PDA

View Full Version : Im sick of eBAY:(

YankeeCollector
12-18-2011, 08:59 PM
2nd week in a row one of my high priced auctions ended with some (ZERO) bidder. Im thinking of suing to enforce the contract just for principal and having this loser arrested. Anyone have any suggestions?http://www.ebay.com/itm/120829339201?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649#ht_648wt_1398

Ladder7
12-18-2011, 09:06 PM
You mean have the winner arrested?

Didn't this just end?

YankeeCollector
12-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Yes and for the 2nd week in a row, some newly formed eBay account with someone with NO intent to pay bid on the card in the last 5 seconds!!! Im getting really sick of this!

h2oya311
12-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Can't you offer the item to the next highest bidder at the price they had bid? I'm sure the bidder w/ bid #28 would be willing to buy the card from you at lucky 7's...

YankeeCollector
12-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Can't you offer the item to the next highest bidder at the price they had bid? I'm sure the bidder w/ bid #28 would be willing to buy the card from you at lucky 7's...

My experience is that people are always skeptical when they get second chance offers. I dont even bother. I will just keep the card!

sycks22
12-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Under ebay settings you can decline offers of people under 5 positive feedback. I've done that and at least gets rid of those newer buyers who don't intend to pay.

YankeeCollector
12-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Under ebay settings you can decline offers of people under 5 positive feedback. I've done that and at least gets rid of those newer buyers who don't intend to pay.

I tried to do that under buyer requirements. I couldnt find it!

YankeeCollector
12-18-2011, 10:02 PM
Ebay must be retarded because it says you can only block bidders with a (-1) score or lower. Meanwhile, bidders cannot receive negative feedback! So stupid!

Runscott
12-19-2011, 12:00 AM

I've tried it. Just like the 'no international bidders' option....it does not work.

You can; however, call ebay and they will reimburse your fees - I have had to do that a couple of times.

glchen
12-19-2011, 01:27 AM
I put in all of my ebay auction listings that anyone with feedback under 50 needs to contact me before they bid, and when possible I cancel the bids of anyone under 5 feedback. I also put the strictest possible buyer requirements that I can including requiring paypal accounts to bid. Since I think paypal accounts usually require a bank account or credit card, it's not the easiest thing for people to keep on opening in order to create a dummy ebay account. I do offer 2nd chance bids when the winning bidder doesn't pay, and the underbidder has accepted the offer and paid before.

Your card was obviously very highly valued, and reminds of when the Strasburg craze was going on with all of those fake bids. Sometimes it's better to consign these to an auction house, or just put these at a BIN.

ibuysportsephemera
12-19-2011, 04:50 AM
I have had a lot of success with second chance offers. The only thing is that you can't do it 5 minutes to a couple of days after the auction ends or it does look suspicious. Since the auction just ended, why not give the winner a chance to pay and if that doesn't work, go through the list of previous bidders.

Jeff

Buythatcard
12-19-2011, 05:12 AM
It's not only buyers with 0 feedback who don't pay. Most of my non payers have had a fair amount of feedback.

You cannot count on eBay to come to your aid.

Since it is a contract between buyer & seller, there must be some way of going after the buyer. I am not a lawyer so I wouldn't know. Probably wouldn't be worth the expense of pursuing this.

I always thought that it would be a great idea to put out the names of the non payers so that we can keep an eye out for these "losers".

For every non payer, there are hundreds of good buyers out there. So, the odds are still in our favor.

Happy Holidays to All!

zljones
12-19-2011, 06:39 AM
This probably sounds like a dumb question but why the hell would anyone bid with no intention of paying? What would they gain from it? So they can laugh at the seller, for making the seller's life harder? To hope the seller sends the product before receiving payment? They have a bidding fetish? They secretly hate the seller for some reason?
Now I can see how a seller can sell an item and take the money without sending anything in order to run a scam which is bad but they get money, but I see no logic in bidding then running, what is the point? How would you profit from bidding then not paying? I can understand if maybe they attemted to pay then their card was declined or something, but why bid then disappear and not communicate?

ChiefBenderForever
12-19-2011, 08:20 AM
They secretly hate the seller for some reason?

This is what would come to mind, especially if it happened last week and before. Someone could be upset about something and making life a little miserable for the seller. But you get a name and address with the winning bidder, so can people set up accts with fake names and address ? Does ebay not require paypal acct to bid and also verify name and bank acct ? If not then ebay truly does suck and very easy to make life miserable for any seller you have some beef with.

drc
12-19-2011, 12:22 PM
I suspect some people bid then have second thoughts about parting with the money. It's also possible they win multiple items in a rush of bidding, then decide they with didn't win them all. They may have won more than they expected-- or, conversely, shouldn't have bid on so many items.

I would imagine it's rare for people to bid just to ruin an auction. Some people just don't think about the $$/bank account clear enough until they have to actually pay. It's kind of like buying a bunch of stuff at 1am on QVC, but with the next morning chance of deciding not to pay.

Though the item featured here was an awfully expensive item, not the plastic bracelets and SI magazines I was envisioning in earlier two paragraphs.

Section103
12-19-2011, 12:38 PM
:) Net54 has a BST section.

greenmonster66
12-19-2011, 01:54 PM
A very Good BST section indeed!!

Semitar6
12-19-2011, 10:05 PM
I think you would be hard pressed to get someone arrested over a non paying bid on Ebay. AS a former seller myself, I've had this problem numerous times and there usually isnt a whole lot you can do. You can get a refund from ebay for the costs of the auction and if they are in your state I do believe you could take them to small claims court over the matter. You could try ebid, which is where I usually sell now and I've never had a problem with a nonpaying bidder there...However the buying audience is a bit smaller there...so its a toss up either way. Ebay, with its price structure became too much of a burden for me to continue there...On ebid they charge next to nothing...so its worth it for me to actually keep most of the money your selling your items for.

teetwoohsix
12-19-2011, 10:52 PM
I have had a lot of success with second chance offers. The only thing is that you can't do it 5 minutes to a couple of days after the auction ends or it does look suspicious. Since the auction just ended, why not give the winner a chance to pay and if that doesn't work, go through the list of previous bidders.

Jeff

I agree with Jeff- I would just contact the next person below the idiot who put in the bogus bid and offer it to them. I won this card (sorry, shown many times) as a second chance offer and was more than happy that it was offered again to me, because I really wanted this card/combo, and was bummed when I lost. I never used sniping programs, and would just try in the last few seconds to bid higher.

As far as why someone would do something like this-could be many things- shady competition trying to frustrate you out of wanting to sell? Someone who got caught up in the heat of the moment and lost all sense of their financial reality? :confused: Hopefully ebay gives them the boot.

Sincerely, Clayton