PDA

View Full Version : PSA Situation - Philly show

YankeeCollector
12-07-2011, 08:06 AM
I have been a PSA collector's club member for a few years AND actually never used my vouchers for free grading. I think i had about 12 vouchers or so.

Anyway, I had a Joe DiMaggio baseball with me at the show that I wanted authenticated even though I personally got the autograph. I asked PSA if in Lieu of all these free grading vouchers, that they just authenticate my ball. They didn't even want to hear about it. I told them I had no use for the vouchers because I don't grade cards bc I buy cards graded already.

I thought this was a fair request because the value of the vouchers exceeded the cost of authenticating the ball and I thought maybe since I was a member for a few years, they would make an exception. They didnt want to hear it and I forked over the $75 plus return shipping.

Besides that, they have the WORST and most obnoxious customer service at these shows like they are doing us a favor by accepting our items. I cannot wait for the day when SGC or some other company to become the industry leader.

Leon
12-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Hi Jim
As per the forum rules, if you aren't really well known on the board, your full name needs to be out here in your post. I don't care what you say otherwise.....thanks

Ladder7
12-07-2011, 10:42 AM
No comprendo... You despise em but rewarded them with your biness anyway? Vexing

vintagetoppsguy
12-07-2011, 10:52 AM
No comprendo...

Ditto. If you don't grade cards, why pay the money to become a CC member in the first place?

With that said, I think they should have exchanged your vouchers for the autograph authentication just to make the customer happy. I don't understand the customer service of some businesses (and not just PSA) in today's economy. You would think most companies would do whatever it takes (within reason) to make the customer happy.

ibuysportsephemera
12-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Ditto. If you don't grade cards, why pay the money to become a CC member in the first place?

With that said, I think they should have exchanged your vouchers for the autograph authentication just to make the customer happy. I don't understand the customer service of some businesses (and not just PSA) in today's economy. You would think most companies would do whatever it takes (within reason) to make the customer happy.

+1 How hard would it have been to accommodate an obvious repeat customer?

sycks22
12-07-2011, 10:55 AM
I've submitted items to SGC at a show in the past and they're great. They seemed genuine and happy to take the submission, not like PSA it sounds. I'm confused why you'd want to get a PSA/DNA authentication if you're going to keep the ball for yourself? I could've read that wrong and you're selling it, but if you're keeping it why waste $75?

Leon
12-07-2011, 10:59 AM
And in keeping with board rules the original poster is J@mes Mermigis.

e107collector
12-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Jim,

If you had Joe Dimaggio sign the ball in front of you, you know the sig is good. I wouldn't have given PSA another $75.00 to have someone tell me they feel the ball is legit. If they treated me like that, I wouldn't give them a dime of my money. This is just another reason why I don't deal with PSA. Don't take me the wrong way, that's just my two cents.

Tony

YankeeCollector
12-07-2011, 11:46 AM

I was paying for the SMR, population report and online price guide. I thought they were useful tools.

YankeeCollector
12-07-2011, 11:47 AM
And in keeping with board rules the original poster is J@mes Mermigis.

u can call me Jim:)

Leon
12-07-2011, 11:49 AM
u can call me Jim:)

Thanks for your understanding, Jim :)

YankeeCollector
12-07-2011, 11:49 AM
No comprendo... You despise em but rewarded them with your biness anyway? Vexing

I dont despise anyone. Im just pointing out that they can improve their customer service bc there will come a day when we dont need them.

YankeeCollector
12-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Jim,

If you had Joe Dimaggio sign the ball in front of you, you know the sig is good. I wouldn't have given PSA another $75.00 to have someone tell me they feel the ball is legit. If they treated me like that, I wouldn't give them a dime of my money. This is just another reason why I don't deal with PSA. Don't take me the wrong way, that's just my two cents.

Tony

My best friend's father was Joe D's tailor in Eastchester, NY. Joe D signed several baseballs for us but i wanted to sell this one and knew i reluctantly needed a PSA/DNA certification otherwise it would be tough to sell.

glchen
12-07-2011, 02:21 PM
I guess you don't need to renew anymore since pop reports and SMR will be free in January for PSA.

Does anyone know if you can use someone else's voucher at PSA? If so, I'd offer to buy some of these (at a substantial discount of course).

Fred
12-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Jim,

Can you transfer/sell the vouchers? Perhaps someone on the board would barter/buy them from you?

bbcard1
12-07-2011, 09:03 PM
...or trade something for them...

I just had to give a shoutout for a very positive experience with Jame Spence at the last Oaks show.

YankeeCollector
12-07-2011, 09:36 PM
I have a voucher for 6 submissions for cards with values up to $500. The turnaround time is 7 business days. The voucher is non-transferable. If someone wants me to submit 6 cards for them, we can work out a deal.

mintacular
12-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Welcome to the boards Jim. Initially I was presuppoisng your name was Jomes, or worse case scenario Jumes, until you cleared it up..Thanks!

sbfinley
12-07-2011, 11:21 PM
]

Likely the PSA employees at the show did not have the ability or power to make that call even if it is the right one. There is a such thing as company hierarchy and even though Jim's request sounds fair and reasonable that doesn't mean the PSA employees at the show had the power to accept that request.

WhenItWasAHobby
12-08-2011, 06:37 AM
Besides that, they have the WORST and most obnoxious customer service at these shows like they are doing us a favor by accepting our items. I cannot wait for the day when SGC or some other company to become the industry leader.

How eerie. While ready this comment, I had iTunes shuffling on my laptop and the song "The Balance" by The Moody Blues came on. The chorus to this song is as follows:

"Just open your eyes,
And realize, the way it's always been.
Just open your mind
And you will find
The way it's always been......."

A coincidence you ask? I think not.

YankeeCollector
12-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Likely the PSA employees at the show did not have the ability or power to make that call even if it is the right one. There is a such thing as company hierarchy and even though Jim's request sounds fair and reasonable that doesn't mean the PSA employees at the show had the power to accept that request.

Understood, but there's a way of communicating that to a repeat customer that's more professional than to seem annoyed that Im even asking. They could have handled this in a nicer, cordial and professional manner. Their arrogance is what bothered me!

ibuysportsephemera
12-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Understood, but there's a way of communicating that to a repeat customer that's more professional than to seem annoyed that Im even asking. They could have handled this in a nicer, cordial and professional manner. Their arrogance is what bothered me!
+1 At least make an effort to helpful. A little bit of customer service goes a long way.

whitehse
12-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Maybe I missed this somewhere but did you by any chance Email Joe Orlando at PSA to explain your situation and tell him of the crappy experience you had at the show? I have heard that he can be "accomodating" at times.

Leon
12-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Maybe I missed this somewhere but did you by any chance Email Joe Orlando at PSA to explain your situation and tell him of the crappy experience you had at the show? I have heard that he can be "accomodating" at times.

Actually I think Joe O would be very interested in negative as well as positive feedback.

drc
12-08-2011, 12:38 PM
I assume the vouchers were to have cards graded not autographs authenticated. If so it would have been nice if they accepted them for an autograph authentication, but up to them. Perhaps they they never give out free autograph authentication vouchers or coupons or deals ever (I don't know), so vouchers of any kind are never accepted for autographs.

I do understand your point about customer service, but I also know if you take a grocery store coupon for grapes they probably won't let you apply it to bananas. That's less about the grocery store's customer service, than that the coupons are for grapes not bananas.

T206Collector
12-08-2011, 12:46 PM
There will come a day when we dont need them.

Never have; never will.