PDA

View Full Version : can anyone report an autograph as being bad on ebay (ali auto)?

chaddurbin
11-24-2011, 11:18 AM
...or do you need some kind of qualification?

had a first happened to me as ebay shut down an auction of mine because someone reported the ali as being bad. it's a 1992 classic with 2 COAs directly from scoreboard. not saying it's 100% legit but auto looks close enough to some others i've seen.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo147/quannimir/cards/mm2-1.jpg

drc
11-24-2011, 01:41 PM
I would imagine anyone can report an auction, but eBay isn't going to shut it down just because anyone reported it.

The only time I had an autograph pulled from eBay it was a Cal Ripken autograph and Ripken had it pulled due to 'property rights' or whatever. Ripken actively markets his autographs and has 'unofficial' sigs pulled from eBay. The sig was genuine-- from the ex-Orioles GM Harry Dalton's estate auction by Mike Gutierrez Auctions. So it wasn't due to authenticity issues and eBay said it wasn't due to authenticity issue. I ended up including it as freeby in an autograph group lot.

Also, the Ripken auto was a cut-- so it wasn't that valuable in the first place.

Harry Dalton had a lot of baseball autographs, but the neatest stuff he kept (and that I won) were his personalized GM season passes to MLB and the minor leagues. I thought those were cooler than autographs. And when I sold a group lot of his autographs, for the winner it was nice documentation of provenance to include one of his passes.

drc
11-24-2011, 02:00 PM
So, after my lengthy but fantastically scintillating and dramatic Cal Ripken Jr autograph story, I wonder if Ali, an active guy who has his autographs marketed, has someone combing through eBay. Ala the Ripken marketing machine, a concern may be whether or not the autograph is 'official.' Someone somewhere decided that celebrities own the rights to their signature just as they due to their image.

Meaning, maybe famous athletes or their reps might try to have an autograph removed even when it's in a PSA holder. Their issue not being whether or not the sig is genuine, but whether or not the seller has the right to market it for money.

Food for thought.

Ringking
11-24-2011, 05:03 PM
...or do you need some kind of qualification?

had a first happened to me as ebay shut down an auction of mine because someone reported the ali as being bad. it's a 1992 classic with 2 COAs directly from scoreboard. not saying it's 100% legit but auto looks close enough to some others i've seen.

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo147/quannimir/cards/mm2-1.jpg

On EVERY item on ebay there is a "report this item" button.

Click it and follow the steps.

I think it takes 5 reports from 5 different ip address before Ebay will even look at the item.

chaddurbin
11-24-2011, 06:32 PM
hmm interesting so 5 people out there thought the auto was bad and reported to ebay? not sure if the item even had 10 page views...

Leon
11-24-2011, 06:40 PM
hmm interesting so 5 people out there thought the auto was bad and reported to ebay? not sure if the item even had 10 page views...

I guess those 10 were real doosies....I quit reporting stuff a long time ago. Just too much crap....It would be a full time job.