PDA

View Full Version : T206 Boston American team set

ubiqty
11-18-2011, 08:32 AM
Should I consider my set complete without the Smith card (Chicago and Boston)? Could someone let me know the history of him and Boston and this card?

Thanks in advance,
Scott.

Abravefan11
11-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Frank Smith was traded from Chicago to Boston on August 9, 1910. When the 350-460 subjects began being printed in the second half of 1910 with 350 Series backs the Smith card team caption was Chicago. In late 1910 when the 350-460 and 460 Only subjects began being printed for the 460 Series the team caption of Smith was changed to include Boston.

Whether you need it to complete a team set is a matter of personal preference in my opinion.

BCauley
11-18-2011, 09:32 AM
This was one of my little projects for the year, building the T206 Boston Americans team set. When I came to this same exact hurdle, I hemmed and hawed about it but ultimately I went with not including him and decided to just go with the players who are in a Boston uniform.

ubiqty
11-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Thank you guys very much. I think I've decided to hem and haw a bit more and buy one in a PSA 4 if it's at a reasonable price.
Thanks,
Scott.

Bosox Blair
11-18-2011, 11:22 AM
I have not included him in mine. No real great rationale - the card just doesn't fit visually into the subset, and it is an expensive common.

Cheers,
Blair

milkit1
11-18-2011, 01:22 PM
I have a white sox team set and as far as I'm concerned you have to have every card for it to be a set. I got a presentable one for $50.

sox1903wschamp
11-18-2011, 10:26 PM
I have not included him in mine. No real great rationale - the card just doesn't fit visually into the subset, and it is an expensive common.

Cheers,
Blair

I have also not included the Smith in my subset but then again, I include the T3 Lord of Boston and Chicago fame in my Bost-American Turkey subset so like Blair states above, us collectors have no real "rationale" ;)..although he is clearly in a Boston uni here and the same with the Niles T3 which is dual teams but a Bost uniform so I include him.

Bosox Blair
11-18-2011, 11:12 PM
I have also not included the Smith in my subset but then again, I include the T3 Lord of Boston and Chicago fame in my Bost-American Turkey subset so like Blair states above, us collectors have no real "rationale" ;)..although he is clearly in a Boston uni here and the same with the Niles T3 which is dual teams but a Bost uniform so I include him.

LOL - me too on all counts...so maybe there is a rationale that only the two of us understand...:D.

Cheers,
Blair

shaunsteig
11-19-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm gonna differ with the trend on this thread, but my instinct would be to include him. He played on Boston during the time that the set was produced, and has a card from the set ascribing him to the Boston team. Just cause the Boston team designation was added to the Chicago instead of replacing it, and that the picture front wasn't changed, shouldn't exclude him from the Boston team set.
--S