people have unexpected emergencies (appendix, ouch!), and in that instance something should be worked out when the person is healthy enough to communicate with the seller. If that happened to me, the last thing on my mind is making a paypal payment for a card. I'm worrying about more important stuff!

Hope everyone gets everything resolved.

vintagetoppsguy
12-20-2011, 08:06 AM
Sorry, you are absolutely wrong on this. Filing the NPB IS A FORM OF CONTACTING YOU!

Sorry, but the NPB is no more a form of communication than an INR. In other words, I wouldn't just file an INR w/o contacting the seller first. Likewise, the seller souldn't file a NPB w/o contacting the buyer first. Communication is for BOTH parties. But if you still think that way then that is your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it.

Rob, to answer your question, I didn't say that I didn't like the seller's terms, I'm just saying they're unreasonable although I would have complied had I been able.

botn
12-20-2011, 08:51 AM
If seller's were permitted to leave negatives or even neutrals I suspect that David might not be resorting to this extreme a reaction.

The Unpaid Item Case being opened on the 4th day after the close of the auction is an option eBay affords sellers and it is done as a reminder without any impact to a buyer's standing on eBay. Nobody likes to be reminded they owe money but what other options are there? The notices are sent as a convenience to the seller. Unless a buyer has a massive want list (and budget) I suspect sellers are offering far more items in a month than most buyers acquire in a month. I think it is unreasonable to expect a seller to also take the time to send out notices to buyers to remind them payment is due. I have but sometimes I forget which is why the automated notification by eBay is helpful. A seller has communicated to a buyer by virtue of their terms in the auction listing. If a buyer does not read that whose fault is that?

Mikehealer
12-20-2011, 08:58 AM
How is paying for something that you agreed to buy within 24 hours unreasonable?

ChiefBenderForever
12-20-2011, 09:27 AM
How is paying for something that you agreed to buy within 24 hours unreasonable?

Pretty easy with no money in Paypal !!!

Bigb13
12-20-2011, 10:28 AM
I don't see anywhere on the auction I won that said it had to be paid in 24hrs or 3 days or 7 days nothing at all so the balls to file a npb on me. Rob PS I am still thinking of leaving a neg on this guy so everyone knows what happened and they have a right to know

ChiefBenderForever
12-20-2011, 10:34 AM
I don't see anywhere on the auction I won that said it had to be paid in 24hrs or 3 days or 7 days nothing at all so the balls to file a npb on me. Rob PS I am still thinking of leaving a neg on this guy so everyone knows what happened and they have a right to know

It's not fair to leave him a neg and now you are getting a little unreasonable, I understand why you are upset but it goes both ways.

Section103
12-20-2011, 10:36 AM
I love it when people ask for opinions and discard responses not in line with what they want to hear. :rolleyes:

Leon
12-20-2011, 10:36 AM

Can anyone post a linky to the auction. I would like to see it.

Bigb13
12-20-2011, 10:37 AM
He did not state ANYWHERE when he wanted payment by and I do not live on the computer like some of you guys do it was over a weekend and some of us have a life other than Ebay. Rob PS tomorrow is the third day boy I hope it comes in the three days

Bigb13
12-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Here's the link Leon http://www.ebay.com/itm/180771240312?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1256wt_1185

bh3443
12-20-2011, 10:45 AM
If I buy something, I generally pay instantly.
However, it depends on your relationship with the seller. A good friend of ours and fellow board member has a 30 day deal with me. I've only asked for terms once, and I'll pay way before the 30 days even comes close.
When selling, I expect payment within 4 days. However, I have made exceptions because in general I'm just that kind of guy (push-over,lol).
I have come across an ebay feature where I hit the buy it now button and a window popped up saying the seller wants immediate payment. I was $30 short, and needed to transfer a few $$ to my pay pal hook up. Of course I was too late and missed a nice PSA Aaron Rookie for a few hundred bucks.
Communicating by message to the buyer is key in securing a smooth transaction and long term business.
As you know, I talk too much, so I probably aggravate everyone of ebay and here with my too many messages and run on replies!
But, I love you all and mean no harm... it's a long day and night here!
Happy Holidays,
Bill Hedin

tiger8mush
12-20-2011, 10:52 AM
He did not state ANYWHERE when he wanted payment by and I do not live on the computer like some of you guys do it was over a weekend and some of us have a life other than Ebay. Rob PS tomorrow is the third day boy I hope it comes in the three days

So the ebay auction ended, the seller hears NOTHING from you (the buyer) for 4 days and on the 4th day requests you to pay for the item within the next 4 days, you finally pay a day or two later, he'll send you your card, and then u'll leave him negative feedback? Did I get that right? :confused:

kmac32
12-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Looks like the auction was sniped at the end and seller heard nothing for 4 days. Unless there was a snipe program used at the end, something wasn't right. Can see why a NPB notice was filed. Then threatening to leave negative feedback because he got the notice. That's pretty ballsy. Would sure like to know buyers eBay name so I can block him from any eBay auction I might have. Fortunately I rarely sell on eBay.

chaddurbin
12-20-2011, 11:14 AM
So the ebay auction ended, the seller hears NOTHING from you (the buyer) for 4 days and on the 4th day requests you to pay for the item within the next 4 days, you finally pay a day or two later, he'll send you your card, and then u'll leave him negative feedback? Did I get that right? :confused:

also how dare he having an accurate description and providing a nice big scan of the card

p.s. if you can afford to collect vintage cards then just shell out an extra $10/month and get a data plan for your phone. no one should be w/o the internet for more than 8 hours.

slidekellyslide
12-20-2011, 11:24 AM

This seller has 100% feedback and is rated as a top rated seller which means he gets a discount on his selling fees and you want to wreck that because he filed a NPB alert after 4 days of non-payment because he didn't state that in his auction? Even if not stated it is ebay's rules that a buyer should pay in 4 days or is subject to a NPB alert being filed where they will have another 4 days to pay..you get 8 days to pay.

Just so you know because you are obviously not a seller on ebay that your action could cost him hundreds of dollars...I don't know the seller, but a few hundred dollars to me is not chump change...it's a couple weeks worth of groceries for my family.

This is the result of ebay's war against sellers...whiny crybaby buyers who will leave negatives and low DSRs out of spite..it is the reason that ebay is suffering and sellers are leaving in droves.

Leon
12-20-2011, 11:29 AM
After going back in the auction I think I missed it and can't seem to find this claim . Can someone point that out to me, I am sure I am just not seeing it?

From the seller's own auction: "Payment is through PayPal only and due within 24 hours of the auction's end."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180771240312...ht_1256wt_1185

slidekellyslide
12-20-2011, 11:31 AM
Leon, you're mixing up the two spiteful buyers. That 24 hour payment stipulation I believe was on the auction David James won...the other spiteful buyer BigB won an auction that had no stated time to pay.

Leon
12-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Leon, you're mixing up the two spiteful buyers. That 24 hour payment stipulation I believe was on the auction David James won...the other spiteful buyer BigB won an auction that had no stated time to pay.

Darn it...you are correct. I sort of didn't realize we were talking about multiple auctions. I just got through running so maybe the lack of oxygen is affecting my brain housing group. :confused:

slidekellyslide
12-20-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm just guessing because of the timing and the fact this seller has a 24 hour payment stipulation that this is the auction that David James is threatening to leave a negative for...another 100% seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320807373598#ht_720wt_932

Bigb13
12-20-2011, 12:34 PM
For all you people that think they right listen I did snipe the item like I do almost all of my items. I did not check my email because I was not online at all for 4 days is this unusual for someone not to touch their computer for 4 days? Weird if all you have to do is play online. And no I do not sell on Ebay only buy. But I think a winning email notice is not to much to ask from a seller not that he ever sent anything at all. Monday when I go online to check Ebay I saw the winner and also the NPB email before I had a chance to pay that's why I am pissed so next time he will give someone else a chance to pay. And you guys that don't want me to bid on your auctions what a shame I have 100% positive feedback and that is mostly old cards so keep your cards nif you are in a rush. Slow down and enjoy life and hell get out of the house into the fresh air. And Chad who the hell are you to say what I can afford and can not afford. Rob

pgellis
12-20-2011, 12:49 PM
For all you people that think they right listen I did snipe the item like I do almost all of my items. I did not check my email because I was not online at all for 4 days is this unusual for someone not to touch their computer for 4 days? Weird if all you have to do is play online. And no I do not sell on Ebay only buy. But I think a winning email notice is not to much to ask from a seller not that he ever sent anything at all. Monday when I go online to check Ebay I saw the winner and also the NPB email before I had a chance to pay that's why I am pissed so next time he will give someone else a chance to pay. And you guys that don't want me to bid on your auctions what a shame I have 100% positive feedback and that is mostly old cards so keep your cards nif you are in a rush. Slow down and enjoy life and hell get out of the house into the fresh air. And Chad who the hell are you to say what I can afford and can not afford. Rob

That's funny, you posted here on the B/S/T on Friday night, Dec. 16 at 7:28pm. You spent some time on the computer and asked the following:

"Any 1951 Topps current all stars? Rob"

"Not online at all for 4 days" :confused:

slidekellyslide
12-20-2011, 12:53 PM

Tell me your ebay ID and I'll be more than happy to block you. And it's not hard to have 100% positive feedback as a buyer since you can't receive negatives at all. I think it's weird that someone sets snipes on ebay and then doesn't even check online for four days to see if they won...and I don't know about you, but I automatically get notifications in my email from ebay and from my sniping service if I win an item so I'm calling bull on your no notifications...and even if by chance you didn't get any notifications that you won how would you even know? You're not like the rest of us losers who spend our lives online.

Bigb13
12-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Boy Dan you must have no life at all, all you do is sell on Ebay must be a great life to know every rule on Ebay. I go on for fun not to read up on how they run there site and how long to pay for an item and as a buyer I never had to worry about things like this but block me keep your crap. Rob

slidekellyslide
12-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Boy Dan you must have no life at all, all you do is sell on Ebay must be a great life to know every rule on Ebay. I go on for fun not to read up on how they run there site and how long to pay for an item and as a buyer I never had to worry about things like this but block me keep your crap. Rob

You should spend more time online learning punctuation and grammar. Anyway no worries another fine Net54 member already gave me your ebay ID and you are now blocked.

By the way, are you going to address your obvious lie that you were not online for 4 days?

Bigb13
12-20-2011, 01:07 PM
I was not online better go back and check the date on that post. I have not asked for those cards in a long time. And you want to meet me and talk and my punctuation you got a big month behind a keyboard alright?

slidekellyslide
12-20-2011, 01:12 PM
You posted on the 16th in the following thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=144725

I'll just pretend that you didn't make a threat towards me and forget about it...but it's not nice to threaten fellow Net54 members.

Bigb13
12-20-2011, 01:18 PM
My Son goes on here to, and that does not mean either one of us checked email or had that much time online. I have had someone in my family pass and I have to explain myself to you I don't think so and take it whatever way you want. And BTW he has until tomorrow to get me the card. Rob PS tell me who gave you my id so I will not buy from them anymore

slidekellyslide
12-20-2011, 01:27 PM
My Son goes on here to, and that does not mean either one of us checked email or had that much time online. I have had someone in my family pass and I have to explain myself to you I don't think so and take it whatever way you want. And BTW he has until tomorrow to get me the card. Rob PS tell me who gave you my id so I will not buy from them anymore

You don't have to worry about that, you're on their blocked list too. :D

barrysloate
12-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Come on guys. let's keep it civil.

Bigb13- my feeling is both you and the seller made some mistakes. I think he jumped the gun after five days to hit you with a nonpayment, he should have simply emailed you and sent a reminder. I've sold a lot on ebay and I've sent friendly reminders many times. No big deal. However, if you are placing bids on ebay you do have a responsibility to check after the auction to see if you've won. Waiting for 4-5 days isn't cool. If you know you are going to be out of town you need to find a way to check. Saying you have a life and better things to do than hang out on the computer doesn't cut it. Everybody has things to do. Both buyer and seller have a responsibilty and each of you could have handled it better.

And certainly no need for a negative here. I've bought and sold on ebay for many years. I have never given a negative nor received one. I try to bring a better attitude to the table. It's not hard.

Bigb13
12-20-2011, 01:33 PM
I agree with you Barry I have purchased from many members on this board and yes Dan from you also but I just got pissed maybe partly my fault maybe one day we will put telephone numbers with our id's so we can get reminders.

Bigb13
12-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Boy Dan I am worried that I can not bid on your auction's oh my God what will I do.

slidekellyslide
12-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Boy Dan I am worried that I can not bid on your auction's oh my God what will I do.

I really don't care what you think...I've eliminated another nightmare buyer.

Bigb13
12-20-2011, 01:55 PM
And I will not have to deal with an a$$ of a seller like you.

barrysloate
12-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Doesn't Bigb13 have to put his full name out?

sportscardpete
12-20-2011, 02:02 PM
At least this thread didn't turn into a train wreck.

In all seriousness, I don't see how someone stays away from their computer for four days in this modern era. Especially if they have a bid in placed on a card.

pgellis
12-20-2011, 02:06 PM
And I will not have to deal with an a$$ of a seller like you.

Is this you or your son typing.........because you certainly are acting like a child now.

Leon
12-20-2011, 02:08 PM

Yes, but I will help, per the rules. He is R@bert B@lke.

And another rule worth mentioning is that everyone on the BST has to be at least 18 yrs of age or I need an email from their parent or guardian stating they take financial responsibility for their child. I have a few emails from a few folks that have children on there. It's never been an issue but the rule is there for obvious reasons.

slidekellyslide
12-20-2011, 02:08 PM

His first name is Rob, he's been around Net54 since the old days I don't think it's that important that he put his full name in this thread. He's only insulting me and that's fine. :p

Bigb13
12-20-2011, 02:12 PM
I will not waste any more of my time on this and Barry I don't know what you mean put my name on it. I have no problem putting my name on anything but no one asked for it. Thanks Leon for helping out with that just in case I forgot what it was.

barrysloate
12-20-2011, 02:19 PM
It's just board rules Robert. Anyone can post anonymously if he is merely discussing baseball cards. But you can't do so under certain circumstances, and threatening one of the moderators should qualify.

Bigb13
12-20-2011, 02:21 PM
They should check my feedback before they block me this has never happened before.

kmac32
12-20-2011, 02:28 PM
I will not waste any more of my time on this and Barry I don't know what you mean put my name on it. I have no problem putting my name on anything but no one asked for it. Thanks Leon for helping out with that just in case I forgot what it was.

Wow, that is a really deep hole. Sounds like this thread needs to be locked before we see fists. LOL

barrysloate
12-20-2011, 02:28 PM
It's not a feedback issue. You came on the board with a dilemma, asked for some opinions, and didn't like what you heard so you got a little aggressive. Sometimes the court of public opinion goes against you and you just have to accept it a little more graciously.

Bigb13
12-20-2011, 02:44 PM
I guess so Barry, I did not think over the weekend was such a big deal.

barrysloate
12-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Fair enough Robert, how about we all move on?

Bigb13
12-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Sounds good with me Barry

Bigb13
02-14-2012, 09:38 AM
BTW he did get positive feedback but left me nothing. Rob

bosoxfan
02-14-2012, 12:17 PM
I have read this thread today for the first time and I'd like to take it in a different direction. I do sell cards on ebay, but for the most part I'm a buyer. I've never received or left a neg/neutral.

I usually wait till the auction is about to end before I bid, so I'm on ebay when it's over and I'll pay immediately. On the other occasions when I'm not on, Ill pay the next day when I get home from work.

A few sellers will then leave me feedback before they ship.

When I got that newly purchased card in the mail I would leave feedback the day the card came. Only then most sellers would leave me feedback. This was going on for the last two plus years.

Well I started selling cards starting this past Oct. Once the person paid me I'd shipped the card off the next day and left postive feedback for the buyer.

I didn't wait for them to leave me feedback. Most paid very quickly, so what more could I ask of them?

So I decided, as a buyer, I am no longer leaving positive feedback for sellers until they leave me feedback.
I have a pretty good idea why they don't, I'm still not doing it. It's just the principal of it.

any thoughts?

Jaybird
02-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Feedback system is BS anyway, so it hardly matters. It's not the real world and you can't trust the system. It is purely a leverage tool for buyers to extort sellers. I rarely sell but have a few things up a couple times a year. Mostly a buyer. I used to leave feedback all the time. Then I realized that it doesn't really matter.

insidethewrapper
02-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Buy It Now means Buy It NOW !. If I BIN on ebay I pay immediately. If I sell on ebay you must pay me immediately for all BIN items. There is an option for all sellers to get payment immediately. For auction items, if I'm not paid in 4 days it automatically opens a case against the buyer. He is contacts me, I remove it. Opened cases have no negative impact on the buyer. But it does if he doesn't pay after another 4 days.

steve B
02-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Buy It Now means Buy It NOW !. If I BIN on ebay I pay immediately. If I sell on ebay you must pay me immediately for all BIN items. There is an option for all sellers to get payment immediately. For auction items, if I'm not paid in 4 days it automatically opens a case against the buyer. He is contacts me, I remove it. Opened cases have no negative impact on the buyer. But it does if he doesn't pay after another 4 days.

You might be missing some sales, probably balanced by avoiding some non or slow payers.

Often when I use BIN for something I'll look at the sellers other BIN items or auctions closing within a day. And pretty often I'll buy a couple items or more if they combine shipping.
The couple times I've run across immediate payment I've simply paid and moved on.

Steve B

egbeachley
02-14-2012, 03:07 PM
So I decided, as a buyer, I am no longer leaving positive feedback for sellers until they leave me feedback.
I have a pretty good idea why they don't, I'm still not doing it. It's just the principal of it.

any thoughts?

Yes, my thoughts are that feedback should be initiated by the buyer as an indication that the product was received and all is well. Much more efficient than sending multiple emails of sending, delivered, satisfied, etc. Then the seller can reciprocate.

HRBAKER
02-14-2012, 03:16 PM
I am an ebay buyer only, I really don't care if the seller leaves me feedback or not. If I get an item, it is properly described, properly shipped - then I leave feedback accordingly as a service to other buyers. If I win an item and pay for it, theoretically feedback should be left then as I have discharged fully my part of the transaction unless leaving the buyer feedback is now considered part of the transaction.

Again with the way the ebay FB program has migrated to the seller's side of the scale to me it is basically useless.

Jaybird
02-14-2012, 03:42 PM
since a seller cannot leave negative feedback on a buyer, how has it migrated to the seller's side?

HRBAKER
02-14-2012, 03:59 PM
since a seller cannot leave negative feedback on a buyer, how has it migrated to the seller's side?

That was a mistype, I certainly meant the buyer's side. Forgive me.

Bigb13
02-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by bosoxfan

any thoughts? I could not have said it better I will start doing the same us buyers must stick together. Rob

Runscott
02-15-2012, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by bosoxfan

any thoughts? I could not have said it better I will start doing the same us buyers must stick together. Rob

I think there are better things to use your energy for. Either as a buyer or as a seller, I leave feedback when it crosses my mind or when someone asks me to. It eventually gets left for everyone I had a transaction for, regardless of whether or not they left it for me. I am way, way, way on the short side regarding feedback, but who cares?

jcmtiger
02-15-2012, 09:25 AM
I leave feedback as a seller as soon as I receive payment. Sometimes buyers leave feedback, sometimes not, I really don't care. If the buyer is not satisfied we work out a solution.

As a buyer I leave feedback when the item arrives.

Seems simple.

Joe

wondo
02-15-2012, 02:18 PM
I chart all feedback that is left for me and rate it before leaving any. If a person takes the time to write original feedback, that certainly weighs more than the system generated options from ebay. I would never think of mixing the two. If multiple listed items make up the order, I rate on the variety of feedback as well as the number of words; using the Scrabble point system is helpful, but obviously just a guide. Punctuation counts, too. If anyone wants my feedback rating Excel spreadsheet, just drop a line.

slidekellyslide
02-15-2012, 02:38 PM
I just left feedback a few moments ago for an item I won and it looks like ebay has done away with stars and now you have choices like "Very Satisfied", "Satisfied", et cetera...IMO this looks like ebay's way to get those DSR's on top rated sellers to go lower..then they can take away their 20% discount on selling fees. The threshold for which is an unbelievably high bar..one ticked off buyer (or just an incredibly dumb one) can cost a seller hundreds of dollars a month.

D. Bergin
02-15-2012, 02:45 PM
I just left feedback a few moments ago for an item I won and it looks like ebay has done away with stars and now you have choices like "Very Satisfied", "Satisfied", et cetera...IMO this looks like ebay's way to get those DSR's on top rated sellers to go lower..then they can take away their 20% discount on selling fees. The threshold for which is an unbelievably high bar..one ticked off buyer (or just an incredibly dumb one) can cost a seller hundreds of dollars a month.

Good lord. I can see it now.

In the area of "Communication" this seller rates a "Very Satisfie....."