PDA

View Full Version : Thurman Munson ball at Imperial Auctions

YankeeCollector
11-19-2011, 09:24 AM
PSA is unable to render whether its authentic or not. Has anyone ever heard of this? My problem with the ball is that the person who got it signed said he got it signed in 1974. That Official American League ball wasnt available until 1975 and the 1974 Official AL had a "Reach" emblem on it. Any thoughts? The sig does look good though!

perezfan
11-19-2011, 09:31 AM
I would stay away... do not like this one at all.

cdonne
11-19-2011, 10:19 AM
All,
Thanks for your comments.
In full disclosure, this is a ball that I acquired from the original collector who obtained it directly from Munson.
I've handled at least a dozen Munson signed balls over the last several years, nearly all of which have originated from the person(s) who received Munson's signature themselves (4 from one gentleman in fact). For whatever reason, I've had good fortune in acquiring Munson autographs as compared to most dealers/auction houses. With that said, I am fully confident in the authenticity of this signed ball. If it does not sell, I will gladly keep it a while longer or indefinitely perhaps.

Without going to deep into third party LOA's, I will say this: On more than one occasion there have differing opinions between the "big two" authenticators. One says no, the other says yes to an authentic signature. (A Munson autograph btw)...

In sum, there have been instances when I feel confident in moving forward with an item or collection without an LOA from PSA or JSA- and this is one of them. Another of the top of my head is the Lou Gehrig signature, c.1917 (http://www.imperialsports.net/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=127&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1&seo=Henry-Lou-Gehrig-Signed-), which was further justified by the Heritage sale this month.

If someone does not feel comfortable bidding on the ball, I completely understand. No worries, and as mentioned, I may just keep it.
I will say this though...if a forgery, where are the rest of them because it is the best one in existence...period.

Thanks everyone.

travrosty
11-19-2011, 12:51 PM
it didnt receive a psa loa, so it's most likely good. Don't get hung up on the big two authenticators. They failed a few good Sonny Liston's and passed the wife signed ones. Their 'opinion' is what you make of it.

YankeeCollector
11-19-2011, 12:58 PM
All,
Thanks for your comments.
In full disclosure, this is a ball that I acquired from the original collector who obtained it directly from Munson.
I've handled at least a dozen Munson signed balls over the last several years, nearly all of which have originated from the person(s) who received Munson's signature themselves (4 from one gentleman in fact). For whatever reason, I've had good fortune in acquiring Munson autographs as compared to most dealers/auction houses. With that said, I am fully confident in the authenticity of this signed ball. If it does not sell, I will gladly keep it a while longer or indefinitely perhaps.

Without going to deep into third party LOA's, I will say this: On more than one occasion there have differing opinions between the "big two" authenticators. One says no, the other says yes to an authentic signature. (A Munson autograph btw)...

In sum, there have been instances when I feel confident in moving forward with an item or collection without an LOA from PSA or JSA- and this is one of them. Another of the top of my head is the Lou Gehrig signature, c.1917 (http://www.imperialsports.net/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=127&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=1&seo=Henry-Lou-Gehrig-Signed-), which was further justified by the Heritage sale this month.

If someone does not feel comfortable bidding on the ball, I completely understand. No worries, and as mentioned, I may just keep it.
I will say this though...if a forgery, where are the rest of them because it is the best one in existence...period.

Thanks everyone.

Hey Chris,

Nice ball. The signature does look good to me but that ball was not available until at least 1975. Did u take it to JSA as well?

YankeeCollector
11-19-2011, 12:59 PM
it didnt receive a psa loa, so it's most likely good. Don't get hung up on the big two authenticators. They failed a few good Sonny Liston's and passed the wife signed ones. Their 'opinion' is what you make of it.

I hear ya.

cdonne
11-19-2011, 02:33 PM
I did Jim...they were not in favor.

travrosty
11-19-2011, 06:28 PM
I suppose they didnt tell you specifically what they didnt like about it? Besides weasel words.

they should have if they are in the service business. did jsa (or psa) know that the other had knocked it down already?