PDA

View Full Version : A little info, please.

Brian Van Horn
12-09-2011, 03:33 PM
I recently picked up an assorted lot of cards on eBay and I was wondering if anyone has any information on the pictures that were affixed to thick cardboard for the following three players:

Leon
12-10-2011, 08:37 PM
I don't think I have seen those before. What size are they? I know they aren't stamps but have some characteristics (black and white with rudimentary info and blank backs etc... ) of a few circa 1940 stamps, Associated Station and Signal Oil ....though they aren't identical by any means...Interesting cards. My initial thoughts, if I don't know or have ever seen something is to lean towards an ad cut however, I think there are still new sets to be discovered too.

Jaybird
12-10-2011, 09:30 PM
is the tear all the way through the picture and the backing on the Cavaretta? If only the picture, then it makes me think it was a team newspaper premium or something glued onto cardboard and then cut into individual players.

Brian Van Horn
12-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Gentlemen,

I would call these "composites" because I think they came from possibly a poster or a page showing pictures of the Cubs. Given the players, I am guessing around 1938, which sucks because I am a Pirate fan and 1938 was the year of "The Homer in the Gloamin."

The measurements are 2 3/8 by 2.

As for the Cavaretta, the crease (tear in the paper) goes through to the back of the cardboard. The thickness of the cardboard would be a little thicker than Diamond Stars stock.

spec
12-10-2011, 10:22 PM
If these are glossy photos, I suspect they were cut from a wire service composite sent to newspapers in advance of the 1938 World Series.