PDA

View Full Version : The tale of three Magees

t206hound
11-29-2011, 02:28 PM
I had recently picked up an SGC40 T206 Magee (Portrait) in a lot and was excited when I saw one sell on eBay last week (11/21) for $130:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300622425109

Then Sunday (11/27) another one sold for $121 (with shipping):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140643885037

And wouldn't you know it, a third sold last night (11/28) for a paltry $81:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250937352768

I say this somewhat jokingly... but in one week the "market price" for SGC40 Magee Portraits dropped nearly 40%!

In my opinion the Probstein card was the nicest, but the auction only had a scan of the front of the slab. The Broadhurst card appears to have a crease (upper left), yet yielded the best price. The PWCC listing has nice large scans of the front and back, appears crease-free, but has significant rounding of the corners.

A few questions...
Is a crease more acceptable than rounded corners?
Does the lack of a back scan leave money on the table?

dog*dirt
11-29-2011, 03:06 PM
I would prefer rounded corners to creases. I would like to point out as a Phillies collector that both the T206 Magee portrait and batting cards really fluctuate in price for some odd reason.

Andrew

Vegas-guy
11-29-2011, 04:48 PM
I really don't like rounded corners, in some cases it really makes the card look worse than it is. If all the corners are somewhat sharp and it has a "light" crease it doesn't bother me as long as it's not into the face of the person on the card.

tiger8mush
11-29-2011, 07:01 PM
i like the Magee cards in the order they are listed: broadhurst, then probstein, then pwcc.

The middle one is nice, but something to me is weird about the top and bottom cuts. Like the edges are sharper/straighter than the side edges or something. I'm not saying its trimmed cuz its probably not, but for some reason thats the appearance it gives me.

I prefer a light crease or two over rounded corners. Some light corner wear is fine. If its excessive like the PWCC Magee, its too detracting. Creases give it character :)

Matthew H
11-29-2011, 09:59 PM
I'd much rather have a crease then rounded corners. If you have a cards in a binder with sharp corners but the occasional crease, to me, it looks better then having an occasional card with round corners.

A crease is instant damage for the most part. I've found creased cards with sharp corners and a great surface and not much other general wear.

Edit: I think that third magee sold for less because its not as nice as the other two...

freakhappy
11-30-2011, 12:31 AM
When did the portrait sales get this high? I think the last sale is close to where I remember them selling at on average. Maybe I'm wrong, but $130 seems a bit high to me. However, looking at the completed listings, it does seem like these sale prices reflect the average...

I have yet to get the Portrait version...I better hurry before they reach the amount the error is going for :eek:

bh3443
11-30-2011, 05:29 AM
I just wanted to say that EVERY deal with Rick probstien, buying or selling, is a pleasurable and fair deal. Top shelf operation----- I like them!
In my opinion the Probstein card was the nicest!

Regards,
Bill Hedin

mantleman
11-30-2011, 05:33 AM
I agree!!! Just wish he would ship to Canada....he always has great stuff

3-2-count
11-30-2011, 05:33 AM
In my opinion the Probstein card was the nicest!
Regards,
Bill Hedin

Hands down. Agreed!!

t206hound
11-30-2011, 06:43 AM
For those who find the Probstein card to be the best of the bunch (this includes me), why did it sell for less? Here are the only differences I see:
Broadhurst "appears" to have a crease, while Probstein "appears" to be crease free
Broadhurst sold first (on a Monday at 9:30pm EST) while Probstein sold on the following Sunday at 10:10pm EST.
Broadhurst listing contains a backscan.

Looking at the bid history:
only two people went over $75 for the Broadhurst; the underbidder (n***n - 3153) went to $128.
four bidders went over $75 for the Probstein; n***n bid again, but this time stopped at $110.
two bidders over $75 on the PWCC; n***n was the underbidder AGAIN, stopping at $77.

I think if there would have been a backscan on the Probstein, it would have gone $20+ higher than where it ended. Thoughts?