PDA

View Full Version : The Great Big American Auction show last night on ABC

HexsHeroes
12-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Anybody else watch The Great Big American Auction show last night, on ABC ? My wife was channel surfing and stumbled across it when they were about to sell a Ty Cobb personal checkbook, and 132 (cancelled ?) checks. She elbowed me awake, inorder to watch. Item ended up selling for $90,000, and one of the consignors was very disappointed because "she knew it was worth alot more."

Personally, I thought the selling price (avg. $682 per signed check, before commission) was about right, without knowing the location of the cancellation stamp/punches in relation to Cobb's signature on the checks. Seems to me that decent checks with clean signatures are commanding $650-$950 each, while those with impaired signatures tend to run between $400-$700 each. I suppose my observations could be low, on account of not including commissions. Regardless, it was enlightening to watch.

Promotional mail sent to me, prior to show airing last night . . . ABC has announced that it will air The Great Big American Auction, in a very special television first made-for-TV auction event, at 10 PM (ET) tonight. The show will star Ty Pennington of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, one of America's leading reality TV personalities, and feature exclusively Heritage Auctions' experts, auction services and staff.

The special was produced by Cineflix (Auction) Inc. for ABC. Executive Producers are Lisa Levenson, Ty Pennington, Joe Houlihan and Simon Lloyd.

Ty Pennington has been transforming people's homes and lives for several years now as the host of ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and has now found an exciting new way to change lives by turning their memorabilia and assorted hidden finds into treasures worth life-changing amounts of money.

After scouring flea markets, cellars, attics and yard sales to find one-of-a-kind items whose owners have no idea of their real value, Pennington, with a team of experts from Heritage Auctions, tags the best items and brings them to The Queen Mary oceanliner in Long Beach, CA for The Great Big American Auction. The exceptional collectibles range from first edition classic comic books to rare American currency to an early 20th century baseball icon's checkbook, and much more in-between, all chosen for their rarity, value and the uniqueness of the consignor's story.

"It's a great thrill to be part of this major network, prime time show, to work with Cineflex and ABC and a star the magnitude and class of Ty Pennington," said Greg Rohan, President of Heritage Auctions. "We went to great lengths with our staff and experts to make sure that all these unique items have great stories and that they live up to Heritage's exacting consignment standards. We hope that everyone will enjoy the show as much as we enjoyed being a part of it."

Objects originally bought for mere dollars, or literally plucked right out the trash will go for thousands of dollars as their lucky owners' lives are changed for the better.

The Great Big American Auction will air on Thursday, Dec. 8 AT 10 P.M. (ET) on The ABC Television Network.

Heritage Auctions is always seeking "consignments with a story" for possible future TV projects. If you think you might have a unique item and a unique story,

jcmtiger
12-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Yes, I watched the show. Heritage was the auction house handling the auction. I'm not sure when this was taped, but I thought the sale of the book of Cobb checks was some time ago. I may be mistaken.

I just did a search on NET54 for Ty Cobb checks and found the thread about these checks. The auction was by Heritage in April 2011.

Joe

D. Bergin
12-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Did I see that wrong? Were all the checks still attached in the check book?

Did that make sense to anybody? :confused: