PDA

View Full Version : best way to remove a glued postcard from cardboard?

chaddurbin
12-14-2011, 11:03 AM
the piece came framed. i broke it apart. i removed the 2 photos and it seems to be some kind of glue used on the kodak paper, used exacto knife to lift up an edge and peeled right off (can see the remants above the pc). i'm unsure what to do with the PC? i don't want to damaged the pc with my inexperience. any help/guidance is much appreciated.

(leon if u feel i'd get more diversify responses on the main board please move it there)

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo147/quannimir/foxx.jpg
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo147/quannimir/frame.jpg

Leon
12-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi Quan
I am not sure of the answer. To solicit more responses I copied it to the main forum too. I hate those silly stickers the TPA's use.

perezfan
12-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Hi Quan
I am not sure of the answer. To solicit more responses I copied it to the main forum too. I hate those silly stickers the TPA's use.

Agree...

An equally pertinent question would be. "How do I remove this goofy modern JSA Sticker from my beautiful vintage postcard?"

There should be a law in place, to maintain the integrity of the piece (and leave these things alone!)

slidekellyslide
12-14-2011, 12:49 PM
the piece came framed. i broke it apart. i removed the 2 photos and it seems to be some kind of glue used on the kodak paper, used exacto knife to lift up an edge and peeled right off (can see the remants above the pc). i'm unsure what to do with the PC? i don't want to damaged the pc with my inexperience. any help/guidance is much appreciated.

(leon if u feel i'd get more diversify responses on the main board please move it there)

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo147/quannimir/foxx.jpg
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo147/quannimir/frame.jpg

I would cut around the postcard...is the front of this postcard important to you? It doesn't appear to be baseball related...I would hope that whoever glued it down did not glue underneath the signature. If just the top is glued down I would think a very sharp knife underneath that part carefully cutting and lifting would bring it off...if it is glued under the signature I wouldn't even try to remove it.

slidekellyslide
12-14-2011, 12:53 PM
this is what the front of that postcard looks like

chaddurbin
12-14-2011, 01:04 PM
yea dan...that is what i think the front is like. there are a couple variations from the NY to BOS. from removing the photos i can tell the glue was applied around the edges...so most likely the glue would be close to the signature...if not directly underneath it.

there is an option from jsa to have the sticker applied to the piece...or on the LOA. i was hoping to remove the pc (preserving as much of the front as i could) and take advante of SGC/JSA $10 slabbing fee for JSA-authenticated piece.

...and yes i did cut down the cardboard waiting for a better idea :) present state:

slidekellyslide
12-14-2011, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't really mess with it if the glue is under the signature....there's a guy on this forum who shows up occasionally named Dick Towle who can get it off of there with no problem..not sure what he'd charge though.

chaddurbin
12-14-2011, 01:13 PM
i don't think dick towle is an option, unless his cost is alot lower than what i imagine it to be.

thanks for all the replies so far!

RichardSimon
12-14-2011, 06:21 PM
I have used a hair dryer to remove scotch tape.
Not sure if it would work on glue but might be worth a try, don't think it would hurt the card.

chaddurbin
12-14-2011, 07:37 PM
I have used a hair dryer to remove scotch tape.
Not sure if it would work on glue but might be worth a try, don't think it would hurt the card.

richard--your suggestion sounds like a good way to kill a wednesday evening, so i put the hair dryer on full blast and tried to aim away from the sig as much as possible...results 10 minutes later below. i was a little impatient so put it on hot and it peeled pretty fast, on warm it was slower. we'll see if the pc is still in one piece tomorrow :D...thx R owe u one!

p.s. i was tempted to turn the hair dryer on the jsa sticker but didn't want to push my luck ;)

thenavarro
12-14-2011, 07:55 PM
richard--your suggestion sounds like a good way to kill a wednesday evening, so i put the hair dryer on full blast and tried to aim away from the sig as much as possible...results 10 minutes later below. i was a little impatient so put it on hot and it peeled pretty fast, on warm it was slower. we'll see if the pc is still in one piece tomorrow :D...thx R owe u one!

p.s. i was tempted to turn the hair dryer on the jsa sticker but didn't want to push my luck ;)

Congrats on the successful operation. Did you hair dryer the actual postcard or the board that it was attached to? In other words, did you "blow air" on the signed side of the pc to heat it up, or the back side of the cardboard backing to heat it up? I've got this one coming in a couple weeks and I'd like to try it myself as my Jackie is adhered to this board.

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab239/thenavarro/myjackie2.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

chaddurbin
12-14-2011, 08:05 PM
mike--i started out blowing the back of the white cardboard but got impatient...so then i aimed for the edges of the actual postcard. i put the heat on medium and it took slower to peel...so i just put it on high to get the job done asap. i figured if i put it on med the pc will be exposed to the heat flow longer but not as hot...if it was on high there'd be more heat but for a shorter duration (so it was a wash in my head). ymmv tho with the adhesive used and cardboard type.

thenavarro
12-14-2011, 08:12 PM
mike--i started out blowing the back of the white cardboard but got impatient...so then i aimed for the edges of the actual postcard. i put the heat on medium and it took slower to peel...so i just put it on high to get the job done asap. i figured if i put it on med the pc will be exposed to the heat flow longer but not as hot...if it was on high there'd be more heat but for a shorter duration (so it was a wash in my head). ymmv tho with the adhesive used and cardboard type.

Thanks for the explanation.

Mike

RichardSimon
12-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Glad it worked for you, I had several successful "operations" with a hair dryer in the past but like I said, they were with scotch tape.