PDA

View Full Version : Elmer Gedeon Cut Autograph: Died World War II

Orioles1954
12-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Hello everyone,

I normally only collect cards but recently purchased a scrapbook signed in the Washington DC area in 1939. I was looking up the death dates for each of the players and was interested to find one of Elmer Gedeon who died in 1944. He was the first majort leaguer killed in action in World War II and the only to die in the European theater. Gedeon had 15 at bats for the Senators in 1939 and none after that. I would think there are not too many of these out there. It's a large signature in pencil. Any idea if this is an autograph that has any sort of demand at all?

James

earlywynnfan
12-04-2011, 06:47 PM
I know I'd like one!! Feel free to email me.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Orioles1954
12-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Holy crap! The very next page has Bob Neighbors, who played in September 1939 for the St. Louis Browns. He was the only player to be killed in the Korean war when he was shot down over North Korea. Neighbors made his debut on 9/16/39 and Gedeon on 9/18/39 in Washington. Pinpointing these signatures to that homestand. They never played against each other.

doug.goodman
12-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Very cool. Let's see some pictures...

Scott Garner
12-05-2011, 05:26 AM
Very cool. Let's see some pictures...

But Doug, you don't like autographs, remember?? ;)

Maybe this is where you diversify..... :D

HexsHeroes
12-07-2011, 06:20 PM

1933 Atlanta Crackers team signed album page. Shortly after purchasing this album page, I attempted to contact broadcasting legend Ernie Harwell. I was hoping that Mr. Harwell would have a personal remembrance to share, regarding Duck McKee. Unfortunately, my initial effort to contact Ernie occurred shortly after he announced that he would not undergo (further ?) treatment for his recently diagnosed cancer. Two further mail attempts for a response also went unanswered. While the failure to receive the hoped-upon response was disappointing, it was far insignificant compared to the lost of a man with the baseball history of an Ernie Harwell.

from Gary Bedingfield's Baseball in Wartime website:

John W. "Duck" McKee

Date and Place of Birth: July 7, 1910 Ellenwood, Georgia
Date and Place of Death: March 6, 1945 Belgium
Baseball Experience: Minor League
Position: Outfield
Military Unit: U.S. Army
Area Served: European Theater of Operations

John W "Duck" McKee was born on July 7, 1910 in Ellenwood, Georgia. He was a star athlete at Georgia Tech University, playing football and baseball for four years.

McKee signed with the Atlanta Crackers in the Southern Association upon graduation in 1932 and played 86 games in right field, batting .314. In 1933, he batted .316 in 149 games, and had a .306 average in 141 games in 1934.

The following year - 1935 - he was traded to the Tulsa Oilers of the Texas League but refused to play and voluntarily retired instead. McKee stayed in Atlanta where he married Mary Holcomb and worked as a salesman for Firestone Auto Supplies and Services.

Lieutenant McKee served with the Army in Europe. He was seriously wounded in action on March 6, 1945 and died a few days later.

doug.goodman
12-08-2011, 06:16 PM
But Doug, you don't like autographs, remember?? ;)

Maybe this is where you diversify..... :D

Laughiing

I knew that somebody would post that! :-)

It's not that I don't like autographs, I actually have a pretty good collection of them. But all my autographs I received in person (prior to paid sessions, not that I have any problem with players charging), via mail when I was a kid, or from my dad who volunteers at the LLWS each year and always returns with something signed for me.

Is dad forging signatures? Maybe, but I love the fact that he thinks about me, and puts such effort into it, if so.

Is that 1954 Redman card signed by Willie Mays or is it signed by his dog walker? I don't really care, all I know is that when I was 11, it was pretty cool to get mail from Willie Mays (or his pool guy).

Is that Hank Aaron signature on a little league ball real? Yep, because I handed him the ball, and he signed it then handed it back, an hour or so before he hit career HR #751 in Oakland. This is back when cheap seats holders could still stand by the dugouts during batting practice. Would it pass an authentication? Who knows. I certainly don't care.

Will my wife be able to make a fortune off my non graded stuff after my massive coronary due to the crap food I like to eat? I'll be dead, so I won't be spending much time thinking about it.

Doug

smatthews
08-13-2013, 02:21 PM
I am interested in any memorabilia that had John W."Duck" Mckee. He was my grandmother's first husband and as I get older, look for anything baseball related about him. I have family photos, etc, but would like to see some of his sports stuff.I know it would be rare.

Thank you!