PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Low Budget Vintage Set Collecting

Wichita
11-27-2011, 05:03 PM
I have recently gotten back into baseball card collecting after 20 years or so. (The hobby has changed a lot since the early 90s.) The modern cards do not interest me like they did back then, so for me, vintage is the way to go. Over the past few months I have been lurking on Net54 just trying to relearn the hobby.

I registered with several auction houses to get in on the action. Beautiful glossy auction catalogs have been arriving in the mail almost every week it seems. I really enjoy devouring the descriptions and learning about the various sets and cards. But once the auctions were over, I was just tossing the catalogs in the trash. Seems like a waste, but once the auction is over, what good to me is a catalog?

Then it hit me...I could build ultra low budget vintage sets by clipping out the pictures in the catalogs! I decided to work on N172, T206, T205 using this method. Obviously there is absolutely no monetary value in this type of collecting, but it has been a great way to learn more about the sets and to get my "card acquisition fix" without spending a dime.

I know it sounds silly, but I am having lots of fun with it. What do you think?

iwantitiwinit
11-27-2011, 05:07 PM
I think you're nuts. Only kidding, why not pick a set that can be assembled for a reasonable cost. Maybe 48 bowman, only 48 cards, no truly difficult or rare card that will require a huge outlay, in lower grade (PSA 3 or 4) I bet you can easily assemble it for under 1500.

Brian Van Horn
11-27-2011, 05:10 PM
"Ultra Low Budget Vintage Set Collecting."

Unless we are talking about most W strip card sets, this title is a contradiction in terms.

About the only set I could suggest would be the 1934-36 Diamond Stars.

Leon
11-27-2011, 05:28 PM
I say, if you are having fun, keep doing it.

brianp-beme
11-27-2011, 06:48 PM
You'll know that you have really gone off the deep end when, not satisfied with just the images on the front, you start collecting all the various backs you can find.

Brian

DixieBaseball
11-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Witchita - Not a thing wrong with your collecting habits. Definitely different, but whatever gets your wheels greased! I did something sort of similar about 2 years ago for my twin boys. I put together a complete HOF player and manager (227 cards) collection for $995. I actually acquired all raw HOFer's from 1950 to modern day with real cards, and then I gathered the remaining cards from 1949 back 1887 in all reprint cards. (Frisch,etc.) I also added a twist, as I wanted to get an example of every bowman and topps card from 1950 and up, so that made it a little more challenging and I was able to pull it off in less than a year, so I have a real 1950-1992 HOF player run, and a 1887-1949 HOF reprint run, and all for under $1K. (The real raw cards are in Ex condition range)

ValKehl
11-27-2011, 08:43 PM
Brian - Thanks for letting me know that I "have really gone off the deep end" with respect to collecting WaJo and Sam Rice cards! :)
Val

vargha
11-28-2011, 06:03 PM
So you guys are telling me that my T-206 Ty Cobb Ron Oser Enterprises back card isn't worth anything?

HercDriver
11-28-2011, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure if they're still around, but you could get your collection graded by the guys at NASA (not the spaceship dudes)...

Take Care,
Geno

Chris Counts
11-29-2011, 08:49 AM
About 10 years ago, I too got back into collecting after a 20-year break. At first, I was discouraged by the prices, but soon I came to the realization that graded cards are often way overpriced and I started collecting ungraded cards that simply looked good. Before long, I was doing ebay searches for "trimmed," "authentic," "back damage," "tape stain," etc. Now I have an extensive collection of perfectly flawed "low budget" cards, many of which I picked up at just a fraction of their slabbed value ...

drc
11-29-2011, 12:12 PM
These cutout sets is an interesting concept. You could make them into a collage and frame them.

dabigyankeeman
11-29-2011, 01:04 PM
About 10 years ago, I too got back into collecting after a 20-year break. At first, I was discouraged by the prices, but soon I came to the realization that graded cards are often way overpriced and I started collecting ungraded cards that simply looked good. Before long, I was doing ebay searches for "trimmed," "authentic," "back damage," "tape stain," etc. Now I have an extensive collection of perfectly flawed "low budget" cards, many of which I picked up at just a fraction of their slabbed value ...

I love when i can find a good-looking card that grades low due to the things you mentioned like back-damage, tape stain, etc. Dont forget the infamous pin-hole, i love pin-hole cards, the price comes WAY down and the pin-hole is usually hardly seen.

I have put together a really big collection of Yankees from the early 1900's by being willing to take lessor condition cards. The day i hit the lotto i can start collecting graded cards with high grades. For now, i love my raw lessor condition cards, particularly when i find them in nice-looking condition (to me).

To the starter of this thread i say the whole thing comes down to enjoyment. If you enjoy having the cut-outs, then your collection is great. We all enjoy different things, and this hobby should totally be about enjoyment.

Section103
11-29-2011, 01:05 PM
I can understand where you're coming from. Im not a set collector, but more of a player collector. My master collection list spans many sets from 1910 - 1980. When I find examples, I keep images of the cards on my list if, for no other reason, so I know how to identify those cards in the future.