PDA

View Full Version : Does this warrant a negative FB?

bunst
12-02-2011, 02:20 PM
So I win a couple T206's on ebay and they arrived today, but not how I expected. Imagine my surprise to see a flimsy Flat Rate Envelope "rolled" up in my mailbox; and it also had been bent and folded a couple times before that. So I was expecting the worst only to find the paper envelope inside (containing the cards) had slid to the one corner of the Flat Rate Envelope that was somewhat still intact. Miraculously, the cards were undamaged. Should I leave neg. feedback or just let it go because in the end I got the cards as described. I have left a message with the seller that it could have been a problem. Geez, all it would take is to add a couple pieces of cardboard to stiffen the package, or just use a Flat Rate Box for the same cost.

packs
12-02-2011, 02:23 PM
For me, a negative feedback is reserved for a seller who ripped you off or won't accept a return for a reasonable issue with an item. I would have left a negative if the cards were damaged. But would not if they weren't.

chaddurbin
12-02-2011, 02:29 PM
the neutral/neg is for the careless act, regardless of the outcome (in this case the seller got lucky).

anyways we need an "ebay wwn54d" subforum.

sycks22
12-02-2011, 02:31 PM
I had a similar situation happen about 2 years ago. I bought a '69 Topps Mantle white letter and he seriously just threw it in a flimsy plastic case and put it in a regular white mailing envelope. Luckily it wasn't damaged, but I was pissed. I debated leaving a negative feedback, but I thought better of it.

HRBAKER
12-02-2011, 02:33 PM
You suffered no harm, no neg FB is due.
Seller got lucky and so did you.

glchen
12-02-2011, 02:38 PM
I'd leave positive feedback but ding him on Shipping DSR.

Leon
12-02-2011, 02:40 PM
I would leave positive and all 5 stars but in the comment put that the shipping/materials were very poor....that's just me though

obcmac
12-02-2011, 02:46 PM
I mail cards in card savers and plain envelopes all the time. Of course, they aren't top condition to begin with...but I think it's a perfectly fine way to ship. I probably wouldn't do it on a big sale, but I don't think I've ever had a card that was damaged that way either.

Mac

kmac32
12-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Positive feedback but shipping should be low marks? Agree with Leon

bunst
12-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Yeah, That's kind of what I was thinking too. Positive it will be, but with a comment about the poor packaging. Thanks guys!

atx840
12-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Positive feedback but would mention the packaging situation plus send them a note on how it arrived and how they may be able to ship cards more securely (cardboard sandwich, bubble envelope, box etc).

ibuysportsephemera
12-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Wait to see how the seller responds and proceed accordingly....Just my 2¢.

Jeff

TobaccoKing4
12-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Isn't this the reason that they have neutral feedback though?

Anthony S.
12-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Exact same thing happened to me today. These 3 cards arrived in penny sleeves that had been dropped into a small white envelope and stuffed into a flimsy flat rate mailer which was subsequently folded in half so that it could be jammed into my mailbox. No apparent damage to the cards (they were only G to VG to start with), but this seller knows that condition is important to potential buyers, as she described them as crease-free. You'd think she'd take the seemingly obvious step to secure the cards in some way, so that they'd arrive in the same condition in which they were purchased. Edited to add: I'm not gonna neg her, but I will send a note recommending proper packaging, ie put the damn cards between two pieces of firm cardboard.

joeadcock
12-02-2011, 05:26 PM
When first started on Ebay in 2003, I won a few cards and got stuck with a huge mailing bill that was deceitful. I gave him neutral and he promptly gave me negative. His comment to me was "YOU KNOW HOW THIS WORKS".

In this case, would leave positive and mention about the shipping. Positive especially, in that cards are ok. Unless harm, should be no unwarranted foul.

kmac32
12-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Sometimes even if you do package correctly, there can be issues. Recently I sent a SGC graded card to a fellow board member in cardboard and padded envelope. Slab was cracked when it arrived. Card was okay and will need to be reslabbed by SGC but would have preferred USPS used some care in handling. Fortunately the trading partner was understanding and kept the card. Lesson should be print hand stamp and fragile all over the padded envelope so the postal gorillas don't destroy it. Other option is to pay the bribe (insurance) and file a claim when they don't do their job correctly.

prestigecollectibles
12-03-2011, 12:24 AM
I bought a quantity of 6X6X1 white tuck flap boxes. I ship all cards in these boxes either by First Class mail or put them in a Priority envelope. Never had a card damaged. Well worth the investment.

mrmopar
12-03-2011, 12:59 AM
DEFINITELY Leave negative feedback. A careless or thoughtless seller is playing russian roulette with the buyers cards and eventually one will be in the camber!

Other buyers should have a chance to see what risks they will take with this seller OR the seller will get a clue and start paying attention to the details.

I am tired of lazy, cheap or just plain clueless sellers.

Should I leave neg. feedback or just let it go because in the end I got the cards as described.

bunst
12-03-2011, 04:38 AM
Exact same thing happened to me today. These 3 cards arrived in penny sleeves that had been dropped into a small white envelope and stuffed into a flimsy flat rate mailer which was subsequently folded in half so that it could be jammed into my mailbox. No apparent damage to the cards (they were only G to VG to start with), but this seller knows that condition is important to potential buyers, as she described them as crease-free. You'd think she'd take the seemingly obvious step to secure the cards in some way, so that they'd arrive in the same condition in which they were purchased. Edited to add: I'm not gonna neg her, but I will send a note recommending proper packaging, ie put the damn cards between two pieces of firm cardboard.

I'm quite sure we are talking about the same seller here!

rainier2004
12-03-2011, 05:32 AM
So whos the seller?

sycks22
12-03-2011, 08:04 AM
I ship all items in a bubble wrap envelope and put that inside a small flat rate box from USPS. They are prefect for putting cards in and are totally free. They even ship them to you for free in packs of 20. It's assures that no major problems will happen to the card and costs around $5 to ship.

Pup6913
12-03-2011, 07:19 PM
I would leave positive and all 5 stars but in the comment put that the shipping/materials were very poor....that's just me though

+1

Jewish-collector
12-03-2011, 08:09 PM
I just received a decal in a regular envelope with very little protection and emailed the seller this message:

"Hello - I received the item. I just wanted to let you know the decal separated from the backing when I received it. I'm not that particular, so I'm not going to return it because it's so little in cost/value and not worth the trouble. Be careful next time, thought because you might come across a difficult buyer that would want to return it, complain to eBay & give you a negative feedback, etc,.. Thank you. Have a Great Holiday season !!!"

Depending on HOW the seller responds will determine HOW GOOD/BAD my feedback to the seller will be.

Sterling Sports Auctions
12-03-2011, 09:47 PM
In this situation I would do what Leon suggested, enough of those low star rates and you get nasty grams from ebay.

But, I have never understood the fear of leaving negative feedback when the situation warrants it. By not doing it in situations that warrant it, it just gives the seller confidence he can continue doing their wrongs.

I don't think many of you would be happy to find out after you have been wronged that others had the same thing happen but never bothered to leave a negative. The system is in place to help the buyers but too many fear it that it really does not help.

Lee