PDA

View Full Version : SCD slabs? - I'll stick with the theme

rainier2004
12-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Lots of grader questions lately and I have one as well.

I know SCD slabbed cards sometime ago, but I was curious how easy it is to manipulate one of these as I have never owned one and don't remember from years ago my thoughts on them. Are their grades reflective of today's market? Any help would be great!

Fred
12-18-2011, 07:24 AM
I felt that SCD slabbed cards were accurately graded cards. Unfortunately they didn't stay in the business too long. I have no idea how secure the holders are.

Jay Wolt
12-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Actually there is/was 2 SCD grading companies.
The initial one was affiliated w/ the SCD (Sports Collectors Digest) Hobby paper and wasn't all that bad regarding accuracy.
They then sold out their "SCD" grading name, which another company called "Sports Cards Direct" which I've heard wasn't all that great.
You will see that the slabs & flips are nearly identical.
Nonetheless, the SCD grading name is confusing w/ the 2 different companies utilizing the name. Not sure if they still are operating.

Here are the 2 slabs, which I took from eBay.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1951-Topps-Red-Back-BB-18-Gerry-Coleman-SCD-8-NM-MT-/24/!CEDoOcQEGk~$(KGrHqYOKjYEzqCRzlqyBNQpoUz4v!~~_3.JP G

http://www.amerlegends.com/auction/toppsmick-1289672887-2711.jpg

ZernialFan
12-18-2011, 10:03 AM
My experience has been the older RED labeled SCD were graded fairly accurate and would cross. That was verified by sending to SGC or PSA and obtaining the same grade or up or down about a 1/2 grade. I found that the later new label SCD had graded trimmed cards and I then stayed away. Don't know if they are still in business.

Fred
12-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Today (18DEC11) there were both Sports Collectors Digest and Sports Cards Direct graded cards on fleabay. I was refering to the former when I made my post. As pointed out the flips and logos look close in appearance for both. I never encountered any of the Sports Cards Direct labels in the past.

Fred
12-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Just found this link...

http://reviews.ebay.com/Buying-Graded-Sports-Cards-Avoid-Being-Ripped-Off?ugid=10000000001342856

It indicates the following:

Sports Collectors Digest Authentic (SCD) - now out of the grading business, SCD was generally considered to be a reputable and accurate service. On the open market, you will still find the odd SCD graded card, distinguishable by the red logo on the silver label. CAUTION: there is a new "SCD" (Sports Cards Direct) that uses a similar silver label but with blue logo. This new service is not considered to be a reputable grading company.

However it also states the following about GAI:

Global Authentication (GAI) - Started by two former PSA employees, GAI is the relative new kid on the grading block, and as such they have a smaller market share than the other companies. My personal experience with GAI is limited, but positive, and general consensus is that they do a reputable job of grading. However, GAI, like SGC, has more of a reputation with vintage cards and little market share among modern card grading.

I'm sorry but I'd trust the Sports Collectors Digest grading more than the GAI slabs.

Also in the linked page:

Companies NOT to be considered:

GEM, GEM Elite, MINT, RARE, PRO, USA, CSA, AGS, PGS, GradeMyCards, FGS, GMA, IGS, NASA, WCG, 3-D, Grading Unlimited, CGE, GRA, ASA, SPA, TFA, PGI, etc.
Quite literally, some of these companies don't exist for more than a year, develop a reputation, rebrand themselves and start over. This list only hints at the number of illegitimate grading operations out there.
Even worse, some of these "grading" companies area actually basement slabbing operations, with the "grader" selling his own slabs online.
Ask yourself this: if you owned a Mickey Mantle rookie card that you absolutely knew was authentic and unaltered, why would you send it to a grading company that had anything less than a stellar reputation? Now ask yourself why that Mantle rookie on eBay is sitting in a slab from Bubba's Grading Service. The bottom line is that a card graded Poor by a reputable company is still more desirable than a trimmed card or a fake, no matter what numerical grade is on the label.

rainier2004
12-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the help. I had only a scan of the front and the card was a vg - 3. Its was the SCD red label (sports collectors digest not direct). Back scans later viewed then shows 2 dime-sized pieces of paper missing from the back...thanks again for the help.