PDA

View Full Version : King of Prussia, PA Show (Dec. 2-4)

bcbgcbrcb
11-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Well, it's a little bit early but with Thanksgiving coming up next week, just wanted to find out if any Net 54'ers will be attending this one? I will most likely make the trip on Saturday although there is a small chance that I will go on Friday instead.

Jewish-collector
11-18-2011, 05:59 PM
I plan to be there all day Friday. If anyone wants to meet me before the show for lunch, LMK. http://forum.mydyingbride.org/images/smilies/beerchug.gif

Jay Wolt
11-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Just a heads-up that the show is no long at Fort Washington, its in Valley Forge.
The show started in Willow Grove, then moved to Ft Washington, then to Reading and now w/ Hunts in Valley Forge.
Hate for anyone to show up at the wrong place.

bcbgcbrcb
11-18-2011, 11:51 PM
You're right, Jay, thanks for the correction. Wishful thinking on my part..........

mets41
11-19-2011, 12:14 AM
Jay--

The first three shows were at Spring Garden College in the Chestnut Hill section of Philadelphia. In March, 1978, the show relocated to the George Washington Motor Lodge in Willow Grove. The last show at Spring Garden College (9/77) was the first show I ever attended (it was a 10 minute road trip).

cfc1909
11-19-2011, 09:57 AM
Dan

I didn't see you at Oaks-maybe next time

hope all is well

Leon
11-19-2011, 11:11 AM
I wonder if anyone on the board got the alleged letter stating that if you set up at certain other shows you wouldn't be allowed to set up at this one? I wouldn't mind reading that letter. It was all the talk at the Oaks show....

tedzan
11-19-2011, 11:36 AM
I got a letter and a "verbal". Cheryl called me a few days prior to the Sept. Valley Forge (VF) show, asking me to do this
show.
I had a long conversation with her, in which I went through a litany of reasons why I was not setting-up at the VF show.
Besides, I told her that I was doing the Oaks show. To paraphrase her, she said......"Oaks is in November, so you (I) still
could do the Sept. show; but, not the Dec. show"

I might still have the letter I received. If I can find it, I will send it to you. But, I may have thrown it in the garbage.

TED Z

MooseWithFleas
11-19-2011, 11:56 AM
I wonder if anyone on the board got the alleged letter stating that if you set up at certain other shows you wouldn't be allowed to set up at this one? I wouldn't mind reading that letter. It was all the talk at the Oaks show....

Are they trying to scare dealers away?

MGHPro
11-20-2011, 03:47 PM
This is posted on their website under dealer forms. Its contract rules.

26. Any dealer who wishes to exhibit at the Philly Show may not exhibit at competing sports show with (50) miles of the Valley Forge venue
within (60) days of a Philly Show date. (NOTE: Per dealer inquiries, this policy applies to major sports convention shows only. Small ‘mall’
shows and dealer ‘shop’ appearance shows are not applicable).

basesareempty
11-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Matt- I cannot believe that they put that in writing on their website. Like Marco posted on the CSA site a few months back, card dealers are an independent bunch and are not too receptive to being told what shows they can or cannot do( or something to that effect). Hunt's is trying to monopolize the Philadelphia market through heavy handed scare tactics rather than through good marketing and reasonable pricing for dealers who are the life blood of this industry. Good Luck with that strategy!

mets41
11-20-2011, 11:12 PM
If Hunt is saying "either you do my show or the show in Oaks but if you do Oaks we don't want you setting up here", this may be the end of Hunt's show in Valley Forge. I've heard that Hunt (at least when he first took over) was charging almost double what was being charged when Bob Schmierer was running the show. (the table fees may be because of what the site is charging Hunt, but possibly other, less expensive sites are available if he looks around the area). I hope he re-evaluates his business plan. I've liked going to shows because it provides face to face interaction in making deals and socializing with friends in the hobby.

Jewish-collector
11-21-2011, 12:10 PM
This might be the beginning of the end for Hunt's Philly show.

judsonhamlin
11-21-2011, 02:42 PM
I just hope that any division of dealers between Hunt and Oaks doesn't wind up sinking both shows.

skelly
11-24-2011, 09:14 PM
This show has gone from being a not to miss event if you lived within a couple hours driving distance to a complete waste of time. This show basically got myself and a couple buddies back into the hobby when we learned about it 5-6 years ago ( used to be in Reading ) Used to be well attended, lots of reasonably priced dealers, etc... I would get excited about this show a week out back in the day. No more, and as my friend commented last time "707 doesn't even have his large display." This show used to completely trump the White Plains show. Many people ( at least in the New Jersey area ) now feel the White Plains show is better. Really an absolute shame, this show is a shell of what it used to be. I realize that it might be different for me as I couldn't care less about autograph guests, etc.