PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Seller Vintagecards1 Horrible Forgeries

thetruthisoutthere
12-08-2011, 05:21 PM
The below horrific forgeries are from Ebay seller Vintagecards1. These are simply putrid forgeries. I have also saved the Ebay screenshots of each of the below forgeries.

David Atkatz
12-08-2011, 05:26 PM
You sure about these? :D

novakjr
12-08-2011, 05:30 PM
steaknchop strikes again:eek:..

mr2686
12-08-2011, 05:31 PM
I know we often talk about an autograph looking like it was signed slow, and sometimes you can't tell by a scan, but these are just stupid slow. What a joke.

perezfan
12-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Look like good efforts...

for a 5 year old
who's attempting left-handed
on a sugar high
while riding a pony

Seriously, has the seller ever sold one?

David Atkatz
12-08-2011, 05:35 PM
...but these are just stupid slow. What a joke.Yup. First-rate detective work, though. ;)

mr2686
12-08-2011, 05:37 PM
I really would have liked to have seen Ron Santo's auto also have HOF 2012 on it. That would have been a great addition :D

thetruthisoutthere
12-08-2011, 05:42 PM

for a 5 year old
who's attempting left-haned
on a sugar high
while riding a pony

Ebay seller "Vintagecards1" had bids on all 20 of his autograph auctions. The Mays had a high bid of $32.00.

mr2686
12-08-2011, 05:47 PM
32...that matches the bidder's IQ

Vintagedegu
12-08-2011, 06:07 PM
-

Scott Garner
12-08-2011, 06:45 PM

for a 5 year old
who's attempting left-haned
on a sugar high
while riding a pony

THAT is hysterical!! :p
Worst fakes ever!

Scott Garner
12-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Maybe his macaw signed them.

Another good one. A classic!! :p

GrayGhost
12-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Im serious. How the heck can fleabay not ban this guy? This stuff is so horrible its not funny. Enough. This garbage can't go on

David Atkatz
12-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Why don't you worry about forgeries that actually fool people?

thekingofclout
12-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Why don't you worry about forgeries that actually fool people?

+1

Scott Garner
12-09-2011, 05:13 AM
+1

+ 2

GrayGhost
12-09-2011, 06:55 AM
There is plenty of worrying about Forgeries that fool people, as multiple threads can attest to.

I think its fine to point out something so hideous, as it speaks to the gall of some people , the stupidity of others, and the general apathy, since they are getting paid, of a major company.

Thanks for the thread Chris.

BTW: These are just my opinions, so no need for anyone to grab their ball and run home, or respond like a five year old. THANKS.

Scott Roberts

RichardSimon
12-09-2011, 07:01 AM
All of those items had multiple bids,,, multiple bids.
Obviously they won't fool the collectors here, but they certainly did fool some nieve buyers on ebay.
And Scott and King I am surprised at you guys,, Chris has done as much or more than anyone I know in this hobby to try to fight forgeries, be they obvious ones or ones that are more difficult to discern.
What harm was done by pointing out these forgeries?

Scott Garner
12-09-2011, 07:06 AM
There is plenty of worrying about Forgeries that fool people, as multiple threads can attest to.

I think its fine to point out something so hideous, as it speaks to the gall of some people , the stupidity of others, and the general apathy, since they are getting paid, of a major company.

Thanks for the thread Chris.

BTW: These are just my opinions, so no need for anyone to grab their ball and run home, or respond like a five year old. THANKS.

Scott Roberts

Scott,
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you by seconding Jimmy's point. These fakes are so bad they're ridiculous. Anyone that is foolish enough to bid on these shouldn't be buying autographs, period.
Happy holidays,
Scott

thetruthisoutthere
12-09-2011, 07:40 AM
Thank you, Richard, and Scott (GrayGhost).

Leon
12-09-2011, 07:45 AM
Count me in as part of the folks that appreciate every one of these threads and posts that point out fraud, scammers or bad material. I guarantee they help folks that you might not even know they have helped. I know because I get the emails. I say keep them coming.....and thanks again to everyone that tries to help. I always say, you can't help everyone or everything, but you can try. What comes around goes around and karma is a beyatch.... :).

For those that say they (the easy ones) shouldn't be pointed out, you have a right to your opinion too.

thetruthisoutthere
12-09-2011, 07:57 AM
Count me in as part of the folks that appreciate every one of these threads and posts that point out fraud, scammers or bad material. I guarantee they help folks that you might not even know they have helped. I know because I get the emails. I say keep them coming.....and thanks again to everyone that tries to help. I always say, you can't help everyone or everything, but you can try. What comes around goes around and karma is a beyatch.... :).

For those that say they (the easy ones) shouldn't be pointed out, you have a right to your opinion too.

I totally, agree, Leon, everyone here has an absolute right to their opinion.

I start specific threads for a specific reason. One of the reasons that I started this thread and posted those photographs was to let the seller know that collectors are watching for garbage like that and that they aren't "anonymous" just because they are selling it on Ebay.

Also, when I looked at that seller's listings this morning, they were all gone.

thetruthisoutthere
12-09-2011, 07:58 AM
+1

Scott Garner
12-09-2011, 08:00 AM
Obviously they won't fool the collectors here, but they certainly did fool some nieve buyers on ebay.
And Scott and King I am surprised at you guys,, Chris has done as much or more than anyone I know in this hobby to try to fight forgeries, be they obvious ones or ones that are more difficult to discern.

Actually, I like the fact that Chris posts fakes here on net54. It's absolutely a great education for all. Everyone chill out a little, I'm not taking potshots at anyone.
Again, Happy Holidays to all and peace.

thetruthisoutthere
12-09-2011, 08:00 AM

Also, thank you, too, Leon.

RichardSimon
12-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Actually, I like the fact that Chris posts fakes here on net54. It's absolutely a great education for all. Everyone chill out a little, I'm not taking potshots at anyone.
Again, Happy Holidays to all and peace.

+1

mr2686
12-09-2011, 08:09 AM
+...errr, no -...uh uh, what number are we on now? :D

thetruthisoutthere
12-09-2011, 09:13 AM

I also wanted to mention that the seller (Vintagecards1) had a total of 20 autograph cards listed; I only posted five of them. One of them was a horrific Nellie Fox that had a high bid of over $100.00. And in the end, they were all removed.

Scott Garner
12-09-2011, 11:05 AM
I also wanted to mention that the seller (Vintagecards1) had a total of 20 autograph cards listed; I only posted five of them. One of them was a horrific Nellie Fox that had a high bid of over $100.00. And in the end, they were all removed.

Nice job, Chris!

perezfan
12-09-2011, 11:12 AM

+ 1/2

Plus one for Chris posting them, but minus a half for ebay removing them in the end. So it was all kind of a moot point. But then again, a potential future watchout. Thus, the assignment of just a "half point".

David Atkatz
12-09-2011, 11:20 AM
"I have little patience with scientists who take a board of wood, look for its thinnest part, and drill a great number of holes where drilling is easy."

--Albert Einstein (quoted by Philipp Frank in "Einstein's Philosophy of Science," Reviews of Modern Physics, Vol 21, No. 3 July 1949.

RichardSimon
12-09-2011, 11:38 AM
+ 1/2

Plus one for Chris posting them, but minus a half for ebay removing them in the end. So it was all kind of a moot point. But then again, a potential future watchout. Thus, the assignment of just a "half point".

I don't understand this one Perez. Why minus half to ebay for removing them? They saved a number of buyers about a thousand bucks or so. I would be praising ebay for the work they have done for the last few months. Many bad items are vanishing every day, including very high priced ones.

perezfan
12-09-2011, 12:30 PM
I don't understand this one Perez. Why minus half to ebay for removing them? They saved a number of buyers about a thousand bucks or so. I would be praising ebay for the work they have done for the last few months. Many bad items are vanishing every day, including very high priced ones.

Oh sorry... What I meant is that it's GOOD that ebay removed it. But ebay's removal rendered the thread a bit less relevant (since the seller was shut down). Just a rather weak joke, in an attempt to poke fun at the whole +1 / -2 thing. I had never seen fractions used, so thought I would be the first. :confused:

thetruthisoutthere
12-09-2011, 12:32 PM
"I have little patience with scientists who take a board of wood, look for its thinnest part, and drill a great number of holes where drilling is easy."

--Albert Einstein (quoted by Philipp Frank in "Einstein's Philosophy of Science," Reviews of Modern Physics, Vol 21, No. 3 July 1949.

Reading that Einstein quote (how pretentious is that?) made me think of this....

GrayGhost
12-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Don't worry Chris. CC won't be outdone. My source told me they just got a box of 12 balls from the Jim Creighton private signing. They are dated and all too. Great to have those enter the hobby next month.:eek::o

RichardSimon
12-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Oh sorry... What I meant is that it's GOOD that ebay removed it. But ebay's removal rendered the thread a bit less relevant (since the seller was shut down). Just a rather weak joke, in an attempt to poke fun at the whole +1 / -2 thing. I had never seen fractions used, so thought I would be the first. :confused:

Ok, I just wanted to clarify that.
btw - the seller has not been shut down, just had his bogus autgraphs removed. Though it is my understanding that if a bogus seller has his items removed and then attempts to relist them, that is grounds for shutting a seller down permanently.

David Atkatz
12-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Reading that Einstein quote (how pretentious is that?) made me think of this....Pretentious? LOL
I must be one a them "liberal elites"!

(I thought--and still believe--the quote is quite appropriate.)

David Atkatz
12-09-2011, 01:03 PM
I will give Chris his props, though. Unlike some others, he's not afraid to name names.

thetruthisoutthere
12-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I will give Chris his props, though. Unlike some others, he's not afraid to name names.

David, I don't know what your agenda is here with your comments, but have you ever read Richard's website?

David Atkatz
12-09-2011, 01:20 PM
I have, Chris. And, FWIW, I have no "agenda." I just calls 'em as I sees 'em.

thetruthisoutthere
12-09-2011, 01:21 PM
I have, Chris. And, FWIW, I have no "agenda." I just calls 'em as I sees 'em.

I guess I'll have to do the same..........but then again, I don't want to stoop to your level, David.

brickyardkennedy
12-09-2011, 01:31 PM

As has been pointed out, not everyone is an expert. We all start out naive and uneducated and are educated in steps over time. I know that I appreciate all who take the time to help out, in that education.

Thanks for what you do, Chris. Your posts actually have a purpose.

David Atkatz
12-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Cut the "holier than thou" crap, Chris. Why don't you try listening to one of your own videos? Nothing but nasty, self-righteous, self-important spew, aimed mainly at ill-informed buyers (they're not "real collectors," like you). And all of it--all of it--is drilling holes where the board is thinnest.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

GrayGhost
12-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Honestly, I wish you two would stop this crap and realize that any of these autograph forgery threads, be it for a bad bunch of baseball cards, or a 300000 Ruth ball, serves a USEFUL purpose. GET OVER IT.

RichardSimon
12-09-2011, 01:41 PM
i guess i'll have to do the same..........but then again, i don't want to stoop to your level, david.

+100

David Atkatz
12-09-2011, 01:42 PM
You only get one vote, Richard! ;)

thetruthisoutthere
12-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Cut the "holier than thou" crap, Chris. Why don't you try listening to one of your own videos? Nothing but nasty, self-righteous, self-important spew, aimed mainly at ill-informed buyers (they're not "real collectors," like you). And all of it--all of it--is drilling holes where the board is thinnest.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

That's right, David, I do not deny my videos. My style, is my style and I wouldn't have it any other way, nor will I ever change.

When I first started my videos I received a ton of threats and I never backed off or backed down; instead I produced more videos. Unlike yourself, who "backed off" on the "Piedmont" thread. You were the only member, who, after Leon posted that letter from Prisco's attorney, who didn't post one comment. Not one. Every member who participated in that thread, continued to post and defend Leon after he posted that letter from attorney; that is, every member except you, David.

I started this thread exposing some horrific forgeries, and for some unknown reason, you had to post personal sarcastic comments against me. Why, David?

So, you don't like my videos or the way I do them; that's your choice. Maybe you don't like my thread here; again, that's your choice and no big deal. I've dealt with a lot worse on YouTube.

David Atkatz
12-09-2011, 01:57 PM
You really don't know WTF you're talking about, do you?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=143253

Sure sounds like I'm afraid of his lawyer, doesn't it? LOL

Your style? Calling buyers "morons and idiots." Nice work! And those "horrific forgeries"? Wow! Some excellent work, there! How long did it take you to realize they were no good, and that the rest of us needed to be informed to prevent us from buying them?

RichardSimon
12-09-2011, 02:29 PM
How long did it take you to realize they were no good, and that the rest of us needed to be informed to prevent us from buying them?

Perhaps the videos were intended for novice and inexperienced collectors, who did not know as much as the people here on Net 54?
Ever consider that?
When I was watching his videos I would check out the items on ebay that he was talking about and most of them had bids, most of them had multiple bids.
Perhaps his core audience consisted of the people who were bidding on those items and maybe Chris was trying to help them.
Ever consider that?

thetruthisoutthere
12-09-2011, 02:34 PM
You really don't know WTF you're talking about, do you?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=143253

Sure sounds like I'm afraid of his lawyer, doesn't it? LOL

Your style? Calling buyers "morons and idiots." Nice work! And those "horrific forgeries"? Wow! Some excellent work, there! How long did it take you to realize they were no good, and that the rest of us needed to be informed to prevent us from buying them?

Mr. Atkatz, that link you posted was a phoney thread started by you. Everyone here saw through that thread, Mr. Atkatz. Everyone here knew that Mr. Prisco wasn't going to respond to that thread after all of the names you called him.

To all of the members here who don't remember, below is the link I am referring to. Please go to this link:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=140532&page=10

Scroll down and go to comment number "94." Comment number "94" is Leon's posting of the letter he received from Mr. Prisco's lawyer.

After comment number "94" Mr. David Atkatz DID NOT post one comment. While everyone else participating in that thread supported Leon and continued to post comments, Mr. David Atkatz stopped posting. He backed off criticizing Mr. Prisco in every way, shape and form. One of his previous comments in that thread reads "What's not to get? He and Priddy are in cahoots, and they're both thieves."

But after Leon posted that letter he received from Mr. Prisco's lawyer, he stopped criticizing Mr. Prisco. What happened, David, did you receive a similar email and back off? Did your knees quiver?

I will not apologize for this thread getting off track. I could only ignore Mr. David Atkatz for so long before I have to defend myself. This thread started off benignly as all I wanted to do was expose some horrific forgeries and once again Mr. David Atkatz started in with his sarcastic, personal attacks. I am sorry it came down to this, but I have to defend myself.

David Atkatz
12-09-2011, 02:39 PM
It's Dr. Atkatz to you. ;)

thekingofclout
12-10-2011, 12:09 AM
It's Dr. Atkatz to you. ;)

+1 ;)

RichardSimon
12-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Ebay is tightening up.
If sellers get caught with forgeries too many times or try to repost items that have been taken down, they are history.
I think a few kudos to ebay are in order now.
Though we have all justifiably found fault with them over a long period of time, they are cleaning up their act now.
Lets keep posting the bogus crap. These posts are being watched and I have noticed that the bogus autographs posted here are taken down.

thebigtrain
12-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Chris, I am not a collector myself (at least not of baseball stuff), but I really enjoy looking at everyone's collections online and reading about the hobby & artifacts on forums like this.

I stumbled across your YouTube stuff via the Hauls of Shame website and watched a few of your videos. I had no idea a place like Coach's Corner could get away with listing that garbage, and as a lawyer myself I'm surprised the PA AG office hasn't stepped in and shut this place down. What they are doing is usually referred to as "willful blindness" in the law, similar to the situation where one offers you 10 K to deliver a plain brown package and says "don't look inside it." If you get caught and it turns out to be heroin, of course you can't say "gee, I had no idea," because any reasonable person would of course know that package contained something illegal.

CC of course knows everything they sell is a fake, and their website & presentation are laughable: blurry photos, terrible copy in the lot descriptions, etc. They are marketing to scammers who are going to flip the stuff at mall kiosks and such, and maybe an occassional non-collector who stumbles in there and buys a Ruth ball as a gift for a relative or whatever.

Anyway, I like your videos and think it's great you go after them so hard in the most public of forums. I'm also from NJ so maybe others don't understand that that's our "style' here LOL.