PDA

View Full Version : Mariners Greg Halman Dead!

Cardboard Junkie
11-21-2011, 08:06 AM
Stabbed to death by his brother in Rotterdam. R.I.P. Very very sad.

prewarsports
11-21-2011, 09:12 AM
I am a huge Mariners fan and watched this kid play every single game he got in this year on television, my son even got a signed Bowman Chrome card of him on his birthday out of a pack and you would have thought he won the lottery! He hit a triple in his first at bat this year with the Mariners and was about 7 for his first 9. He had a ton of talent and from all accounts he was one of the nicest and most teachable young players to come along in years. I am genuinely sad about this and even though I never met Halman, I feel like I knew him. Really unbelievable!

Rhys Yeakley

Runscott
11-21-2011, 09:54 AM
I am a huge Mariners fan and watched this kid play every single game he got in this year on television, my son even got a signed Bowman Chrome card of him on his birthday out of a pack and you would have thought he won the lottery! He hit a triple in his first at bat this year with the Mariners and was about 7 for his first 9. He had a ton of talent and from all accounts he was one of the nicest and most teachable young players to come along in years. I am genuinely sad about this and even though I never met Halman, I feel like I knew him. Really unbelievable!

Rhys Yeakley

Rhys, that's terrible news. Oddly, I haven't gotten any updates from the PI or the Mariners on this - normally they both spam me like crazy

Are you in Seattle? or just a fan? I'm within walking distance of the stadium, so please contact me if you want to see a game sometime. I'll be at all the Astros games in 2013 :) and some of the Rangers games every year.

prewarsports
11-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Born in Seattle so a die hard fan for lifebut now live in Boise, Idaho.

I feel bad in some ways that I have made my kids into such huge Mariners fans, sort of like setting them up for disappointment their whole lives BUT, if the Mariners ever win a World Series I promise I will appreciate it more than any Yankees fan appreciates any one of their 30 or 40 they have won!

My 10 year old son was Dustin Ackley for Halloween (his decision) and I was so proud!

Rhys

Rich Klein
11-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Believe me, I appreciate every time they win a World Series

(1977, 1978, 1996, 1998, 1999. 2000. 2009)

See that's not THAT many :)

Rich

Runscott
11-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Born in Seattle so a die hard fan for lifebut now live in Boise, Idaho.

I feel bad in some ways that I have made my kids into such huge Mariners fans, sort of like setting them up for disappointment their whole lives BUT, if the Mariners ever win a World Series I promise I will appreciate it more than any Yankees fan appreciates any one of their 30 or 40 they have won!

My 10 year old son was Dustin Ackley for Halloween (his decision) and I was so proud!

Rhys

I'm in the same boat as an Astros fan, so in 2013 we can start being miserable together. But even just getting close was huge - 2004 and 2005 I got to see a few playoff games in Atlanta, and it was quite thrilling. Fans of bad teams need less in order to get excited. I still remember the excitement of the '69 season when the Astros battled the Braves up until the last month - they even printed World Series tickets, just to be ready (I have some). That was also the year that the Cubbies caved in to the Mets.