PDA

View Full Version : Fair Price for 1958 World Series Program w/64 Signatures?

nowhouse
12-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Hey Everyone!

Since I first logged in with questions about the small Milwaukee Braves archive that I collected as a kid in the 60's-a lot has changed. I sold most pieces-lot's of ticket stubs, programs, signed photos-on Ebay, and now I'm auctioning my signed 1958 World Series program on Ebay as well. Do you think a starting bid of $995.00 is reasonable considering the baggage that my program comes with?

You all were really helpful and generous with your advice before-I hope you'll consider checking out my sale and sharing your input. You can see lots of photos at this link: http://www.dougscleaningservices.com/1958-Program.html

Thanks a lot!

Mark

nowhouse
12-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Hey Guys,

I got a private message from somebody who suggested that I separate the signatures and sell them by the page. I never entertained that idea before-it seems really wrong-but are there circumstances that justify dividing the autographs because of their mix?

Mark

mr2686
12-03-2011, 04:39 PM
two camps on that one. The parts may end up being worth more than the whole (or maybe not), but there's a lot of us that think it's wrong to chop up things like this. I think it has more significance in it's whole form and there should be some buyers out there that would pay to have it whole.

doug.goodman
12-03-2011, 04:40 PM
You could probably get more money for it, in total, if you cut all the pages out and sold them individually.

But, that would be a sad end to a fantastic piece of memorabilia.

On the bright side, the grading companies would probably be happy to take a bunch of your money and encapsulate the individual pages with a note that states that the pages, in the opinion of the grading company, are authentic.

Doug

drc
12-03-2011, 09:15 PM
My working theory is if you put the whole up for sale at a good price and there are no buyers, the non-buyers forfeit the right to then complain that you break it into pieces because no one would buy the whole.

MilBraves
12-03-2011, 10:33 PM
I was looking at the program and saw the Spahn and Aaron autos and instantly thought, clubhouse. This was before I read your description saying that a major auction house felt some of the Braves sigs were clubhouse. I have seen several Braves team balls with Spahn clubhouse sigs that looks very similar to the one in your program and the Aaron seems off as well.

Maybe a submission to one of the authenticators would be a good idea?

nowhouse
12-04-2011, 09:47 AM
I've been down that road, but what do you do when the authentication "experts" disagree? I've had what seem like more thoughtful and better informed opinions shared by collectors in chat rooms than by paid services. That's why I decided to put it out there-contradictory baggage and all. I was disabled a year and a half ago, and I'm on a very low fixed income. I just can't invest any more money into this program. Happily, I've been able to sell almost all of the rest of my collection to enthusiastic repeat buyers on Ebay. I'd have never guessed that there would have been so much interest in ticket stubs, parking passes, press material, etc.!

nowhouse
12-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Well, I struck out. No bidders on my program-guess my asking price was out of the ball park...

I listed it in the "Buy, Sell & Trade" section of these forums if you wanna take another look.

Mark

Mr. Zipper
12-07-2011, 05:39 PM
As I stated on the other forum, I think this is a great piece, a few clubhouse signatures not withstanding.

Not sure what auction house you submitted it to initially, but I'm not sure why they rejected it just because of a few clubhouse signatures. You'd think all the authentic Yankees would be desirable enough to far outweigh a few CH Braves.

If you have no luck here, try RR auction. They have a monthly auction and typically get decent prices.

nowhouse
12-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the tip, Mr. Zipper!

Mark

nowhouse
12-07-2011, 11:32 PM
I guess the market will determine a fair price. Got it on Ebay again for $775.

nowhouse
12-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Thanks guys, for all the generous advice. Even though I'm not a collector-or even a sports fan-you always made me feel welcome in these Forums. Good luck to all~

Mark

drc
12-08-2011, 03:07 PM
You can include a 'Make an Offer' option