PDA

View Full Version : R card question

ethicsprof
11-21-2011, 02:05 PM
As part of my 1900-1939 type collection, i'm nearing the completion of the R
cards and am running into a couple I know nothing about and could use some help.
I just received an R326 big league movies and an R342 thum movies. Both are John Irving Burns. I decided to get the same player for both R's to compare the similarities and differences. Both have the same biography of Burns on the back and it appears that the inner pictures which you flip through quickly to produce a 'movie' look much the same, although the thum appears to have quite a few more pics.
Does anyone know much about these? I know they're both Goudey so i'm wondering what relationship between the big league and thum movie cards was intended by Goudey. Any other information would also be appreciated---speculations,articles, websites, etc. would also be appreciated.
all the best,
barry

Tim Zwick
11-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Hi Barry,

First of all, thanks for purchasing the R326 Burns from me. I've always enjoyed these two sets. I don't have any articles or website information but have found both sets to contain the same movie with the R326 having a Part 1 & Part 2 of each player to achieve this. The R326 was issued a couple years after the R342 set and does have some color variations of the covers. Hope this helps a little

Tim

toppcat
11-21-2011, 05:35 PM
As part of my 1900-1939 type collection, i'm nearing the completion of the R
cards and am running into a couple I know nothing about and could use some help.
barry

Wow-quite impressive!

ethicsprof
11-21-2011, 07:10 PM
tim,
many thanks for the great help! I had a feeling that the part 1 and 2 might equal the Thum because the Thum contained so many more pages than the
Big League. I didn't realize that I bought it from you, tim, but knowing so now
makes it even more special!!!! It is gorgeous and near mint, as you advertised!!
dave,
many thanks for the compliment!! I do enjoy this type collecting and must say that 'nearing completion' reminds me of the old days when we talked of
'taming' the Monster!!
all the best, ole friends

barry

Leon
11-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Hi Barry
As an ardent type collector I should have been able to help but I haven't studied the R's too much yet. I even need to categorize them sequentially and go back to Burdick's writings to make sure I do them correctly. I know I have a thumb movie, or two, but don't think I have them in the correct sequence. While you are at it please don't forget a nice little R325 in the mix. I just added this one a few days ago. I think it was around $10.....take care my friend and hope all is well for you and yours. (the coin is three years earlier than the set!!)

http://luckeycards.com/pr325goudeyknothole.jpg

ethicsprof
11-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Hi Leon,
many thanks for the note and the pic. It's interesting that you mention the
Knot Hole League because that's one i've been looking for lately and don't see them around. 10 dollars seems like a mighty fine deal!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, ole friend.

best,
barry