PDA

View Full Version : 1952 Topps Mantle- opinions please?

grainsley
12-13-2011, 08:13 PM
To make a long story short, I met a guy in this small town I live in, who has one....I am not a '52 collector, but am aware of all the forgeries/reprints out there. He is thinking of selling it, and knows what he is up against, since he doesn't care to get involved with grading, etc. His credibility is good, he has every other Mantle & Maris regular issue in at least EX, some NrMt-Mt, I saw them, along with an almost complete set of '53's. He is not an active collector, just bought what he wanted many years ago. He is about 65, and I don't think he has the need to do a scam to make a few bucks. I'm guessing the card (if real) would get a 1.5 or on a good day, a 2, but I am not into grading either. Would appreciate opinions on the card, and I'll tip my hand, I think it is real. Here's the link to my Photobucket page, he brought the card over for me to scan.

http://s1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd444/Grainsley/Cards/

Thanks!

Grant

campyfan39
12-13-2011, 09:35 PM
real

Moesalty
12-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Legit. Nice centering as well.

CW
12-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Wow, despite the wear n' tear, that card has incredible centering for a '52T Mantle!

I'm not an expert, but I don't see any warning signs.

pclpads
12-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Looks like the real deal. I think your grade assessment is spot-on.

fkw
12-14-2011, 03:44 AM
I am always all for keeping cards raw, but....
the '52T Mantle is one card that really needs to be slabbed to get top $$

there are so many fakes out there and so many newbies scared of raw cards that he will be leaving $$ on the table if he doesnt get it slabbed.

its easy for us to see its authentic and has honest wear, but to many it will look like a doctored reprint and they wont bid... collectors take chances on lower $$ items but not many newbies will take a chance on a higher $$ item like this, raw

grainsley
12-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Really appreciate your opinions, will pass them on to the owner.

Grant