PDA

View Full Version : Help Wanted - Postcard identification -CUBS?

nebboy
12-14-2011, 09:55 AM
I picked this up from a board member a few days ago, with the hopes that I could do research to the which game the title ( Baseball Series - Rain.) may be in reference to.
The post date is Oct 19 1907, which is only one week after CUBS/TIGERS series ended. The only game 5 had a rain but it was a rain delay in the 5th inning, so players would not be in street clothing.

Also looking for opinions as to identify the 3 main figures.
Best I could come up with is: Steinfeldt, Chance,Tinker

Thank you up front for any and all help - John

aelefson
12-14-2011, 11:00 AM
Hi-
I believe the postcard is generic. I have one in my collection that is cancelled in 1908 (I will have to check). It would be great if the three folks represented players, but I do not think so. I would love to be wrong about this.
Alan

bcbgcbrcb
12-14-2011, 11:04 AM
The closest might be the one on the right, Joe Tinker.

fkw
12-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Im thinking generic too, not even related to the Cubs, just "baseball" in general. There are quite a few baseball related postcards from the 1905-10 Era (many with woman and fans and generic players) and a few use the word "series" but not really referring to the World Series.

yours was probably originally bought because of the World Series though, just no made specifically for the series.

nebboy
12-15-2011, 08:22 AM
No surprize that the post card is a generic and simply baseball related. I bought it to do the research. Every time I read about this time period in baseball I learn more. Which is drives my collection to Prewar.

Thanks all for the help!