PDA

View Full Version : Is GAI a reputable company?

JoeyF
12-12-2011, 11:02 AM
ive heard that they are known for not being able to tell the difference if a card has been altered or not. is this true? any feedback would help. thanks

sycks22
12-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Early one they were pretty legit (gray labels), but once they filed bankruptcy and now their name is "global authentic" and have the white label they are pretty bad. Later in their business they graded anything.

JoeyF
12-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Early one they were pretty legit (gray labels), but once they filed bankruptcy and now their name is "global authentic" and have the white label they are pretty bad. Later in their business they graded anything.

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq224/Blackitalian/hankaaron85.jpg

JoeyF
12-12-2011, 11:13 AM
you think this is legit? any signs of alteration?

Jay Wolt
12-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Is it me, or an illusion that the Aaron looks wavy & trimmed on top?

sycks22
12-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Is it me, or an illusion that the Aaron looks wavy & trimmed on top?

I'm with Jay on this one, something doesn't smell right. How much is the guy asking for it?

YankeeCollector
12-12-2011, 11:18 AM
you think this is legit? any signs of alteration?

I will say this. You always have to question in my opinion why a card of this caliber is not in a SGC or PSA holder where the seller can maximize his return. That alone would make me suspicious. i would treat this card as a SGC Authentic and pay accordingly.

Fred
12-12-2011, 11:21 AM
When GAI first came out I was always leery that some of the cards that were given numerical grades were trimmed. After seeing more and more I pretty much figured out that GAI was providing numerical grades to trimmed cards.

Even though a majority of the cards graded by GAI were probably not trimmed, the GAI encapsulated cards would sell at a discount to SGC and PSA graded cards.

Be careful if you're thinking about buying a card graded by GAI to have it crossed over to PSA or SGC. You may not get the result you were hoping for.

Leon
12-12-2011, 11:24 AM
I will say this. You always have to question in my opinion why a card of this caliber is not in a SGC or PSA holder where the seller can maximize his return. That alone would make me suspicious. i would treat this card as a SGC Authentic and pay accordingly.

Agree on this one, exactly.

dog*dirt
12-12-2011, 11:41 AM
I have seen a lot more trimmed cards in GAI holders that they slabbed with high grades. I am always suspicious when I see a high dollar card in a GAI case. It's not that the lower valued cards might also be trimmed but a case of why the owner wouldn't get it slabbed by SGC or PSA. I mean who wouldn't want to maximize their resale value? Unless they really really liked the look of the GAI holder.

vintagetoppsguy
12-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Is GAI a reputable company?

Maybe it's just me, but I would have asked this question BEFORE I bought it. Then again, does it really matter if you're going to turn around and sell it for a loss a few days later anyway?

rp12367
12-12-2011, 11:45 AM
I had a problem a few years ago. Sent off a T206 GAI 5 to cross over to SGC and came back card was trimmed. Got the card for good deal, found out why later :mad:

JoeyF
12-12-2011, 11:47 AM
i DID email the seller and ask him before the auction ended but he didnt respond in time and i told him to cancel my bid but he didnt respond till this morning. and no im not going to re-sell because im not buying it. Thanks for being a smart-a$$

vintagetoppsguy
12-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Nevermind

calvindog
12-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I would have asked this question BEFORE I bought it. Then again, does it really matter if you're going to turn around and sell it for a loss a few days later anyway?

Not true! He can simply put it on BST for 3x what he paid for it an hour ago!

Leon
12-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Calling someone a smart ass requires a name,......so in keeping with the rules JoeyF is Joseph f@rino .....carry on.

JoeyF
12-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Calling someone a smart ass requires a name,......so in keeping with the rules JoeyF is Joseph f@rino .....carry on.

lol...thanks for ruining the thread leon. i was messing with vintage, hes a cool guy and i have never had a problem with him. it wasnt meant to be serious. but thanks for the compliment

Leon
12-12-2011, 04:41 PM
lol...thanks for ruining the thread leon. i was messing with vintage, hes a cool guy and i have never had a problem with him. it wasnt meant to be serious. but thanks for the compliment

All I did was go by the rules, something which you didn't. I could care less otherwise.....and nothing personal at all. I don't care if folks want to argue a little bit.... take care

WhenItWasAHobby
12-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Is GAI even in business?

ZernialFan
12-12-2011, 05:57 PM
I bought some GAI early and popped out and sent to PSA and SGC.
Mixed bag.............some graded and some trimmed.
Learned my lesson. Stay away unless you don't care or you want to gamble.

Charlie

calvindog
12-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Is GAI even in business?

Just on Mondays.

WhenItWasAHobby
12-13-2011, 06:26 AM
Just on Mondays.

Good one Jeff!