PDA

View Full Version : OT - William A Peffer 1897 US Senate Chamber Card... N124

smokelessjoe
12-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Sorry about the OT...

Totally out of my league on this, but I picked up this Senate Chamber pass from 1897 signed? by US Senator William A Peffer. Really intriguing history on this fellow and Peffer is even featured on 1887 Duke N124 Presidential Possibilities!

First, I have no clue if it is legit?

Second: I cannot find any history of sales for Peffers signature... Is there any value associated with this?

Third: Is there a forum better suited for asking about something like this?

The second picture posted below is a image I pulled off of the Kansas State Historical website.

Thank you for any help you can provide,
Shawn

aelefson
12-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Shawn-
I do not know about your card and senator in particular but in general, these cards are quite common. Typically, unless the senator was very famous you will not get more than 50.00 and that would be from a local collector. Most of the cards from the 20th century have printed signatures on them, but I am not sure about one from your era. I believe they were given to allow someone to sit in the gallery and observe the proceedings for the day.
Alan

smokelessjoe
12-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Thanks Alan,

I am pretty much seeing what you have said... Its the age of this one that is giving me such a hard time. History has allot to say about Peffer, but I am not sure how famous he is? I think I would be lucky to even get $50.00...

I will keep you posted if I learn anything new.

Shawn,