PDA

View Full Version : 1910 Phili A's Photo Help

WillowGrove
11-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Hi - i recently picked up these 4 photos at an estate sale -and as always when I purchase old photos I am intrigued to know the date they were taken. Or as close to the actual date as possible.

They came framed (and as you can see dated to 1911) but I felt compeled to confirm their condition and that they were original.

In doing some research on them I noticed that in the photo of the two players, they're wearing different uniforms than their teammates in the other photos (as written on the back, "Cy Morgan has just beat a hit to the initial sack, which is being covered by Paddy Livingston in practice game").

The photo with the player sliding into first is Wilbur Good who never played in a regular season game with the A's since he was acquired in 12/09 and dealt on 3/30/10 so it comfirms that this was spring training 1910.

My questions are - why are Paddy and Cy Morgan wearing uni's that don't correspond to the uni's in Mark Okkonen's book? I could guess that for practice games they may have worn old uniforms but they don't correspond to any of the uni's before (or after) 1910.

Also - the player sliding back into the base is wearing a uniform that says 'Atlanta' on it. I know the A's trained in Atlanta in '10 but does anyone have their preseason schedule or know when they played the Atlanta (Crackers?) in a spring game?

Mark F is this a question for you? :) thanks for any insight into dating these.

thanks again

peter

bmarlowe1
11-25-2011, 09:54 PM
If you want me to comment on the ID's, I would want higher res scans - but from what I can see they look OK. I think Gus Egan is probably Arthur "Ben" Egan.

The A's wore the striped caps 1909-1914. During spring training they could be wearing other caps. The Atlanta uni looks similar to what the Crackers wore. That's all I know.

WillowGrove
11-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Thank you Mark. I appreciated your input.